2020 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Looks like the one & dones gonna be around a few more years. Adrian Wojnarowski said yesterday it will be at least 2025 before the NBA gets rid of it. Also it looks like the G league thing from this year may be temporary. It Looks like the NBA helped them to get some of the best prospects so that the kids could be playing basketball this year as the NBA is concerned there will not be at least a full college basketball season Coming up. They wanted to go ahead and get the best in the system so that they have a better chance of getting some games in as chances are higher G league plays games more than college basketball right now.

Again just Auburn’s luck to be so highly regarded only to be thwarted by an experimental one year circumstance. lol

• Angry 1

I thought the reason they couldn’t get the one and done nixed was bc of the NCAA’s end. If the nba chose to continue the one and done AND begin the super GLeague, they’re curb stomping little brother 

3 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Again just Auburn’s luck to be so highly regarded only to be thwarted by an experimental one year circumstance. lol

If it makes you feel any better we weren't getting Green or Brown anyway.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I thought the reason they couldn’t get the one and done nixed was bc of the NCAA’s end.

Pretty sure it's all on NBA's end. They don't care what the NCAA's does.

48 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't see any JT Thor highlights.

If we miss on Brown tomorrow as expected don't be surprised if Bruce waits to see who reclassifies from the 2021 class, since reclassification requirements for them dropped, before filling out the last 2 or 3 spots. Or he knows of some kids planning to reclassify & has guys in mind.

39 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If we miss on Brown today as expected don't be surprised if Bruce waits to see who reclassifies from the 2021 class, since reclassification requirements for them dropped, before filling out the last 2 or 3 spots. Or he knows of some kids planning to reclassify & has guys in mind.

Good point.

But getting a GT guard is not in those 2-3 spots Pearl would wait to fill, right?  I assume he will sign a GT guard anytime he finds one he can get a commitment from....

46 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Good point.

But getting a GT guard is not in those 2-3 spots Pearl would wait to fill, right?  I assume he will sign a GT guard anytime he finds one he can get a commitment from....

Staff hasn't found another 2 guard they like (besides green) per rivals. hence us never going hard after one of these SG transfer's.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I assume he will sign a GT guard anytime he finds one he can get a commitment from

I wouldn’t assume that precisely for the reason GWill stated above and because Coach Pearl said not long ago he was planning on signing six high schoolers. Now if someone does transfer out or Coach pearl can’t land the quality he wants of highschoolers with those last two spots  I could see him bringing in a transfer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

I am becoming a bit anxious about the guard position and the lateness in the process. 

For what it’s worth a few auburn insiders say be patient and that Coach Pearl has a good plan to fill out the guard spot. Also given the circumstances it’s not really late until we get to somewhere around July and don’t have things filled out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ellitor said:

For what it’s worth a few auburn insiders say be patient and that Coach Pearl has a good plan to fill out the guard spot. Also given the circumstances it’s not really late until we get to somewhere around July and don’t have things filled out.

Thats a good point. If  I remember, when Pearl had to scramble after Mitchell decided to transfer, he signed McCormick in June. So hopefully, if it's not a HS player, he can find a good veteran. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 1:38 PM, doverstutts said:

I am becoming a bit anxious about the guard position and the lateness in the process. 

I think BP has done an admirable job when he's had to scramble to pick up the pieces. We really just need a decent shot creator 2 guard and a back up playmaking 1. The latter is probably going to be way easier to find

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think BP has done an admirable job when he's had to scramble to pick up the pieces. We really just need a decent shot creator 2 guard and a back up playmaking 1. The latter is probably going to be way easier to find

It's likely Bruce is going to try to find both in 1 combo guard.

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Evans Seven: Programs taking their recruiting to a new level

Corey Evans • Basketball Recruiting
Basketball Analyst

While the blueblood programs remain Goliaths on the recruiting trail, there are several other programs that have been excelling lately. In this week’s Evans Seven, we highlight seven schools that are enjoying unprecedented recruiting success. These programs are accomplishing more than they ever have during the Rivals.com era, and they seem poised to continue winning on the recruiting trail going forward.

1. AUBURN 

Sharife Cooper

Sharife Cooper (https://rivals.com)

It is not as if Bruce Pearl has struggled to land national talent during his career. Whether it was Duke Crews and Tobias Harris at Tennessee or Chuma Okeke, Horace Spencer and Austin Wiley during his early years at Auburn, Pearl has consistently been a go-getter on the recruiting trail (though he did serve a three-year show cause penalty for recruiting violations at Tennessee).

But, in recent years Auburn has been a competitor not just for the best talent in its region but also nationally. Sure, five-stars Isaac Okoro and Sharife Cooper weren’t forced to go far to from home for college, but the Tigers were in the final two for Fresno native Jalen Green and remain in the mix for top-ranked junior Jon Kuminga. The Tigers appear to be in position to have even greater success every March going forward.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This is the recruiting stuff that drives me crazy. We think we are in the final list of a player then it just blows up in our face.

For example take Frank Anselem 

Anselem, a 6-foot-10, 210-pound center from Napa (Calif.) Prolific Prep, was previously down to Alabama, Georgia and LSU.

Ok, but now this player is NOW considering Arkansas, Kentucky, San Diego State, Seton Hall, Syracuse and Western Kentucky. How does a kid who has it down to 3 teams, all of a sudden totally removes all of them from his list and comes up with totally different list. It's not like this is early in his recruitment. He is a 2021 reclassifying to 2020.

Another one...Sanogo

He is down to a final 6 which supposedly includes Auburn. One source has it down to 4(with AU, Seton Hall, Maryland, and Nebraska). So who does he commit to? UConn. And in the 24/7 reporting his announcement, it doesn't even mention Auburn in the list much less a final 4 choice for him. 

It is mind boggling....I will never feel good until the day they announce and I have at least 5 CBs. :slapfh:

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

How does a kid who has it down to 3 teams, all of a sudden totally removes all of them from his list and comes up with totally different list.

2 things

1. These are kids & can change their minds on a whim.

2. In this case maybe his original top 3 were willing to take him as a 2021 Grad but not as a 2020 Grad.

Also basketball recruiting often times is harder to track & have good info that football recruiting.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ellitor said:

2 things

1. These are kids & can change their minds on a whim.

2. In this case maybe his original top 3 were willing to take him as a 2021 Grad but not as a 2020 Grad.

Also basketball recruiting often times is harder to track & have good info that football recruiting.

In addition to this - sometimes a reclass gets schools involved who have missed on priority targets at the recruit’s position that wouldn’t have necessarily offered if they stayed in their original class. (See Anselem and Kentucky.) 

12 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

In addition to this - sometimes a reclass gets schools involved who have missed on priority targets at the recruit’s position that wouldn’t have necessarily offered if they stayed in their original class. (See Anselem and Kentucky.) 

And vice versa. Duke is apparently trying to convince Kuminga to stay in the 2021 class where there's a much higher chance they would take him.

There is one (1) individual in this state who could protect Gus's rep routinely while taking slights at Bruce Pearl 

even the worst bama fan you know couldn't will himself to do so

• Like 1