Fall Camp: Day 7 - First Scrimmage (8/8)

Auburn Kev

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Nix has one legit interception so that's fine. Any word on Seth's injury? I would think it's not serious since no one has reported yet. WRs have been bad last fall camp and the spring camp even without injuries.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yup! I was about to post on this but if the reports of Brown & Davidson only taking 10 snaps while the 1st team was out there is true then & I'm worried since that implied the 1st team OL was actually dominated by some 2nd teamers.

Oregon’s DL doesn’t scare me at all. If we struggle against them then we won’t win many games in the SEC. I’m still hopeful they’ll get it together. No way they can be worse than the last two years imo. 

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I wasn't speaking specifically to you. Barnacle hit the nose on the head as to what my post meant.

Basically it should be considered an unfair disadvantage for both of them, if I am not mistaken? 

1 minute ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

No way they can be worse than the last two years imo. 

Yes there is. Injuries to one or both starting OTs (knocking on wood).

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Can't remember if I've seen anyone else touch on it but Seth apparently had a hamstring injury.

Shoot that stinks. Hopefully it is minor and he will be back by game 1. 

The WR crew is falling apart. 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Basically it should be considered an unfair disadvantage for both of them, if I am not mistaken? 

I don't necessarily think it's unfair because it's done to prevent injury. I see it just as a disadvantage for any QB to notb e able to go live.

7 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Any word on Seth's injury? I would think it's not serious since no one has reported yet

Think it happened early & was held out for precautionary reasons.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I don't necessarily think it's unfair because it's done to prevent injury. I see it just as a disadvantage for any QB to not e able to go live.

Yeah that’s where I am kind of at with this. I think it equally is a disadvantage to both but I understand why the need not to go live. Like I said before, even NFL teams don’t let the QBs get hit in practice. Now, this would be different if neither QB never went live all spring, summer or fall but that is not the case. 

25 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Well Marshall changed as soon as he had to play in a real offense(NFL)

We are not NFL.

26 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Hurts skipped the draft because he wasn't good enough yet

You’re still talking about the NFL.

25 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Barnacle hit the nose on the head

Not really. Can’t affect both equally when only one can throw it like a 7 v 7 camp warrior.

Nix is above average at athletic ability. Gatewood is a freak. 

Equally my ass. 

42 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

will never happen. Expect to see both against Oregon imo.

Yep, Gus said as much earlier this week (no live QBs). I know that it would be a huge gamble to have them go live that could backfire tremendously. I guess the negatives would outweigh the positives in this case. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Not really. Can’t affect both equally when only one can throw it like a 7 v 7 camp warrior.

Nix is above average at athletic ability. Gatewood is a freak. 

Equally my ass. 

You could easily argue that not going live is of greater benefit to Gatewood than it is for Nix, it just depends on how you want to look at it. 

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

You could easily argue that not going live is of greater benefit to Gatewood than it is for Nix, it just depends on how you want to look at it. 

I think the opposite. Gatewood, the less polished passer, can show his ability more w/ live rushes so coaches can see his ability to escape the rush, pass on the run and also run the option. there would also be a better feel for his down field passing if he knew he had to find a WR, throw it, before he gets hit...

Not going live for Gatewood may give a false sense of improvement and success. JMO...

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

You could easily argue that not going live is of greater benefit to Gatewood than it is for Nix

Not without doing mental gymnastics. 

You got a guy 6’5 nearly 240 and still little raw as a passer that is restricted to a Stidham type passing offense.

Nawwww

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

A QB has to be able to pass 1st and foremost. Otherwise, a dual threat QB isn't very dual. 

Another brilliant statement......................... such greatness we are so blessed

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I think the opposite. Gatewood, the less polished passer, can show his ability more w/ live rushes so coaches can see his ability to escape the rush, pass on the run and also run the option. there would also be a better feel for his down field passing if he knew he had to find a WR, throw it, before he gets hit...

Not going live for Gatewood may give a false sense of improvement and success. JMO...

How would it give him a false sense of improvement? If he was making quality passes without the need to run, wouldn’t that make him even more dangerous with the ability to run? 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Not without doing mental gymnastics. 

You got a guy 6’5 nearly 240 and still little raw as a passer that is restricted to a Stidham type passing offense.

Nawwww

You take a way a player's strengths and force them to work on their weaknesses. It's almost like this is practice, and the goal is to get better. If you are defending a point guard who favors his right hand, you force him to his left. If you are coaching him, you do the exact same thing. It's actually pretty logical. 

16 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

We are not NFL.

You’re still talking about the NFL.

Oh no, how terrible of me to show that some of those you listed are not good QBs. You dont build sustained success off of nick marshals. If you did, Paul Roads would kickass. Hurts couldn't even hold onto his starting job after 3 years and multiple nattys. How terrible that he lose his job to a worse runner, but better QB. 

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Yes. Like Cole said, there are also the little things that can come into play. How does a QB react when he is about to get teed off on.  

Stidham is doing amazing now in the NFL when he can bounce around 5 seconds. What about when he is allowed to get hit? 

@ellitor How far back are Brahms, Stutts, Hamm, or any of the other backup OL in a development standpoint from the current starters?  Most of the 2s have been around at least a season now and should be getting it by now.  I’ve also heard some of these younger guys are meaner than some of the current starters.

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

You take a way a player's strengths and force them to work on their weaknesses

That sounds like our gameplan doing ZR with Sean White. Is that you Gus?

For example, in 2010, when we had the cam back, Cam Newton couldn't just run all over Bama. We had to pass the ball to win that game. 90 percent he could do that, but there will come a time where you won't be able to just use your legs to open things up.

Archived