Fall Camp: Day 7 - First Scrimmage (8/8)

Auburn Kev

My thought on Nix is that we will see more INTs with him at QB, not because he isn’t seeing the field, but because he is willing to take chances and allow his WRs to make plays. You could see that in the ADay game. His TD throw on the offsides was across his body and back across the field through traffic. He worked the TE on a few check downs with the LB in tight coverage. His INT in the spring game came on one of these type throws too. I for one don’t mind an increase in INTs if it means he isn’t afraid of throwing into tight windows. That was one thing that always bothered me with Stidham. So many times during 2017 and 2018 he would hesistate because the WR wasn’t clearly separated. Only time he threw contested balls was on 3rd and longs with game on the line.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DAG said:

He is going to have to get over it, especially if he wants to be productive at the next level. You cannot always depend on your feet.

He should get over not being able to utilize his primary asset?  lol okay 

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Could’ve had a heckuva lot more information  if Joey went live. Nix too. Hate to beat this dead horse but you just cannot evaluate Joey’s performance without it. 

Joey in particular is being asked to play scrabble when his strength is chess. 

I agree it will most definitely open up some options when you can run, but you have to able to pass too. He looked good (as did Nix) is the spring game and that was not live. 

Sounds like they both just struggled. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

I think the coaches know what both are capable of doing in a live environment. This is about stressing them with the installs and seeing how they can handle duress when limited to only throwing the ball. I think it’s fair because hopefully during games they are always trying to throw the ball even when scrambling to extend the play. 

No use getting either QB hurt if you know they are both lethal with their legs.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Yes. You won’t survive very long if at the QB position your primary skill is running. Only person who had an inkling of success from that was Vick. No even Cam had to learn how to use his running abilities as an added luxury. 

And if you get to a point of just hoping to rely on your running abilities, you are going to be in a world of hurt when teams FORCE you to pass the ball. We are trying to get away from being one dimensional here. JG is a DT qb not just an athlete 

Just now, DAG said:

Yes. You won’t survive very long if at the QB position your primary skill is running.

His feet opens up passing lanes and extends plays that were blown dead just saying. If Gus wanted to find out that Joey isn’t as sharp with his arm being his only tool against a great defense, he got just that. We will be figuring out one of them until week 4.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

JG is a DT qb

That’s right. Not a strictly passing quarterback as dictated by today’s scrimmage

It’s easier to pass when you can force the defense to respect your escapeability and legs. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

His feet opens up passing lanes and extends plays that were blown dead just saying. If Gus wanted to find out that Joey isn’t as sharp with his arm being his only tool against a great defense, he got just that. We will be figuring out one of them until week 4.

I don’t disagree with that at all. I am just saying this will not always be the case. It’s going to come a time when you face a UGA, Bama, etc and they are going to take away that strength to the best of their ability. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

That’s right. Not a passing quarterback as dictated by today’s scrimmage

It’s easier to pass when you can force the defense to respect your escapeability and legs. 

But Bo nix also has escape ability too? Lol. I am sure they had the opportunity to escape and Gus blew the whistle dead. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I don’t disagree with that at all. I am just saying this will not always be the case. It’s going to come a time when you face a UGA, Bama, etc and they are going to take away that strength to the best of their ability. 

Well I know that. Gatewood will progress over time hopefully. Check Marshall’s stats for his first game. Progress can be made once his talents are fine tuned to the playbook. 

Also I think of you are a true DT. You should be equally comfortable passing as you are running . At the next level, QBs rarely ever go live with full contact at practice . 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

But Bo nix also has escape ability too? Lol. I am sure they had the opportunity to escape and Gus blew the whistle dead. 

Sure. He’s little more balanced. Doesn’t mean he will be as effective as Joey on the collegiate level. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Well I know that. Gatewood will progress over time hopefully. Check Marshall’s stats for his first game. Progress can be made once his talents are fine tuned to the playbook. 

This is true but again I want to make the point that if he wants to play at the next level , he is going to have to fine tune both skill sets. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Sure. He’s little more balanced. Doesn’t mean he will be as effective as Joey on the collegiate level. 

Yep. I honestly think JG skillset is more effective for a Gus offense. I am just thinking about the future. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

You should be equally comfortable passing as you are running

Cam wasn’t even that until late in the season 

Same for Marshall. 

They turned out okay. 

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Nick was terrible the first game.  I remember leaving the stadium thinking 6-6 if we’re lucky.  Wazzou’s qb even called Nick our post game.  It took Cam till the 2nd half against Clemson to find his footing.

Edit:  it helps having a Darvin Adams that catches everything.  Hopefully Seth can be that for whoever wins he job this season.

Man guys. I have been on this forum all Spring and summer and reading how everybody is getting hyped about the season and has "a feeling" and all this. This is one scrimmage, It isn't the end of the world. Things went good and some went bad. We watch film and work on the bad. The Def is at an advantage in these scenarios anyways. I'm not over concerned from any of the info posted. Im actually surprised about some of it. Let's wait to give up the season until we see a little more. Folks talking like we are doomed. Not everyone but you know who you are

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Cam wasn’t even that until late in the season 

Same for Marshall. 

They turned out okay. 

Yes and cam got to a point where he could make all the capable throws in this offense. He didn’t just rely on his legs although that was a big part of his success. At the next level , Cam continued to grow from that standpoint. I don’t think Cam would see it as a disadvantage that he couldn’t play live for that very reason. When you are doing drill for those coaches at the next level, or at the combine, they are going to put you specifically in positions where you don’t need to get bailed out by your legs.

We definitely will have to disagree with NM comfortability. I tend to think part of the reason he chose not to pursue a career at QB at the next level because he knew he couldn’t make all those throws. He can put athlete with the best of them, but that will only take you so far.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes and cam got to a point where he could make all the capable throws in this offense.

That can be Gatewood. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

We definitely will have to disagree with NM comfortability. I tend to think part of the reason he chose not to pursue a career at QB at the next level because he knew he couldn’t make all those throws. He can put athlete with the best of them, but that will only take you so far.

He was great for Auburn though. I think Gatewood can be if given the chance to mature. But again, two different talents, one football.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

That can be Gatewood. 

He was great for Auburn though. I think Gatewood can be if given the chance to mature. But again, two different talents, one football.

Yep I think gatewood can definitely be that . Which is why I think he will also be the starter. He already has god given talent and size! That stuff can not be taught . The other things can be fine tuned.

Sounds like a great scrimmage to me.  I think it's great we made the offense struggle.  Put some fire under underneath their feet and urgency to get better before the opener.  Reduces complacency.  It sounds like we threw everything at our QB's too.  That is what you want.

I’ve yet to hear of any injuries, so that is the scrimmage highlight of the day to me. Whatever the QBs did or didn’t look like in a first scrimmage, I’m withholding judgement until Oregon. Scrimmages have a limited offensive playbook, limited defensive looks and blitzes, key playmakers held out, etc..It’s a slight notch above an A-Day game. I bet we look much better by game week. 

A QB has to be able to pass 1st and foremost. Otherwise, a dual threat QB isn't very dual. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

A goodies post from the rant says we struggled on the O line. 

When you're going up against the projected number 1 defensive line in the country, a few mistakes are probably going to happen... 

Archived