Fall Camp: Day 7 - First Scrimmage (8/8)

Auburn Kev

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Yes. Like Cole said, there are also the little things that can come into play. How does a QB react when he is about to get teed off on.  

Stidham is doing amazing now in the NFL when he can bounce around 5 seconds. What about when he is allowed to get hit? 

But Bill Belichick isn't letting his QBs get hit, so is he wrong for that?

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

That sounds like our gameplan doing ZR with Sean White. Is that you Gus?

You think making Gatewood (our quarterback, by the way) throw the football in practice is akin to Sean White running the zone read? 

Y'all are acting like the coaches are somehow unaware of Gatewood's ability to run the football, but you all admit that he isn't a well polished passer. Then, when the coaches take away his ability to run the ball - in practice, mind you - they are somehow doing him a disservice? If the goal is to develop our quarterbacks, then we need to spend time developing them. It's crazy, I know. 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

For example, in 2010, when we had the cam back, Cam Newton couldn't just run all over Bama. We had to pass the ball to win that game. 90 percent he could do that, but there will come a time where you won't be able to just use your legs to open things up.

I agree then Joey has to be able to perform in whatever way that gets the job done. If Joey was the starter and couldn’t get it done, then that’s another issue. Nix being more balanced doesn’t mean he can do well then either. We want gamers of all shapes and sizes. 

And the next person that says it’s the QBs job to throw, do you also tell Joel Embiid that he can’t shoot 3s? I’ll hang up and wait.

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

And the next person that says it’s the QBs job to throw, do you also tell Joel Embiid that he can’t shoot 3s? I’ll hang up and wait.

In practice!? Why not? You already know the dude can drain three's. If he needs help in other facets of the game, it's totally logical to force him to work on his weaknesses. I'm not even suggesting that the goal of not going live is for the purpose of forcing Joey to throw - but I think that could end up being a net benefit to him. 

You're acting like Gus is going to put Joey out there in a real game and tell him not to run the ball. At this point, I think you're just arguing with a straw man. 

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I agree then Joey has to be able to perform in whatever way that gets the job done. If Joey was the starter and couldn’t get it done, then that’s another issue. Nix being more balanced doesn’t mean he can do well then either. We want gamers of all shapes and sizes. 

Well, Joel Embiid is a center? He rarely shoots 3s as it is..Most of his points come from inside the arc, so I don't get your example.

However, Giannis has been working with Korver and on the gram I saw where Korver limits him from driving in on drills and instead shoot from the perimeter. No need for Giannis to work on his drive game when we know he can do that. However, shooting wise...Different story.

6 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

You think making Gatewood (our quarterback, by the way) throw the football in practice is akin to Sean White running the zone read? 

It’s a comparison of taking away the strengths in favor of shoving square pegs through round holes. 

8 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Y'all are acting like the coaches are somehow unaware of Gatewood's ability to run the football,

It’s a consideration that I’m clinging to at the moment. 

8 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

but you all admit that he isn't a well polished passer.

Which means zilch as far as what he can do. Only difference between him and a Dak Prescott or a Nick Marshall is our depth chart this year is lot more serviceable. 

11 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Then, when the coaches take away his ability to run the ball - in practice, mind you - they are somehow doing him a disservice?

More like an audition.

Just now, DAG said:

Well, Joel Embiid is a center? He rarely shoots 3s as it is..Most of his points come from inside the arc, so I don't get your example.

I don't even know who that guy is haha. I just assumed he must be a shooter. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

I don't even know who that guy is haha. I just assumed he must be a shooter. 

This dude is a 7 footer lol. It would probably be an advantage for him to not shoot 3s lol

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

It’s a comparison of taking away the strengths in favor of shoving square pegs through round holes. 

Asking a quarterback to sit in the pocket and throw the football is shoving a square peg through a round hole!? What craziness is this that you are talking about?

You seem to keep forgetting that this is PRACTICE, and the motivation behind not going live is most likely to preserve Gatewood's and Nix's health. Where did you get this idea that Gus is somehow trying to turn Gatewood into a pure pocket passer? At this point, I have no idea who you are arguing with, because it's certainly not me. 

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

In practice!? Why not?

He’s a 7 foot center. Stick to rebounding and posting up right? 

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I'm not even suggesting that the goal of not going live is for the purpose of forcing Joey to throw - but I think that could end up being a net benefit to him. 

And I still think that’s laughable to be honest.  Being afforded the time to round out the abilities is a net benefit that Gatewood doesn’t have. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

You keep making the strangest equivalencies. 

A center shooting threes: A quarterback throwing the football

Got it! 😂😂😂

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

And by the way, Joey can still run during practice. Not going live means no live contact. He can still move his feet. We're all clear on that point, right?

Yep...until a defensive player enters his vicinity... 

That doesn’t help him at all. He was squatting 520 in HS. That power and escapeability are non-factors.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Yes, this is what the typical center does . Like the typical QB passes the ball, primarily. If your center biggest asset is he can shoot 3s, then realistically, do you have a center? That should be a luxury not a primary asset.  

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Yep...until a defensive player enters his vicinity... 

That doesn’t help him at all. He was squatting 520 in HS. That power and escapeability are non-factors.

I'll tell you what, when Gus starts telling Joey not to run the ball in an actual game, then come talk to me. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

A center shooting threes: A quarterback throwing the football

Y’all said QB’s job is to throw. Is it the center’s job to shoot 3’s? Do you understand sports?

20 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Y'all are acting like the coaches are somehow unaware of Gatewood's ability to run the football, but you all admit that he isn't a well polished passer. Then, when the coaches take away his ability to run the ball - in practice, mind you - they are somehow doing him a disservice? If the goal is to develop our quarterbacks, then we need to spend time developing them. It's crazy, I know. 

i have come along to this line of thinking as well.  Joey needs as much time as possible to polish his passing skills.  He's gone from a QB who didn't even play full time at the position in HS to possibly having to lead an SEC team as a freshman.  He's going to need as many repetitions as possible against an SEC defense to get as close to ready as possible. 

29 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Y’all said QB’s job is to throw. Is it the center’s job to shoot 3’s? Do you understand sports?

QB primary  job is to throw. The center's primary job is not to shoot 3s. Again, this is a luxury if he can, but that is not why you become a center.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

You're the one that is confused, I promise. 

4 hours ago, DAG said:

As expected I suppose. At least they are going against a great defense. 

I expect the defense to dominate every scrimmage where it's "best" vs "best".    ...with our returning defense I can't image a freshman directed offense being able to be very successful against our first line D......mostly the QBs will probably just hang on and try not to make too many big mistakes...JMO

31 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

@ellitor How far back are Brahms, Stutts, Hamm, or any of the other backup OL in a development standpoint from the current starters?

@Win4AU I don't have a clue. I don't get to go to practice or talk to the coaches.

Just now, Barnacle said:

I'll tell you what, when Gus starts telling Joey not to run the ball in an actual game, then come talk to me. 

This is the best part. You admitting Gus would want to run Joey, but only if he wins an audition that takes away the running.

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

You're the one that is confused, I promise. 

I promise you’re wrong. 

56 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Not really. Can’t affect both equally when only one can throw it like a 7 v 7 camp warrior.

Nix is above average at athletic ability. Gatewood is a freak. 

Equally my ass. 

My post didn't say anything about hurting equally. Bottom line is when any QB is not live they are limited some.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

I promise you’re wrong. 

Jeff you compared a center in basketball shooting three's to a quarterback throwing the football. That's all that needs to be said at this point. Anyway, like I said, I have no clue who you are arguing with at this point. I've entertained this too long already. 

Archived