***Bo Nix Named 2019 Starting QB***

augolf1716

50 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

This is my only concern when it came to having Bo as the starter. I understand wanting to utilize Joey but let Bo "finish" the deal. He's the starter. I'd feel the same if Joey was the starter. At this point we're speculating but i just have a feeling we're going to get a heavy dose of Joey in the RZ and it just concerns me regarding messing up the flow of drives. We shall see though. I know Bo is a better runner than JS and Sean but his main assest is clearly passing.  I just hope Gus is prepared to put Bo good situations to succeed. 

I just dont see any way Gus, even new Gus, goes without doing absolutely everything to keep Joey to stay long term. The guy loves Joey's potential and the idea of having a body that should be able to do what he likes to do in the RZ sitting on the bench? If it's like a slow crawl to the RZ their first time getting down there, I'd see him subbing Nix out. If they're rolling and its big chunk plays, he prob goes a different way

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I just dont see any way Gus, even new Gus, goes without doing absolutely everything to keep Joey to stay long term. The guy loves Joey's potential and the idea of having a body that should be able to do what he likes to do in the RZ sitting on the bench? If it's like a slow crawl to the RZ their first time getting down there, I'd see him subbing Nix out. If they're rolling and its big chunk plays, he prob goes a different way

I'm not sold on the "new Gus". I want proof of it the entire season. Lost my trust too many times when you think he's figured it out then to be let down in a major way. So i'm taking it game by game approach. I really like both QBs and didn't have too much of preference with either as i think both give us great chances to win. It is a little surprising it's not JG as it really seemed like his time but it could easily be a situation where JG is needed quickly as a starter b/c we don't know how Bo will do when the lights come on so to speak. Things may not be settled at QB until week 4 or 5; hopefully not though b/c we really need to have good momentum by that time.

I just really liked JG's physical stature to know he'd be able to take some hits as a QB with the read option; thus opening up the pass. I don't like to put the Cam 2.0 stamp on him but i just liked the play selection by Gus in 2010 with Cam and how it opened up the offense. Like that step up run fake for a pass play by Cam that would freeze the defense (don't know the technical name of the play lol). I guess i was moreso picturing those plays for JG. Not sure that Bo will get as many predetermined runs vs. if it was JG. At this same time i like the fact that Bo isn't going to be a statue in the pocket. He has the ability to escape and make some nice throws or runs (ie. Aaron Rodgers type plays). So that's why it was really hard for me to put one over the other b/c both bring a lot of good qualities to the table as a QB. 

3 hours ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Yeah I was gonna be over hyping myself either way. If JG beat out Nix, my thought would be that JG must really be special. Similar comments made about Cam from the players in spring were happening about JG coming out of Bowl Practice and Spring camp. So now that Bo is starting, you start to feel the story lines about him following in his dads footsteps, the trends of Gus changing (not that he had a choice as both were young QBs) and a chance that Bo could our next Auburn Legend.  WHY CANT I STOP HYPING MYSELF?!?!

Difference with Cam is we saw him running over COLLEGE players at Florida and Blinn.  So what AU players were saying in the summer and spring about Cam were knowns not unknowns.  The reporters asked the players about JGs play and they went to his running ability. I would've preferred them bragging on his accuracy while knowing he was a special athlete also.

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

Now I think that's bull really but the interview stuff will always be a sore spot for me

Why exactly? 

Very excited for Bo. Seems very comfortable rolling out of the pocket to escape pressure and his acceleration is insane.

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Why exactly? 

I can PM you, I don't feel like random fights. People didn't have the most flattering things to say about certain qb's giving interviews. 

8 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Wonder how many TF under any program has gotten the privilege to talk to the press? 

Fixed it for you.  Answer:  Not many at all.  I can't think of any to be honest.

Here are my thoughts:  First, congratulations to Bo!  He certainly earned it.

I would not want to see Joey come in to play in the red zone for the simple reason that it would be a substitution, which would allow the defense to do the same.  By the time we hit the red zone, the defense should be gassed and that is when you go for the throat.  If we are truly trying to speed up the tempo this is not a good option.  I think instead we give Joey entire drives to play.

I like this new Gus.  He really has taken control of the team in the way the wants to.  He got rid of some dead weight of coaches like Horton blatantly looking for jobs elsewhere and landed a great recruiter at the minimum in Caddy.  From what I have read Gus is listening to Williams as well when he tells Gus he wants a RB by committee approach.  Now he starts a true freshmen at QB, further going away from his norm.  This could be a great year for Auburn!

Good luck to Bo, was at Auburn when his dad was playing and he had some big games. One of the best /most entertaining games have watched at Jordan Hare was 1994 Florida game. Nix - Sanders awesome finish.

Was thinking JG would get the starting job, but then again wasn't there looking at every detail. Watching Bo's highlights, he does look quite mobile and throwing while moving.

We need to get back to running the ball well and that would be concern without a QB that can be a run threat every snap. Either way excited for the season 

Some thoughts from aujeff11. Take them or throw them away:

-Bo Nix will be a breath of fresh air compared to Stidham. Instead of hearing about how he never got the aTm offer that he wanted, we will hear about a lifelong Auburn fan playing QB for Auburn. 

- Bo Nix will not be smiling when we are getting our asses beat. 

- Saying Gatewood can’t pass is inaccurate. Throughout the spring it was assumed he could pass, but not as well as Nix. As far as I know, that hasn’t changed. Similarly, Gatewood cannot run as well as Cam, but that doesn’t mean he can’t run. It’s all relative. 

- Attention to detail may be where Nix shines, but his play on the field will determine how long he stays there. 

-As long as Nix is starter: #TeamNix

-Your opinions are not garbage. Being territorial with your opinion against those that are more knowledgeable to the subject that are only trying to evolve your opinion is a waste of time and leads to a waste of brain cells. 

- A recruiting prognosticator’s opinion does not hold more weight than the evaluations that the coaches do everyday and their information that passes down the line.

-I don’t think Nix will do enough to help keep Malzahn’s job this year. That’s a tall task that is being asked upon a TF.  Still, Nix’s growing pains are going to be worthwhile in the end. With a Sam Ehlinger type trajectory, there will be plenty of great years in store.

56 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Fixed it for you.  Answer:  Not many at all.  I can't think of any to be honest.

I’m sure that trend will dissipate as more true freshmen become starting QBs. Doesn’t really make sense to say a QB is mature enough to lead a team but not mature enough to answer questions. 

The one time I break a story and the thread gets shut down for fighting. Seems about right. 

Go Bo! I’m happy for the kid! My wife is happy that our QB competitions are over for 3/4 years. Her words exactly. She doesn’t enjoy the suspense like I do.

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

My wife is happy that our QB completions are over for 3/4 years.

If that's the case the QB competition is going to suck ass in that time span.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Whoops. Nice catch.

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

Now I think that's bull really but the interview stuff will always be a sore spot for me

@cole256 PM me too. You've peaked my curiosity.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I remember the good old days of having NM for one more year, Heisman Jeremy Johnson waiting for his turn, and Sean White (which can paint pictures with his balls) waiting for his turn but a little while longer. :drink1:

Let’s hope the next 4 years go as smooth as we think it will. 

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I remember the good old days of having NM for one more year, Heisman Jeremy Johnson waiting for his turn, and Sean White (which can paint pictures with his balls) waiting for his turn but a little while longer. :drink1:

Let’s hope the next 4 years go as smooth as we think it will. 

Sean can still paint pictures with his balls. He does it at all the parties he goes to. It’s his go to party trick.

20 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m sure that trend will dissipate as more true freshmen become starting QBs. Doesn’t really make sense to say a QB is mature enough to lead a team but not mature enough to answer questions. 

That can be two completely different ballparks.  One is being able to speak fluently and professionally enough in front of an audience to where you can be comprehended and do not embarrass yourself or the university.  The other is being a good leader to the team.  It can be two different vocabularies as well as you wouldn't talk to the media like you would a friend or teammate.  Some of that comes with maturity.  Their are outliers of course like Bo in this instance and the opposite spectrum in the NFL where some players are still not good at talking to the media without saying something dumb.

5 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Sean can still paint pictures with his balls. He does it at all the parties he goes to. It’s his go to party trick.

He’s obviously right hemisphere of the brain dominant. I never had that kind of creativity with my go-to party tricks.

😞

Archived