***Bo Nix Named 2019 Starting QB***

augolf1716

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Howard Roark said:

"All 3 have left saying Saban can be manipulative and deceptive."

Shocking.  Tell that to the countless 4 star players he processed over the years.  I am sure they would be equally shocked as well.  I still remember how flustered he was at the press conference when he was asked if he would start offering 4 year scholarships after Auburn announced they were going to.  

Chizik used the 4 yr guaranteed scholarship offer as a way to try boost AU's recruiting.  Mainly because Saban was processing the hell out of a ton of talent on his bench, many 4*s.   Saban didn't budge, he kept his course and has blown recruiting out of the water and he has never had to offer a guaranteed deal. 

While Gene Chizik sits in the broadcasters booth doing a fantastic job (Gene is the best in the business IMO), Saban is still competing for championship after championship ever freaking year for over a decade now.  

13 minutes ago, keesler said:

Chizik used the 4 yr guaranteed scholarship offer as a way to try boost AU's recruiting.  Mainly because Saban was processing the hell out of a ton of talent on his bench, many 4*s.   Saban didn't budge, he kept his course and has blown recruiting out of the water and he has never had to offer a guaranteed deal. 

While Gene Chizik sits in the broadcasters booth doing a fantastic job (Gene is the best in the business IMO), Saban is still competing for championship after championship ever freaking year for over a decade now.  

But it was funny when he was asked.  During his stammering and stuttering he said AL did offer 4 year scholarships, but it was just a lie.

Saban had many other "guarantees" to offer recruits that certainly boosted recruiting.   

15 minutes ago, keesler said:

Chizik didn't fail for a lack of trying to gain any advantage he could while recruiting.

41 minutes ago, Tiger said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

i plan on getting the aubie stoner face tat in the near future............long may you run my auburn bro........

4 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Some thoughts from aujeff11. Take them or throw them away:

-Bo Nix will be a breath of fresh air compared to Stidham. Instead of hearing about how he never got the aTm offer that he wanted, we will hear about a lifelong Auburn fan playing QB for Auburn. 

- Bo Nix will not be smiling when we are getting our asses beat. 

- Saying Gatewood can’t pass is inaccurate. Throughout the spring it was assumed he could pass, but not as well as Nix. As far as I know, that hasn’t changed. Similarly, Gatewood cannot run as well as Cam, but that doesn’t mean he can’t run. It’s all relative. 

- Attention to detail may be where Nix shines, but his play on the field will determine how long he stays there. 

-As long as Nix is starter: #TeamNix

-Your opinions are not garbage. Being territorial with your opinion against those that are more knowledgeable to the subject that are only trying to evolve your opinion is a waste of time and leads to a waste of brain cells. 

- A recruiting prognosticator’s opinion does not hold more weight than the evaluations that the coaches do everyday and their information that passes down the line.

-I don’t think Nix will do enough to help keep Malzahn’s job this year. That’s a tall task that is being asked upon a TF.  Still, Nix’s growing pains are going to be worthwhile in the end. With a Sam Ehlinger type trajectory, there will be plenty of great years in store.

- Agreed.

- Agreed. Dude is a fiery competitor. If anything he’ll get the Cam treatment about “pouting”.

- Gatewood isn’t far off from Bo. He’s a solid passer and a decent runner. While he may be a step slower than Bo he’s more of a tank for short yardage. I don’t think either is a Nick Marshall level running threat but both are serviceable.

- Knowing Gus it has something to do with ball security and consistency.

- Agreed, I don’t think supporting Bo and Joey is mutually exclusive.

- True, but anyone can be wrong or right regardless of position. We’ve had practice information be inaccurate before and evaluations proven wrong. I get the battle that happened over this topic and it’s just a matter of personal preference. Marcelo isn’t loved by all.

- Don’t want to be that guy but I still don’t believe Malzahn should be our future option moving forward. Imagine if we had Scott Frost right now with this team. Our offense would be insanely dynamic. Pretty sure he needs 8 or more wins to stay; I believe 8 is too low but can’t see him getting canned so long as the losses are competitive. Regardless of what happens it would be tremendous to keep this recruiting class together. We have a good core and a good group coming up (OL is going to be a tough spot).

14 hours ago, bigbird said:

If our receivers consistently catch, and we can throw to open the run, then the run game will explode. Shivers and KMart would Excell in that type of O

Very true.  But, for Gus's run game to really be effective the QB has to be a threat in the Read Option. 

1 minute ago, around4ever said:

Very true.  But, for Gus's run game to really be effective the QB has to be a threat in the Read Option. 

To me the most complete offense we've seen is the run in 2017. That's an offense that didn't require an all world athlete at QB and still was able to churn out yards and points. I am anticipating something similar but having an additional threat an QB makes it potentially even more dynamic.

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

To me the most complete offense we've seen is the run in 2017. That's an offense that didn't require an all world athlete at QB and still was able to churn out yards and points. I am anticipating something similar but having an additional threat an QB makes it potentially even more dynamic.

Yeah we saw several fresh wrinkles in that November run. It was also nice to see Stidham play like a leader during those games. Made some key plays with his feet in both. 

A nice touch would be to see way more use of the slant off a zone read look. 

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

1 minute ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Yeah we saw several fresh wrinkles in that November run. It was also nice to see Stidham play like a leader during those games. Made some key plays with his feet in both. 

A nice touch would be to see way more use of the slant off a zone read look. 

Image result for keep talking gif

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

True, but anyone can be wrong or right regardless of position. We’ve had practice information be inaccurate before and evaluations proven wrong. I get the battle that happened over this topic and it’s just a matter of personal preference. Marcelo isn’t loved by all.

Yeah I know that. But in general, if I’d want to know practice information, I’d ask Marcello. If I wanted to know recruiting information, I’d ask Neihbuhr.  If I wanted to see the sales manager, I don’t want to see the delivery manager, I want to see the manager that deals with sales everyday no matter how many times they may cross paths in a day, or bump elbows together. 

There is a reason why Marcello and PM were asking questions yesterday AT the presser, and Neihbuhr was in his own world probably playing music on his computer while writing about a Florida DB; or pulling up Bo Nix’s commitment profile. Two different jobs. 

I’ve already seen both say in AMA threads “you will need to ask ___he covers_____, “ so I already know I’m not taking crazy pills again.

To another point, Marcello blocked me on Twitter a long time ago over a joke regarding bacon. lol

I am not defending him at all, and I know he isn’t the most popular dude or Mr. congeniality; but he does do his job well. Winning the nation’s best beat writer award wasn’t an accident. He does interviews with the major coaches, and doesn’t step on their toes thus allowing for more interviews in the future. He also does interviews with the AD, and he is also usually the one beat writer breaking non-recruiting stories such as the Georgia game being moved up. 

30 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Don’t want to be that guy but I still don’t believe Malzahn should be our future option moving forward.

I don’t think Gus’s offense is going to do Nix any favors at all. So I’ll just say that. About to beat a dead horse in that regard. 

I agree with everything else that you said. 👍

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

One of my favorite songs ever. Thanks

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

He didn’t like the way the coaches handled his competition with Tua. Which, not coincidentally, Bateman and Barnett didn’t like the way Saban held their QB competition with Jalen Hurts when he won. All 3 have left saying Saban can be manipulative and deceptive.

sW22vPs.gif

15 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I’ve already seen both say in AMA threads “you will need to ask ___he covers_____, “ so I already know I’m not taking crazy pills again.

Marcello is actually doing an AMA in in the /wde subreddit right now.  

8 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Marcello is actually doing an AMA in in the /wde subreddit right now.  

Nobody bring up bacon. lol

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Nobody bring up bacon. lol

Given he got his degree from Arkansas I could make so many jokes about that. LOL

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Given he got his degree from Arkansas I could make so many jokes about that. LOL

Now everything makes sense. He just looks like he eats a ton of it. Has a greasy complexion.

57 minutes ago, bigbird said:

With the speed that we have at WR, and talent, I would love to see something similar to the RPO style that Bama ran with Tua last year. They shredded defenses off of RPO slants to Jeudy. It was almost unfair. I agree 2017 was the most complete. I felt like we could pound the rock when needed but felt confident in throwing for 250 to 300 if need be. 

I think Bo can  be very effective in Gus's offense.  I watched Vince Young run Texas's zone read back in the day, and he was just an unreal athlete and made it work.  When Colt McCoy took over, we thought the zone read days were over. Of course, Colt was not the same caliber of runner, but it was still an extraordinarily effective piece of the offense.  It became part of the offense instead of THE offense, but since teams had to respect the pass as well, Texas piled up the yards,points, and wins. That's what I'm hoping to see from Bo. Smart like Colt, just as good a runner, and maybe a little better arm.

Just think.. if Bo can be as accurate as Jarrett, plus his speed and making the defense respect his running capabilities..and the receivers and playmakers we have in the backfield..this offense can be special. Just need the o-line to step up. Could be a really amazing season. 

6 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Some thoughts from aujeff11. Take them or throw them away:

-Bo Nix will be a breath of fresh air compared to Stidham. Instead of hearing about how he never got the aTm offer that he wanted, we will hear about a lifelong Auburn fan playing QB for Auburn. 

- Bo Nix will not be smiling when we are getting our asses beat. 

- Saying Gatewood can’t pass is inaccurate. Throughout the spring it was assumed he could pass, but not as well as Nix. As far as I know, that hasn’t changed. Similarly, Gatewood cannot run as well as Cam, but that doesn’t mean he can’t run. It’s all relative. 

- Attention to detail may be where Nix shines, but his play on the field will determine how long he stays there. 

-As long as Nix is starter: #TeamNix

-Your opinions are not garbage. Being territorial with your opinion against those that are more knowledgeable to the subject that are only trying to evolve your opinion is a waste of time and leads to a waste of brain cells. 

- A recruiting prognosticator’s opinion does not hold more weight than the evaluations that the coaches do everyday and their information that passes down the line.

-I don’t think Nix will do enough to help keep Malzahn’s job this year. That’s a tall task that is being asked upon a TF.  Still, Nix’s growing pains are going to be worthwhile in the end. With a Sam Ehlinger type trajectory, there will be plenty of great years in store.

If Gus gets fired there isnt much of a trajectory. The miracle '21 class and the already great '20 class are probably both f'd if he - and this dream staff - are let go

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If Gus gets fired there isnt much of a trajectory. The miracle '21 class and the already great '20 class are probably both f'd if he - and this dream staff - are let go

Don't know about screwed but definitely altered some.

Archived