superbooster may pursue Bob Stoops

aubiefifty

20 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

He wouldn't average 8-5 or worse.  I would take him in a second and not look back.  

I wouldn’t say it like that, I would instead say, if Stoops was an average 8-5, it would say more about the support structure around the football team than it does the HC. I would take Stoops solely for the fact that it would put all aspects of the football program on alert and would point out any faults in the foundation. 

This is why I don’t think Stoops would come unless we are throwing funny money at him. Either way, should we make a change, Meyer and Stoops are my first two I reach out to even if I think they aren’t coming.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BigWhiskey91 said:

I wouldn’t say it like that, I would instead say, if Stoops was an average 8-5, it would say more about the support structure around the football team than it does the HC. I would take Stoops solely for the fact that it would put all aspects of the football program on alert and would point out any faults in the foundation. 

This is why I don’t think Stoops would come unless we are throwing funny money at him. Either way, should we make a change, Meyer and Stoops are my first two I reach out to even if I think they aren’t coming.

As good of coach as Meyer is I'm leary about his past and the baggage at OSU and UF.

42 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Whenever Auburn has momentum these start to come out of the woodwork

If we win Saturday, then we will have momentum.  Until then, we are in a long list of teams that are unbeaten.  We are ranked in the Top 10, but that means little; the next game means everything.

Consider source please. This article is by Brooks Melchior who ran a dirtbag rumor/gossip blog from 2001-2013 until signing off for what Pearlman and other writers called "mental health issues". He recently gave a "back from the dead" interview in which it was apparent those issues are not behind him. He claimed to take 5 years off to "learn something about football" (after blathering about it for over a decade). No doubt his "research" and how to become relevant again included noting the fame Thalmel et al  achieved pushing factless rumors (and how gleefully Al.com & Saturday Down South will run anything anti-Auburn). All I'm saying is don't run with this yet...

8 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Consider source please. This article is by Brooks Melchior who ran a dirtbag rumor/gossip blog from 2001-2013 until signing off for what Pearlman and other writers called "mental health issues". He recently gave a "back from the dead" interview in which it was apparent those issues are not behind him. He claimed to take 5 years off to "learn something about football" (after blathering about it for over a decade). No doubt his "research" and how to become relevant again included noting the fame Thalmel et al  achieved pushing factless rumors (and how gleefully Al.com & Saturday Down South will run anything anti-Auburn). All I'm saying is don't run with this yet...

It seriously blows my mind that someone like that can get and maintain a job doing something so many would love. Cracking into that profession can be hard but damn they seem to keep those people around once they're there. I guess it's about the clicks you can generate and people will eat an article like this up.

Just now, nixtosanders94 said:

Neither Stoops or Meyer will ever coach at Auburn. I feel super confident in that statement.

Meyer just follows great coaches, burns their program down while riding the previous guys success, and leaves them with a terrible culture a scandal or two and pretending to have some condition.

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Meyer just follows great coaches, burns their program down while riding the previous guys success, and leaves them with a terrible culture a scandal or two and pretending to have some condition.

The New Lou Holtz

15 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Ron Zook was a great coach? Well damn! I have been looking at him wrong all these years! lol. 

This is probably a BS article but let's address it. The so called super boosters should spend their time on stadium improvements and the football facility instead of trying to be amateur coach recruiters. The fact that they do meddle is one of the reasons some of the big names will never come here. Just make the football facilities top notch and knock it off with the other stuff.

19 minutes ago, Zeek said:

BRODIE! I love you man and you are fam but this is one of the worst takes ever! He has 13 ten win seasons in 17 total seasons of being a head coach. He is the second greatest coach all time behind Saban.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Ron Zook was a great coach? Well damn! I have been looking at him wrong all these years! lol. 

Zook was hardly there for long lol. Anyone coaching Tebow should have a fair amount of success.

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Zook was hardly there for long lol. Anyone coaching Tebow should have a fair amount of success.

But I mean that is who he took over for. He took over for Luke Fickell at Ohio State when he was the interim coach and they were coming off a 6-7 season and then turned around and went 12-0. I mean the man won a national title with Cardale freaking Jones as his QB!!! He has had plenty of success without tebow!!! haha. Also tebow had one of the best supporting casts around him....... that Urban recruited! haha. 

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Believe what you want but Bob Stoops isn't the answer here and he's not likely to come out to Auburn. If the guy wanted to be coaching somewhere he would already be doing so.

I think this is still accurate: https://www.xfl.com/teams/dallas

BOB STOOPS NAMED HEAD COACH OF DALLAS XFL TEAM

Bob Stoops, the winningest head coach in University of Oklahoma history, has been named head coach and general manager of the XFL team in Dallas.

Stoops compiled a 190-48 career record over 18 seasons, was honored as the best coach by the Associated Press in 2000 and won a National Championship with the Sooners in 2000. The son of a high school football coach with three brothers also in the coaching ranks, Stoops is a six-time Big 12 Coach of the Year and two-time Walter Camp Coach of the Year. Stoops’ Oklahoma teams won 10 Big 12 Championships during his tenure.

Quarterback Baker Mayfield, the No. 1 overall NFL Draft pick in 2018, thrived under Stoops, throwing for 7,665 yards and combining for 89 touchdowns through the air and on the ground across his sophomore and junior seasons. Mayfield was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy award in 2016 and went on to win college football’s top honor in 2017.

Stoops, who retired as Oklahoma’s head coach in 2017, is tasked with building out the Dallas XFL coaching staff ahead of our first-ever minicamps and the 2019 XFL Draft in the summer and fall of 2019. The XFL will kick off on Feb. 8, 2020.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

BRODIE! I love you man and you are fam but this is one of the worst takes ever! He has 13 ten win seasons in 17 total seasons of being a head coach. He is the second greatest coach all time behind Saban.

I'm not buying it man! He's just scum in my mind. He's had a lot of talent at the quarterback position that he then doesn't develop. 

He did a good job at Utah instantly; when he left they struggled for the next 5 years. Went to Florida and rode a good roster that was already in place. Let Tebow carry him for a few years. Goes 8-5 and bails, claiming something about family time while chilling on ESPN all the time, leaving Florida in a long struggle afterwards. Goes to Ohio State following what Jim Tressel had built up and rides that wave for a while before bailing with scandals surrounding him again.

He might be a good coach but he hasn't had many difficult situations to inherit and he leaves programs in bad spots with terrible cultures. Hate the dude. 

4 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I think this is still accurate: https://www.xfl.com/teams/dallas

BOB STOOPS NAMED HEAD COACH OF DALLAS XFL TEAM

Bob Stoops, the winningest head coach in University of Oklahoma history, has been named head coach and general manager of the XFL team in Dallas.

Stoops compiled a 190-48 career record over 18 seasons, was honored as the best coach by the Associated Press in 2000 and won a National Championship with the Sooners in 2000. The son of a high school football coach with three brothers also in the coaching ranks, Stoops is a six-time Big 12 Coach of the Year and two-time Walter Camp Coach of the Year. Stoops’ Oklahoma teams won 10 Big 12 Championships during his tenure.

Quarterback Baker Mayfield, the No. 1 overall NFL Draft pick in 2018, thrived under Stoops, throwing for 7,665 yards and combining for 89 touchdowns through the air and on the ground across his sophomore and junior seasons. Mayfield was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy award in 2016 and went on to win college football’s top honor in 2017.

Stoops, who retired as Oklahoma’s head coach in 2017, is tasked with building out the Dallas XFL coaching staff ahead of our first-ever minicamps and the 2019 XFL Draft in the summer and fall of 2019. The XFL will kick off on Feb. 8, 2020.

Exactly, he's already doing so lol. You know my point though, if he wanted to be at a major college program he would be there already.

15 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

The so called super boosters should spend their time on stadium improvements and the football facility instead of being amateur coaching recruiters. The fact that they meddle is one of the reasons some of the big names will never come here. Just make the football facilities top notch and knock it off with the other stuff.

AND STARTING A D1 WRESTLING TEAM!

Just me? Okay. I'll stop taking "Ls" in this thread lol.

Let’s use that 60 million we’d likely offer him and brick in JHS and complete the football facility. Make Auburn a place big name coaches wanna come to instead of trying to get a big name coach then upgrade later. A great General is only so good with second rate ammo and weapons. 

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

He (Meyer) did a good job at Utah instantly; when he left they struggled for the next 5 years.

Utah Utes football struggled from 2005-2009?

Kyle Whittingham had a winning record every season and went to bowl games from 2005 through 2009. (I'm only taking into consideration the Five Year span that you mentioned)

In 2008 they went undefeated and defeated uat in the Sugar Bowl. 

19 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I'm not buying it man! He's just scum in my mind. He's had a lot of talent at the quarterback position that he then doesn't develop. 

He did a good job at Utah instantly; when he left they struggled for the next 5 years. Went to Florida and rode a good roster that was already in place. Let Tebow carry him for a few years. Goes 8-5 and bails, claiming something about family time while chilling on ESPN all the time, leaving Florida in a long struggle afterwards. Goes to Ohio State following what Jim Tressel had built up and rides that wave for a while before bailing with scandals surrounding him again.

He might be a good coach but he hasn't had many difficult situations to inherit and he leaves programs in bad spots with terrible cultures. Hate the dude. 

Lol. He is my favorite football coach all time. I love watching his teams play. They are always fun. He has a swagger and confidence about him that I YEARN for any of our football coaches to have. OF COURSE when HE leaves programs are not going to be that great. He is a great football coach and whoever is the next coach is a huge downgrade. I mean what did you expect to happen?! For teams to continue being natty contenders? lmao.  He is 187-32 all time and is 11-3 in bowl games. It takes way more than just always having great QB play as you say to be ELITE like that. LOL that Jim Tressel had built up?! You mean he took over a program that Jim Tressel had made it where they got hit with heavy probation and reduction of scholarships for the terrelle pryor scandal.

39 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

The so called super boosters should spend their time on stadium improvements and the football facility instead of being amateur coaching recruiters. The fact that they meddle is one of the reasons some of the big names will never come here. Just make the football facilities top notch and knock it off with the other stuff.

1. Look at everything bama has done to upgrade their facilities *after* they hired saban.

2. If they land Stoops, they have most definitely graduated from being amateur coaching recruiters to pros.

3. If they meddle and Stoops comes here, then them meddling is the reason that the biggest name DID come here.

4. Back to 1. If they do the heavy lifting to get Stoops, then everyone else's pocketbook immediately opens very, very wide and any project you want starts happening immediately. JJ was possibly the biggest thing holding back facilities, but there is the problem that a lot of big dollars don't want to chase a mediocre coach. Hire Stoops and there is no wait and see. 

I'm not saying there are legs to this story anymore. (LOL at anyone assuming that there weren't 9 months ago.) But if there is a number that gets Stoops and the big boys want to get together and hit it, then we as fans should send them all a thank you card and maybe a $5 spot to help ease the burden. 

Oh, another thing. If we get Stoops, that means the meddling is over. He would not come here without assurances that he'd be running his own program as he sees fit. Believe it or not, Gus has already achieved this, although that might be more of them giving him a nice length of rope. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

1. Look at everything bama has done to upgrade their facilities *after* they hired saban.

2. If they land Stoops, they have most definitely graduated from being amateur coaching recruiters to pros.

3. If they meddle and Stoops comes here, then them meddling is the reason that biggest name DID come here.

4. Back to 1. If they do the heavy lifting to get Stoops, then everyone else's pocketbook immediately opens very, very wide and any project you want starts happening immediately. JJ was possibly the biggest thing holding back facilities, but there is the problem that a lot of big dollars don't want to chase a mediocre coach. Hire Stoops and there is no wait and see. 

I'm not saying there are legs to this story anymore. (LOL at anyone assuming that there weren't 9 months ago.) But if there is a number that gets Stoops and the big boys want to get together and hit it, then we as fans should send them all a thank you card and maybe a $5 spot to help ease the burden. 

Oh, another thing. If we get Stoops, that means the meddling is over. He would not come here without assurances that he'd be running his own program as he sees fit. Believe it or not, Gus has already achieved this, although that might be more of them giving him a nice length of rope. 

It would be so Auburn to go after Bob Stoops when there is a clearly better coach available who is younger than Stoops!!! AND YES SOMEHOW SOMEWAY if we by some miracle hired Stoops I STILL would find a way to complain!!!!! lol. IT IS WHAT I DO!!!!!!! haha.

Archived