The Blame

AUght2win

7 hours ago, DAG said:

We will get right and win the Arkansas game handily. However, we really need to beat LSU as I don't see us being capable of handling UGA or Bama. IMO, If Gus were to lose all three of those games, he will probably be packing his bags. Cannot imagine the innumerable pressure he is feeling right now.

The amount of $ that AU has paid this HC is reason enough to not worry about him if he gets fired. He and family are not going to have to go to a soup kitchen to keep from starving. Pay him off, and let him go somewhere and coach that more fits his ability, like Akron or Samford. He can run all of the herky-derky gadgets he wants then...

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I mean, did you watch the game on Saturday? 

Yep. I was pissed. Still got a lot to play for though. Georgia looks like the most complete team, LSU and bama both have flaws. Losing whitlow SUUUUUCCKKKKSS

20 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Could there be a better situation to walk into as a new coach? Zero expectations because NFL drafted our D-line, and no returning starters on our O-line? Then instead of going 12-2 and a drop off to mediocrity, he could start mediocre and begin a steady ascent.

With our fan base the expectation is to start at 12-2 and only get better. There is no time to start at Mediocre and then get better. With the big name that everyone say's is in waiting I can assure you the expectations will be high from the start. I would take an 8-4 7-5 if I knew things were going to get better every year but I don't think most would be willing to wait on that progression.  

9 minutes ago, bg5 said:

With our fan base the expectation is to start at 12-2 and only get better. There is no time to start at Mediocre and then get better. With the big name that everyone say's is in waiting I can assure you the expectations will be high from the start. I would take an 8-4 7-5 if I knew things were going to get better every year but I don't think most would be willing to wait on that progression.  

Disagree.

We were fired up after the 2009 season, even though we lost a lot down the stretch. We saw improvement. We saw new things. Mainly, we saw a team that was competitive in almost every game and especially in an Iron Bowl loss.

I think we'd be fired up again if we saw those things in the new coach. I think most of us are realistic about what somebody would be walking into next year. We'd be far less patient with another mediocre season from Gus IMO. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Disagree.

We were fired up after the 2009 season, even though we lost a lot down the stretch. We saw improvement. We saw new things. Mainly, we saw a team that was competitive in almost every game and especially in an Iron Bowl loss.

I think we'd be fired up again if we saw those things in the new coach. I think most of us are realistic about what somebody would be walking into next year. We'd be far less patient with another mediocre season from Gus IMO. 

To me this is on point. My main problem with what we’ve got currently is not that we lose (although with our talent level I think we are doing that far too often) but HOW we lose- not competitive, looking unprepared, doing the same thing that isn’t working over and over, etc. And, we’ve been seeing that for going on five years now; any hope that there might be some adaptation/adjustment has been completely quashed. I appreciate some people’s optimism but I just don’t understand it. And, yes, I still cheer hard for Auburn and want Gus to be successful but reality is just too hard to ignore.

100% of the blame goes to Malzahn AGAIN. 3 plays and punt. The defense played so much, they were  just warn out by the 4th.

30 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Disagree.

I agree that the patients has run out for Gus but I don't agree that this crowd has patients for anyone who doesn't get it turned around in 2 years or less. That's just my feeling. I hope we can get a Saban type (Only wins wise) that can put us on a road for many years of success but I'm not sure that guy is out there. I hate to be the guy that blames the schedule but if this team had anyone else's schedule we would go 10-2 instead of 8-4. I'm not saying it's ok or that I think Gus is the best we can get but we play 3 and sometimes 4 teams that are in the top 10 every year so 10 win seasons are going to be hard to come by.

We would be patient with a rebuilding year next season because we would know the personnel issues are not the new HC's fault.

But if Gus remains we will be frustrated with mediocrity next year because he's the one who's made this mess.

On 10/6/2019 at 6:37 PM, Carnell said:

Gus did not give Bo a chance to be successful.  His play calls were longer pass patterns that take time to develop while  Florida was blitzing.  When Florida ran zone gus would call plays that ran right in the teeth of the zone instead of plays that ran into the open areas of the zone.  I dont care who the quarterback is no one would have been successful with Gus calling those type of plays.

What I read later is that when Gus made a substitution, UF’s defense would take a really long time to sub, so that took up time that Gus has to adjust to the defense.  

2 hours ago, bg5 said:

I agree that the patients has run out for Gus but I don't agree that this crowd has patients for anyone who doesn't get it turned around in 2 years or less. That's just my feeling. I hope we can get a Saban type (Only wins wise) that can put us on a road for many years of success but I'm not sure that guy is out there. I hate to be the guy that blames the schedule but if this team had anyone else's schedule we would go 10-2 instead of 8-4. I'm not saying it's ok or that I think Gus is the best we can get but we play 3 and sometimes 4 teams that are in the top 10 every year so 10 win seasons are going to be hard to come by.

I think it depends on the coach. If you plan on paying Bob Stoops the most money to coach here, how patient should we be with him? 

3 hours ago, fredst said:

To me this is on point. My main problem with what we’ve got currently is not that we lose (although with our talent level I think we are doing that far too often) but HOW we lose- not competitive, looking unprepared, doing the same thing that isn’t working over and over, etc. And, we’ve been seeing that for going on five years now; any hope that there might be some adaptation/adjustment has been completely quashed. I appreciate some people’s optimism but I just don’t understand it. And, yes, I still cheer hard for Auburn and want Gus to be successful but reality is just too hard to ignore.

THIS ^^^^

I am tired of this.  When did Gus last out-coach someone?   Not players winning b/c of talent, but Gus out-coaching opponent? 

Now how many times did we lose to an inferior team (ie: Gus was out coached?), say in the last 3-4 yrs  ?   

18 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think it depends on the coach. If you plan on paying Bob Stoops the most money to coach here, how patient should we be with him? 

IMO the first year would be the honeymoon. Then in year 2 we need to see some results. Doesn't mean the wins need to pile all the way up but we would need to see some tangible and sustainable improvements that lead us to believe the program will continue to trend in the right direction. 

On 10/8/2019 at 3:30 PM, bg5 said:

I wonder if they did fire Gus if anyone could be successful next year with an all new O'line. I agree it's not good but I do think it's better than last year. I just worry that we will have a good Def., good skill playersand an even worse line next year. Hopefully we can get some transfers but we may have to play some freshman.

We won’t have to play freshman barring some injuries. The Juco transfers will compete with Bro-Hamm for starting tackle spots and the guards and center will be filled by guys on roster right now

On 10/8/2019 at 3:31 PM, oracle79 said:

Witness at what? Child abuse?

My phone auto corrected weakness to witness.

19 minutes ago, Tiger said:

IMO the first year would be the honeymoon. Then in year 2 we need to see some results. Doesn't mean the wins need to pile all the way up but we would need to see some tangible and sustainable improvements that lead us to believe the program will continue to trend in the right direction. 

Yep, like marked improvement along the OL in recruiting and on field performance. Adaptation during games, not just a scripted gameplan of forcing square pegs in round holes. 

40 minutes ago, ellitor said:

My phone auto corrected weakness to witness.

LOL...I know, but didn't realize it until I had already posted. Witness is much funnier anyway.:laugh:

47 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We won’t have to play freshman barring some injuries. The Juco transfers will compete with Bro-Hamm for starting tackle spots and the guards and center will be filled by guys on roster right now

Speaking of Bro Hamm.. any particular reason he is not starting now? 

1 hour ago, 3rdgeneration said:

What I read later is that when Gus made a substitution, UF’s defense would take a really long time to sub, so that took up time that Gus has to adjust to the defense.  

This is good scheming/coaching. All the more reason to be more versatile with play calling without changing personnel. Yet another reason (In addition to the predictability) not to pigeonhole players into certain roles/play calls 

23 minutes ago, fredst said:

This is good scheming/coaching. All the more reason to be more versatile with play calling without changing personnel. Yet another reason (In addition to the predictability) not to pigeonhole players into certain roles/play calls 

Agreed. I don't know why we are not going at pace with no to few substitutions like we used to. 

2 hours ago, Beaker said:

I am tired of this.  When did Gus last out-coach someone?   Not players winning b/c of talent, but Gus out-coaching opponent? 

Texas A&M game three weeks ago

2 hours ago, AuMarine said:

Speaking of Bro Hamm.. any particular reason he is not starting now? 

Tega & Driscoll are better right now.

48 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Texas A&M game three weeks ago

And Oregon in week one. Made some really good second-half adjustments.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Tega & Driscoll are better right now.

I agree with that, but with all of the O-line issues the past 2 seasons, it is troubling that not one player has been replaced by a backup. It makes one of two statements. Either our backups are worse, which means we are in real trouble next year. Or Grimes is a worse coach than I thought. 

On 10/8/2019 at 2:45 PM, ellitor said:

Agree to disagree. Everything else I’ve seen from people knew a lot more about football than me has said the line is better across-the-board other than Kim still being a witness at  center.

The scheme is better at masking the deficiencies. But the OL is not any better from a talent standpoint. It's about the same or lower according to how Tega's knee is. This OL can not line up against a good/decent DL man to man. This is also from football people and football coaches I know. It is what it is. Also what was and is expected. Not sure why everyone though any different.

UF did a great job of getting Gus out of his blocking scheme's last Saturday. Now it's going to be interesting to see his Gus can do to counter in the upcoming weeks.

Archived