The Blame

AUght2win

9 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The scheme is better at masking the deficiencies. But the OL is not any better from a talent standpoint. It's about the same or lower according to how Tega's knee is. This OL can not line up against a good/decent DL man to man. This is also from football people and football coaches I know. It is what it is. Also what was and is expected. Not sure why everyone though any different.

UF did a great job of getting Gus out of his blocking scheme's last Saturday. Now it's going to be interesting to see his Gus can do to counter in the upcoming weeks.

Maybe I’ve just missed your posts, but hope all is well man.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta give credit to Mullen for taking his time making his substitutions. We went from DCs changing their D late baiting Gus into dumb calls to now this. It's been a long time since Gus was a step ahead of everyone else. Seems like he's a step behind now.

Just now, Tiger said:

Gotta give credit to Mullen for taking his time making his substitutions. We went from DCs changing their D late baiting Gus into dumb calls to now this. It's been a long time since Gus was a step ahead of everyone else. Seems like he's a step behind now.

A long time.....  Like a week....  I would say he was definitely a step, if not 2, ahead of MSU.

16 hours ago, ellitor said:

We won’t have to play freshman barring some injuries. The Juco transfers will compete with Bro-Hamm for starting tackle spots and the guards and center will be filled by guys on roster right now

But are the guys already on the roster any good if they can't beat out the ones we have now that everyone says are so bad?

2 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

A long time.....  Like a week....  I would say he was definitely a step, if not 2, ahead of MSU.

IMO we should always beat MSU like a drum and talent disparity should always make Gus look like a genius. If you're going to give him props the TAMU game is what we should point at. 

That being said, yet again, Gus looked like he had no idea what to do vs a team that recruits on par with us. That's what I was getting at by saying he's a step behind. He's not a feared playcaller anymore.

14 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I agree with that, but with all of the O-line issues the past 2 seasons, it is troubling that not one player has been replaced by a backup. It makes one of two statements. Either our backups are worse, which means we are in real trouble next year. Or Grimes is a worse coach than I thought. 

Well the tackles & guards are pretty good. The center is the liabality position right now.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Well the tackles & guards are pretty good. The center is the liabality position right now.

Are you speaking for this year, next year or both?

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

UF did a great job of getting Gus out of his blocking scheme's last Saturday. Now it's going to be interesting to see his Gus can do to counter in the upcoming weeks.

Counters were shown in that game as we did better the 2nd half running the ball while the game was still competitive.

1 hour ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Maybe I’ve just missed your posts, but hope all is well man.

He's been posting a good bit. Follow him & you won't miss a thing. WDE is one of the rare I follow.

45 minutes ago, ellitor said:

So..... I guess I should copy this and paste it on the Mancrush thread.  ....and just bow out gracefully.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Gotta give credit to Mullen for taking his time making his substitutions.

True which means another rule adjustment needs to be made. Once the offense subs the D should only have 5 seconds to make their subs.

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The scheme is better at masking the deficiencies. But the OL is not any better from a talent standpoint. It's about the same or lower according to how Tega's knee is. This OL can not line up against a good/decent DL man to man. This is also from football people and football coaches I know. It is what it is. Also what was and is expected. Not sure why everyone though any different.

So is this on not recruiting decent OL talent, or not coaching up the talent we have?

1 hour ago, bg5 said:

But are the guys already on the roster any good if they can't beat out the ones we have now that everyone says are so bad?

There are some that do but not everyone says the current starters are bad. Kim is bad. The others are decent. The center being bad is going to effect the whole OL negatively. As for the back ups, most are young & need to develop. Some definitely have more raw talent than guys in front of them though which could be good for the future.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

That being said, yet again, Gus looked like he had no idea what to do vs a team that recruits on par with us.

FTR Florida doesn't recruit on par with us. They are recruiting a bit worse than us & that could be Mullen's downfall at some point because there is no excuse for Florida not bringing in top 5 classes every year given the HS talent in that state.

16 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Are you speaking for this year, next year or both?

The particular post I replied to there was talking this year. A lot of questions to be answered for next year's OL.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

FTR Florida doesn't recruit on par with us. They are recruiting a bit worse than us & that could be Mullen's downfall at some point because there is no excuse for Florida not bringing in top 5 classes every year given the HS talent in that state.

This is very well thought out and researched and it places Florida 3 spots ahead of us in the last class and 1 spot ahead of us on average the last 4 years.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2019/2/7/18215228/college-football-recruiting-rankings-2019-class

They may or may not be better. They might be slightly worse. They are definitely in the same class as us. 

5 minutes ago, Timbeaux38 said:

So is this on not recruiting decent OL talent, or not coaching up the talent we have?

It's on Gus not willing to cast a wider net & take some plan Bs when he missed on plan As on the recruiting trail in previous classes. Also Gus not letting his OL coaches not have an opinion on OL recruiting & recruits to go after is a problem through last year. There's not much talent on the 1st line per Grimes own words. He's done good just to coach up what he has.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This is very well thought out and researched and it places Florida 3 spots ahead of us in the last class and 1 spot ahead of us on average the last 4 years.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2019/2/7/18215228/college-football-recruiting-rankings-2019-class

Yet it's the wrong thing to look at. 247s college team talent rankings is the only viable rankings for analyzing current talent as far as how teams recruited & kept talent. We are 2 spots ahead of Florida which is slightly above them as posted in my OP..

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Just now, ellitor said:

Yet it's the wrong thing to look at. 247s college team talent rankings is the only viable rankings for analyzing current talent as far as how teams recruited & kept talent. We are 2 spots ahead of Florida which is slightly above them as posted in my OP..

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

This is one of those times when the quibbling isn't necessary. @Tiger's post was correct. 

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's on Gus not willing to cast a wider net & take some plan Bs when he missed on plan As on the recruiting trail in previous classes. Also Gus not letting his OL coaches not have an opinion on OL recruiting & recruits to go after is a problem through last year. There's not much talent on the 1st line per Grimes own words. He's done good just to coach up what he has.

Not sure why Gus was not letting his OL coaches have a recruiting opinion? Is it b/c He is b/c he didn't agree with what Hand was wanting to bring in on the line? Grimes is a good developer but not a good evaluator of OL talent? Gus just being controlling Gus as to what he wants w/ his offensive personnel, even the OL?

As it is imperative that the lines be top notch in this conference, one would think Gus would use others to bring in the best.

@McLoofus @ellitor

A spot or 3 above or below us would put them in the same ballpark as us talent wise. 

My overall point was that when Gus goes up against teams with the same caliber of athletes, overwhelmingly more times than not he looks outclassed. I think it's fair to say Florida belongs in this group

19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

This year hasn't Gus let Grimes go out and get his guys?  I thought that was one of the things Gus let go of.

Archived