fans leaving the game early

Timeslider 6

What's up with the fans leaving the game early? is it a matter of loyalty or just fans expressing their dislike for the product on the field? This article from 24/7 addresses the issue. https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-players-call-out-fans-after-20-14-win-against-Ole-Miss-137934499/

And how does this come across to the players?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

Our players have been tweeting about it - they aren’t happy. Cannot blame them. 

Sadly it’s the day we live in now. People pout and complain until they get what they want.

9 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

They didn’t dress for the weather when the sun set for one thing.   Just watching the game that was obvious.

Yeah in the 40s with the wind is quite chilly considering it was 90 only a couple of days ago. The booing, while I know was directed as Malzahns complacency to run out the clock before half, was a bad look. The kids were playing hard and putting up decent stats, but the playcalling was leaving them empty on the scoreboard. As much as I disagree with Gus's playcalling and other decisions,  I never want the players to feel discouraged or at fault. 

There are several reasons to leave a night game besides not liking what you see in the field. Some of the reasons have been posted in this or the post game thread. Students are local of course but when you buy tickets ahead of time you don't have a clue when the kickoff will be. Some could have a long drive and pardon me for saying this but a 6 point win over this Ole Miss team is disappointing no matter how you look at it. People have church, jobs or babysitters to get home to and many of them may have left early no matter what was going on on the field. 

3 minutes ago, gr82be said:

There are several reasons to leave a night game besides not liking what you see in the field. Some of the reasons have been posted in this or the post game thread. Students are local of course but when you buy tickets ahead of time you don't have a clue when the kickoff will be. Some could have a long drive and pardon me for saying this but a 6 point win over this Ole Miss team is disappointing no matter how you look at it. People have church, jobs or babysitters to get home to and many of them may have left early no matter what was going on on the field. 

Yup. I drive 3 hrs one way to games about 3 times a season. If I leave early,  which I have on many occasions,  it's because I know it'll take us about 30-45 minutes to get back to our car and roughly another 30-45 minutes in traffic if we beat the rush. 

Fans spend their money to attend.  If they want to leave early, so what?  It's entertainment and maybe they felt like they weren't getting their money's worth.

It's akin to leaving a bad movie early.  I plopped down money to be there.  I can leave if I want.

And as the article said, it was mostly students, particularly frat pledges.  I wasn't in a frat, but do know some chapters make them go back early for some night games to get the after party ready to roll.  All part of it.

30 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Yeah in the 40s with the wind is quite chilly considering it was 90 only a couple of days ago. The booing, while I know was directed as Malzahns complacency to run out the clock before half, was a bad look. The kids were playing hard and putting up decent stats, but the playcalling was leaving them empty on the scoreboard. As much as I disagree with Gus's playcalling and other decisions,  I never want the players to feel discouraged or at fault. 

Agree, the booing looked bad.

I enjoyed the booing of the coach and glad to see them leave.  Makes a point even if that was not the plan.  What i watched last night was pitiful.  

But parties and weather and traffic and travel are all viable options for leaving a very lackluster and boring game.  

Plus fans spend their hard earned money.  They can do what they want.  

4 minutes ago, tomtomwde said:

I enjoyed the booing of the coach and glad to see them leave.  Makes a point even if that was not the plan.  What i watched last night was pitiful.  

But parties and weather and traffic and travel are all viable options for leaving a very lackluster and boring game.  

Plus fans spend their hard earned money.  They can do what they want.  

If I’m being honest, I wouldn’t boo but I don’t begrudge those who did as long as it’s directed at the coaches. As far as the students go, its not a great look but they’re college kids...parties are top priority for them. Not saying its right but it is what it is.

I can relate because I had to turn off the TV during the game last night. I was getting a severe headache from watching it so I went and laid down and tuned the game in on the radio. It was much easier to take that way because on the radio you can´t see a lot of the sloppiness you see on TV. I may finish the season like this!

And don´t lecture our fans, like Saban does, about leaving early. Saban schedules scrimmage games like New Mexico State and expects UA fans not only to pay to watch those games but to stay in the stands cheering until the merciful ending. Fans will stay in the stands and support their teams when the programs do what they´re supposed to do-- schedule quality opponents and put a quality product on the field. Football is entertainment and if the fans aren´t being entertained they will leave.

I’m sure the booing left a great impression the recruits in attendance. 

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

They didn’t dress for the weather when the sun set for one thing.   Just watching the game that was obvious.

They kept cutting to Pat Nix and he and everyone around him looked like they were freezing. 

There’s no reason to leave the game earlier. Check the weather before you leave and bundle up. If you’re from out of town, plan ahead. If you have parties to go to, tailgate instead. Why would you pay for a game and then leave at halftime or even the third quarter. K.J. was right on the money with his tweet. And this comes from someone who wants Gus gone last year

59 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Fans spend their money to attend.  If they want to leave early, so what?  It's entertainment and maybe they felt like they weren't getting their money's worth.

It's akin to leaving a bad movie early.  I plopped down money to be there.  I can leave if I want.

And as the article said, it was mostly students, particularly frat pledges.  I wasn't in a frat, but do know some chapters make them go back early for some night games to get the after party ready to roll.  All part of it.

This. Also if you drove a considerable amount of time to get to auburn and want to get home . 

Try to justify it all you want--half an empty stadium for a primetime SEC game, the first we could bring recruits to in a month, is a bad look.  

If you didnt know it was going to be cold, you're an idiot.  The appointments you had on Sunday already existed when you entered the stadium.  Jesus didnt send you a snap and ask you for a church date at halftime.  If that had been LSU, they stay.

I get people are giving up on the coaching staff.  That isn't how it looks and feels to the kids breaking their backs.  When Derrick Brown is trying to hype the crowd on the final 4th and 2 and the 17 people in the AU section are all that's left....

Some of you people are cutting off the nose to spite the face.

6 minutes ago, musicitytiger said:

Much love for the players, but folks are just tired of watching Gus defeat his own team.  People see this admin won’t pull the trigger, so they politely walk away.

Gus will be fired for losing games. Possibly this season based on the next 3 games. But an 11th ranked team booed by their home fans while winning an SEC game, and emptying the stadium after halftime is the kind of stuff that can crush recruiting. I hate that for the players. 

because its MY money. I eared it and I will spend like I want. If i want to leave guess what? I'm leaving

15 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

There’s no reason to leave the game earlier. Check the weather before you leave and bundle up. If you’re from out of town, plan ahead. If you have parties to go to, tailgate instead. Why would you pay for a game and then leave at halftime or even the third quarter. K.J. was right on the money with his tweet. And this comes from someone who wants Gus gone last year

Archived