I want Mario Cristobal

SKIPPER_01

36 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

And this is exactly why threads like this arise...

Exactly and people are actually okay with that rationale . 

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Geography like father time is undefeated. That is why Nebraska will never ever be anywhere close to as good as they were under tom Osbourne. Once their national recruiting dried up it was curtains for them.

Tennessee recruiting base is not as bad as Nebraska but it is not ideal either. They still shouldn't be as bad as they have been. They are going to have to get lucky with a strong in state recruiting class like when Spurrier won 11 games three straight years at South Carolina. He was able to keep alshon Jeffrey, Melvin Ingram, stephon Gilmore, Marcus lattimore and clowney all in state. All as everyone knows we're elite talent's. 

I honestly think the thing that pushed UT to where they are now is backing out of Greg Schiano. I do not know if it was just karma...but that thing stunk from all sides. I would never have believed you growing up in the 80s that UT would have any season like they have the past couple years. 

It seems as if the state of Tenn recruiting as a whole has been down for a few years now. I was raised in TN and it was never a hot plate for blue chips but there were always some big time guys out of the Memphis area, the Murphreesboro schools always put out good players. Maybe I just haven't followed it as much since I am in Alabama now. I think it is going to take some good recruiting and some great coaching to win some games they really shouldn't to help elevate the recruiting to a formidable level. 

6 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

All I’m saying is we aren’t getting Cristobal. Auburn would have to take a chance on a coach, they aren’t stealing a top 30 coach from a program. They will need to find their own (upcoming) Cristobal they aren’t getting an established Cristobal. We aren’t stealing a James Franklin, Chris Peterson, Lincoln Riley, Tom Herman. We will have to take a shot on a someone like a Gus Malzhan, Terry Bowden, Gene Chizik etc 

We will have to do like the teams in your example. Find an up and comer like Florida did with Urban or Clemson did with Dabo.

Why? Just straight up why? Besides LBS? There is no legitimate reason we couldn't grab a huge name. 

11 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

I would take Cristobal right now, today, before the sun sets. All of that said I still don’t think AU would make a change even if Ga and Al blow us out.  Doing so would require  Harbert to admit he made a mistake and his ego just wouldn’t allow him to do that.  

Why? What do you see in Cristobal's record that indicates he'll be a big winner at Auburn? There's an entire world of coaches out there. What separates Cristobal from the others and makes him the guy you would take right now?

Maybe it was posted earlier, frankly I couldn't wade through 8 pages of this, but wasn't Cristobal the one handing out goodies in Miami that got them smacked with probation and I believe him a show/cause? Precisely what got him hired at $puat? I'm thinking that would work out GREAT for AU.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Tora you been killing it lately with the Snapple facts. It's so baffling to me that we legit have people in here saying they would rather lose to our main rivals due to risking turning into Tennessee . Wow.

You know very well that nobody here has said they would rather lose to their main rivals than take a reasonable risk. Thing is, if we turn into Tennessee we continue to lose to our rivals, plus a bunch of other games too. Then, there are those of us that believe our best shot at beating those rivals is to keep Malzahn in place.

Give me the name of a coach that at least looks like he will do better here than Malzahn has done and is likely to take the job. If your name is another "Oh he's improving" guy, that just means you are willing to gamble Auburn's future on what you might pull out of a grab bag at the county fair. Would Bob Stoops actually come here? If not, who ya' got?

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

You know very well that nobody here has said they would rather lose to their main rivals than take a reasonable risk. Thing is, if we turn into Tennessee we continue to lose to our rivals, plus a bunch of other games too. Then, there are those of us that believe our best shot at beating those rivals is to keep Malzahn in place.

Give me the name of a coach that at least looks like he will do better here than Malzahn has done and is likely to take the job. If your name is another "Oh he's improving" guy, that just means you are willing to gamble Auburn's future on what you might pull out of a grab bag at the county fair. Would Bob Stoops actually come here? If not, who ya' got?

Do you really want the list AGAIN?  Maybe we should start 4 more threads on the same subject so you can continue to poo poo coaches and ignore the glaring deficiencies of the coach we have.  Seems like a reasonable way to spend the next 2 months discussing it ad nauseam.

Speaking of ad nauseam... that might be next year's theme for Gus...  "ad nAUseam".

Sure beats "ride for the brand".

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Nope. You can do your own research in the coaching list threads and find who I like, so I don’t have to repeat myself several times over, Kay?

Nobody has said that ? lol you are legitimately saying it right now by making the assumption that not a single coach can do what Gus has done his whole tenure. The problem is in your mind the only reasonable people will be NS and Dabo. That is the game you play. I am not going to play it. Then you will snicker at the other choices and proclaim “we don’t want to end up like Tennessee.” It is the same formula every time. Again, I am not going to play that game.

But, Mikey, I will go this far and tell you to pick any of the the other 24 coaches in the top 25 right now and I believe they can average 8 wins like Gus while consistently losing to Alabama, Georgia and LSU. He is not doing anything that none of our previous coaches IN MY LIFETIME has done. 

40 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Do you really want the list AGAIN?  Maybe we should start 4 more threads on the same subject so you can continue to poo poo coaches and ignore the glaring deficiencies of the coach we have.  Seems like a reasonable way to spend the next 2 months discussing it ad nauseam.

Speaking of ad nauseam... that might be next year's theme for Gus...  "ad nAUseam".

Sure beats "ride for the brand".

Thank you how many times do we have to do a list for this Guy! Lol it’s the same  names and he gives the same responses . I’ve learn to barb with Mikey in very small increments otherwise you will fall into his trap. 

Our rivals want us to keep Gus. That's all you need to know. Just think about that. You think they want what's best for AU?

Imagine being aligned with LSU/UGA/Bama fans on who AU should keep as their coach. They also wanted Chizik to stay...

Just about every coach that got hired to restore a program five years ago is now gone ….and these were coaches where fans/hiring school expected them to transfer their success to a more challenging level of play..    Essentially there seems to be the  belief that if the guy can do it at  "X University"   he will do equal or better "here" where we have better facilities, more money, more tradition or whatever.   Mostly that's not true. 

Seems that many coaches are successful for a few years under a precise set of conditions....and can't sustain the level of success for more than a few years.....and also can't duplicate those conditions where they were successful....which often is a great QB.     

Hiring  HCs is about the same as signing HS QBs......you just have to be lucky with your choices....JMO  Not saying don't do it....but just keep your expectations under control. 

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just about every coach that got hired to restore a program five years ago is now gone ….and these were coaches where fans/hiring school expected them to transfer their success to a more challenging level of play..    Essentially there seems to be the  belief that if the guy can do it at  "X University"   he will do equal or better "here" where we have better facilities, more money, more tradition or whatever.   Mostly that's not true. 

Seems that many coaches are successful for a few years under a precise set of conditions....and can't sustain the level of success for more than a few years.....and also can't duplicate those conditions where they were successful....which often is a great QB.     

Hiring  HCs is about the same as signing HS QBs......you just have to be lucky with your choices....JMO  Not saying don't do it....but just keep your expectations under control. 

I get what you are saying. I mean, with the exception of a few, Most Championship winning coaches hit lightning in a bottle with a player ( see Gene Chiz and Jimbo and many others) or they benefit from a perfect storm scenario. I would say Saban, Meyer, Spurrier, and a few others are the exception. It is hard to have long time sustained success in this industry. Especially in this day and age where the game is constantly changing and evolving and with the state of society as a whole growing more and more impatient.

Many years ago, As long as the bottom didn't fall out of a program, schools and fans would stick with a coach through the bad years and many times that coach would reclimb the ladder. Peaks and Valleys type of deal. Again, I think a lot of it hinges on circumstances. Take Dabo for example. I am not trying to deminish his accomplishments...he has been incredibly successful and built Clemson into something they tried to be and failed for decades. They are a household name, but I am not naive in the circumstances that helped Dabo and Clemson's rise to prowess. They have mutually benefited from a weak conference, and a declining FSU. Yes they still were very good and earned everything they have won, but if they were in the SEC West IDK that the term Clemsoning doesn't still exist. That's purely speculative of course.

Most coaches have peaks and valleys. Otherwise we would see alot more tenured coaches across the countr with 8,10 15 years at the same school. That isn't as common. I think we are due for a change at this point. I know it's a gamble. I do not want the bottom to fall out like it did with Chiz nor do I think it ever will with Malzahn, but I also do not want to live in mediocre town forever hoping to catch lightning in a bottle every 10 years either. I think Gus can continue to win 8-9 a year. Some years pull off beating rivals, but most time just winning games against the usual suspects and losing the big ones The bigger problem I have is the years that Gus has managed to beat our rivals, and let's do a big what if here for this year and say he pulls it off, He has normally already lost a game that he shouldn't have. It's maddening. 

I do not know who the perfect choice is. I know it's a hamble and we know what we have with MAlzahn...but that in itself is the problem. We know what we have and it isn't good enough. 

With that said let's go out and kick the dog crap out of thUGA

War Damn Eagle!!

11 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I do not know who the perfect choice is. I know it's a hamble and we know what we have with MAlzahn...but that in itself is the problem. We know what we have and it isn't good enough. 

All true.….and mostly I was thinking about Cristobal...the subject of the OP who became desirable because of a couple good years at Oregon....which just happens to coincide with having an  NFL first round QB that he inherited... and probably will not be able to replace when he is gone.  If he works it right,  he might be able to jack up his own contract at Oregon ...or get a big bump up somewhere else... ..because of what Herbert was able to do.   Next year, MC, more likely  will revert to an ordinary coach like he was before he arrived at Oregon. . 

Meanwhile, Taggert's big mistake was not taking Herbert with him to FSU....if he'd done that he might still be the HC there and MC would be the guy in trouble.  . :dunno:

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Have you publicly stated a coach that fits your criteria, or are you just being contrarian because it's the role you like to play?

15 hours ago, McLoofus said:

If I'm the head coach at Clemson having the same success as Dabo and getting paid like Dabo? I don't think so. The only thing that gives me pause is that, while it seems like Clemson has given him full autonomy and he's got what he needs to recruit at bama's level, we *know* that bama's coach cult culture has no boundaries.

If I'm actually Dabo? I dunno. I'm not sure how strong Momma's gravitational pull is for him.

I think the whole way I look at the "Auburn is too tough of a job" thing isn't in terms of Auburn, but in terms of what opportunities are other schools offering. If I'm Dabo, and I'm making elite money, pulling in elite recruiting classes, and then getting an "easier" road to playing the likes of UA, OSU, etc. in the playoffs, I can't think of a reason why I would go to a place like Alabama (aside from personal ties, obviously). I don't think money will be an issue - Clemson can and will pay Dabo if that time comes. 

The question coaches are asking themselves is "can I compete for championships at _______ school?" If I'm Cristobal, I'm asking myself whether I can do that at Oregon, and I think the question is most certainly yes. There's no doubt that the SEC West is still the elite division in all of football, but if the goal at Auburn is the same as it is at Oregon, and if that goal is just as attainable at Oregon, then what's the pull? If it's money that's one thing, but I don't see competing in the SEC as a badge of honor. Cristobal still has a chance to compete against beat the "big boys", while having a more predictable path to doing it each year. 

For someone like PJ Fleck, and the vast majority of other D1 coaches, it's a different equation. Auburn clearly offers opportunities for him that he will never have at Minnesota. It's all relative, but I do think that the difficulty of coaching at Auburn does become a consideration for a select few coaches - and I think Cristobal is one of them. 

I don't think anybody's assuming that any particular coach will be more successful than Gus.

I think most people looking at it objectively think that there is a coach who could be more successful than Gus. Many of us have informed opinions- no matter how many times one particular clown claims that we're choosing these names "randomly"- about who those guys might be, but I don't think any of us are assuming we're right.

What we're pretty confident about is that even if the next guy isn't more successful than Gus, he isn't likely to fall off a cliff like some of you alarmists and apologists predict in the face of all logic and reason.

What we're even more confident about is that even if he does fall off that cliff, we're a program capable of playing for a national title the following year with a defensive back under center.

And, most importantly, what we now know is that the status quo isn't good enough and isn't going to be good enough.

As for this tired QB refrain, please just stop. There are very few Lamar Jacksons or Cam Newtons. Most QBs require competent coaching to succeed at a high level. Several of our QBs would have done much better elsewhere. Quit using that as a backdoor excuse for Gus. Nobody's buying it. 

2 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Have you publicly stated a coach that fits your criteria, or are you just being contrarian because it's the role you like to play?

He doesn't think that Stoops will come here, so he's publicly stated Stoops. 

It's much more the latter. He just keeps ignoring, insulting and deflecting. He gave up on intellectually honest conversation when Gus blew that lead to LSU in 2017. He blamed that loss on the players. It's been nothing but a constant stream of mental diarrhea since. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

He doesn't think that Stoops will come here, so he's publicly stated Stoops. 

It's much more the latter. He just keeps ignoring, insulting and deflecting. He gave up on intellectually honest conversation when Gus blew that lead to LSU in 2017. He blamed that loss on the players. It's been nothing but a constant stream of mental diarrhea since. 

I haven't been on here near as long as you but he lost all of my respect when he was arguing that our OL was good and had depth during the preseason.

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I think the whole way I look at the "Auburn is too tough of a job" thing isn't in terms of Auburn, but in terms of what opportunities are other schools offering. If I'm Dabo, and I'm making elite money, pulling in elite recruiting classes, and then getting an "easier" road to playing the likes of UA, OSU, etc. in the playoffs, I can't think of a reason why I would go to a place like Alabama (aside from personal ties, obviously). I don't think money will be an issue - Clemson can and will pay Dabo if that time comes. 

The question coaches are asking themselves is "can I compete for championships at _______ school?" If I'm Cristobal, I'm asking myself whether I can do that at Oregon, and I think the question is most certainly yes. There's no doubt that the SEC West is still the elite division in all of football, but if the goal at Auburn is the same as it is at Oregon, and if that goal is just as attainable at Oregon, then what's the pull? If it's money that's one thing, but I don't see competing in the SEC as a badge of honor. Cristobal still has a chance to compete against beat the "big boys", while having a more predictable path to doing it each year. 

For someone like PJ Fleck, and the vast majority of other D1 coaches, it's a different equation. Auburn clearly offers opportunities for him that he will never have at Minnesota. It's all relative, but I do think that the difficulty of coaching at Auburn does become a consideration for a select few coaches - and I think Cristobal is one of them. 

Tougher competition, but far superior talent. Even with all that Nike money and those Disneyland facilities, Oregon's recruiting ceiling is ~13th. That's not going to win titles, and that has been proven not just by every national title won in the BCS era but also in Oregon's flirtations with national championships. It's *the* reason that FSU, Ohio State, Texas, USC and of course Clemson are the exceptions to the SEC rule the last 15 years. They can recruit like we can. 

Also, Oregon's roster consists of kids from all over the country and even the Pacific islands. To what extent it's true and it matters, I can't say, but it is generally accepted that you want to recruit closer to home if you can.

There are 13 NFL players from Oregon. There are 55 from Alabama.

There are 235 from the states bordering Oregon. There are 374 from the states bordering Alabama. And that doesn't count the 100+ from South Carolina and Louisiana, which dwarfs all states between California and Texas combined.

So I might have been wrong to suggest the "badge of honor" angle, but I maintain that, no, a coach at Oregon doesn't have everything he needs to win a national title. 

21 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

He won’t . He will say nobody who we can get  (in his eyes) can do better than Gus. It’s the same formula which is why I only engage in small increments.

No guarantees that any change will result in a NC, SECC or even better results against our big rivals. 

We can be guaranteed at this point that with no change there will be NO CHANGE because we have seen the pattern and we know what Gus has shown is what Gus is capable of.

Gus won't change

What I have learned in business is that if someone isn't delivering the desired results it's largely a result of 2 things, training or insubordination. Gus isn't insubordinate so it's lack of knowing what he needs to do to get better. In 7 seasons he's tried different things with the same result. The next step is that if you can't change the coach then you must change the coach. Otherwise you will get the same thing over and over. 

Changing is no guarantee, not changing is a guarantee that things will continue as they are. 

13 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I haven't been on here near as long as you but he lost all of my respect when he was arguing that our OL was good and had depth during the preseason.

He is incapable of admitting even the slightest, most innocuous misstatement. So he doubles down and goes down with his stupidity ship instead of having a conversation. 

Not sure where his need to constantly throw passive aggressive, insulting generalizations at all those with whom he disagrees comes from. But I can imagine that the realization that he's been mostly wrong about everything is upsetting.

Back to the topic at hand, whether it be Cristobal or someone else, our "recruiting network" is going to have to step it up as well.  There's a reason under Chizik we could pull Cam Newton or go into a Thibodaux, LA and pull Greg Robinson and Trovon Reed.  For a couple of years with the entire network was pulling in the same direction. 

It's time for Auburn to get serious, hire a real coach and provide him the players he needs to compete for conference championships.

Archived