I want Mario Cristobal

SKIPPER_01

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Tougher competition, but far superior talent. Even with all that Nike money and those Disneyland facilities, Oregon's recruiting ceiling is ~13th. That's not going to win titles, and that has been proven not just by every national title won in the BCS era but also in Oregon's flirtations with national championships. It's *the* reason that FSU, Ohio State, Texas, USC and of course Clemson are the exceptions to the SEC rule the last 15 years. They can recruit like we can. 

Also, Oregon's roster consists of kids from all over the country and even the Pacific islands. To what extent it's true and it matters, I can't say, but it is generally accepted that you want to recruit closer to home if you can.

There are 13 NFL players from Oregon. There are 55 from Alabama.

There are 235 from the states bordering Oregon. There are 374 from the states bordering Alabama. And that doesn't count the 100+ from South Carolina and Louisiana, which dwarfs all states between California and Texas combined.

So I might have been wrong to suggest the "badge of honor" angle, but I maintain that, no, a coach at Oregon doesn't have everything he needs to win a national title. 

I don’t know, man. Cristobal has already recruited very well at Oregon. He finished ahead of Clemson, Auburn, Ohio State, and Florida in 2019. They were were the number 7 class nationally. California has an enourmous wealth of talent, and he’s hitting California HARD. 5 top 100 recruits nationally, and all five from the state of California, including the state’s number one prospect. 

He only needs to beat the teams on his schedule to make the playoffs, and he’s lapping almost every single one on the recruiting trail. I don’t know how consistently he will win once he gets there, but the key is GETTING THERE, and he won’t have any problem with that at Oregon, IMO. And, if he keeps recruiting that way, I think he’ll be winning when he gets there. 

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Barnacle said:

I don’t know, man. Cristobal has already recruited very well at Oregon. He finished ahead of Clemson, Auburn, Ohio State, and Florida in 2019. They were were the number 7 class nationally. California has an enourmous wealth of talent, and he’s hitting California HARD. 5 top 100 recruits nationally, and all five from the state of California, including the state’s number one prospect. 

He only needs to beat the teams on his schedule to make the playoffs, and he’s lapping almost every single one on the recruiting trail. I don’t know how consistently he will win once he gets there, but the key is GETTING THERE, and he won’t have any problem with that at Oregon, IMO. And, if he keeps recruiting that way, I think he’ll be winning when he gets there. 

They'll jump up every now and then, but it is highly unlikely they'll ever achieve a top-10 average over 4 years. That's what you have to do. No team in the BCS era has made it to the national title game without it- much less won it- except Oregon, twice. They got beat by Cam and Nick and then got dragged by Ohio State. 

Right now, Oregon is sitting at 15th in the recruiting rankings with 21 commitments. We're sitting at 8th with 20, and that is in the middle of a pretty cloudy season.

If I'm proven wrong so be it, but it is unlikely in this current era of CFB that Oregon will ever have a truly elite roster. Meanwhile, Auburn can recruit elite WRs and QBs without even having a competent passing offense or offensive line. 

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Then, there are those of us that believe our best shot at beating those rivals is to keep Malzahn in place.

I realize trying to speak to you is like shouting at a brick wall but, what in his HC history makes you possibly believe he will suddenly start winning rivalry games?

2-4 vs Bama

2-5 vs Georgia

2-5 vs LSU

6-14 against our 3 biggest rivals

0-10 in Baton Rouge, Athens, and Tuscaloosa

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

This thread is interesting to read. Taking it back to Gus' hiring:

On 12/4/2012 at 3:22 PM, selias said:

A search committee and two weeks to bring back the former OC? Auburn is run by a bunch of damned morons. Hello mediocrity!

12 minutes ago, selias said:

I realize trying to speak to you is like shouting at a brick wall but, what in his HC history makes you possibly believe he will suddenly start winning rivalry games?

2-4 vs Bama

2-5 vs Georgia

2-5 vs LSU

6-14 against our 3 biggest rivals

0-10 in Baton Rouge, Athens, and Tuscaloosa

So historically, leaving out Gus's record, we're 108-122 in those games for a win percentage of 47%.

Gus wins them 30% of the time. 

Before anyone mentions saban, Gus's beats bama at a higher percentage than the other two. 

If my math is right.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

They'll jump up every now and then, but it is highly unlikely they'll ever achieve a top-10 average over 4 years. 

Yet to be seen. They may have less elite recruits near Oregon, but he has less competition for those recruits. And, as you mentioned, he is doing a good job of recruiting nationally already. Lots of players from Florida, notably. 

No team in the BCS era has made it to the national title game without it- much less won it- except Oregon, twice.

Results aside, I think this is actually hard to ignore. Clearly, Oregon is a school that can take you to the show. The difference today, IMO, is the type of team that Cristobal is trying to build at Oregon vs. what Chip Kelly was trying to build. Crisobal's teams are being built in a way that will make them much more competitive. 

Right now, Oregon is sitting at 15th in the recruiting rankings with 21 commitments. We're sitting at 8th with 20, and that is in the middle of a pretty cloudy season.

The difference in points between no. 15 Oregon (244) and no. 8 Auburn (257) is essentially the same between Auburn and no. 7 Texas A&M (269). They are only 7 points behind no. 10 Michigan. 

Meanwhile, we play 3 teams each year who consistently out recruit us, and consistently by significant margins. We're currently 47 points behind LSU, 43 points behind Alabama, 18 points behind Georgia and 12 points behind Texas A&M. Oregon trails us by 13 points, and last season they edged us by 6 points. 

I do agree with you that, based on Cristobal's reputation as a recruiter, that he would likely maintain or narrow the gap between Auburn and the big 3 in recruiting if he came here. That's a big deal, but the most important thing he is doing right now is out recruiting the PAC-12 by such margins that make the likelihood of him making the playoffs very, very good. Honestly, he ought to be in the playoffs every other year at Oregon if he keeps recruiting well. 

Anyway, you're right - it's all yet to be seen. I think Cristobal would be an excellent hire. In fact, I think we ought to send you up there to help recruit him. You make a heck of a case. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So historically, leaving out Gus's record, we're 108-122 in those games for a win percentage of 47%.

Gus wins them 30% of the time. 

Before anyone mentions saban, Gus's beats bama at a higher percentage than the other two. 

If my math is right.

The Georgia series was dead even prior to Gus (54-54-8)

6 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

It's so, so shocking, too. 

Just for the record it is Gus doing the recruiting....not Auburn..:dunno: but whatever.

9 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Yet to be seen. They may have less elite recruits near Oregon, but he has less competition for those recruits. And, as you mentioned, he is doing a good job of recruiting nationally already. Lots of players from Florida, notably. 

Results aside, I think this is actually hard to ignore. Clearly, Oregon is a school that can take you to the show. The difference today, IMO, is the type of team that Cristobal is trying to build at Oregon vs. what Chip Kelly was trying to build. Crisobal's teams are being built in a way that will make them much more competitive. 

The difference in points between no. 15 Oregon (244) and no. 8 Auburn (257) is essentially the same between Auburn and no. 7 Texas A&M (269). They are only 7 points behind no. 10 Michigan. 

Meanwhile, we play 3 teams each year who consistently out recruit us, and consistently by significant margins. We're currently 47 points behind LSU, 43 points behind Alabama, 18 points Georgia and 12 points behind Texas A&M. Oregon trails us by 13 points, and last season they edged us by 6 points. 

I do agree with you that, based on Cristobal's reputation as a recruiter, that he would likely maintain or narrow the gap between Auburn and the big 3 in recruiting if he came here. That's a big deal, but the most important thing he is doing right now is out recruiting the PAC-12 by such margins that make the likelihood of him making the playoffs very, very good. Honestly, he ought to be in the playoffs every other year at Oregon if he keeps recruiting well. 

Anyway, you're right - it's all yet to be seen. I think Cristobal would be an excellent hire. In fact, I think we ought to send you up there to help recruit him. You make a heck of a case. 

Love reaction for the first several paragraphs as much as the last one. Well stated counterpoint and I honestly don't have a retort. 

Just now, AU64 said:

Just for the record it is Gus doing the recruiting....not Auburn..:dunno: but whatever.

Let Arkansas hire Gus (please) and we'll see how well he recruits there. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Let Arkansas hire Gus (please) and we'll see how well he recruits there. 

Exactly ! WTH. Was Gene Chizik bringing in the same value recruits at Iowa State that he did at Auburn ? Come on people. 

27 minutes ago, selias said:

The Georgia series was dead even prior to Gus (54-54-8)

I mentioned this the other day as a rebuttal to why I don’t think our program is in a good position and it was dead ignored. The main 3 are going forward and we are stagnant . That is an issue. 

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

I mentioned this the other day as a rebuttal to why I don’t think we our program is in a good position and it was dead ignored. The main 3 are going forward and we are stagnant . That is an issue. 

The program is in a good position...we are at a point where with the right leadership we could go from a top 10- top 15 program perennially to a top 5 with the right coach. Alabama has climbed to the top and stayed there. UGA has improved their national recruiting and won the SEC while playing in a weak SEC east the past 10 years, and LSU has not been relevant much until this year even though they have owned our Coach. We are in as good of a position as we could be to bring in a new coach. We are not Arky or UT where our program is a dumpster fire. We have good recruiting, good culture, and finally seem to be making some progress in upgrading facilities. I think the program is in good shape, just need a new coach to take advantage.

10 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

The program is in a good position...we are at a point where with the right leadership we could go from a top 10- top 15 program perennially to a top 5 with the right coach. Alabama has climbed to the top and stayed there. UGA has improved their national recruiting and won the SEC while playing in a weak SEC east the past 10 years, and LSU has not been relevant much until this year even though they have owned our Coach. We are in as good of a position as we could be to bring in a new coach. We are not Arky or UT where our program is a dumpster fire. We have good recruiting, good culture, and finally seem to be making some progress in upgrading facilities. I think the program is in good shape, just need a new coach to take advantage.

I realize your rationale and it is valid. I consider my rationale valid too. Different strokes for different folks. Wasn’t trying to rehash this debate. Wasn’t saying you were wrong in your position. My issue is with the people who choose to ignore this fact. I don’t think you have ignored this fact as you have stated repeatedly Gus is not the man for this job in your opinion. 

1 hour ago, selias said:

I think we all hoped...it's the erosion of that hope with the record...the how, as well as the what. Isn't it something to visit the last 7 years' threads (I know, who has time for that) and see that 2019 isn't new except for the rise in temperature...

Happy for the high points. Grateful, even. Too immersed in the pattern beyond that. 

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

Then, there are those of us that believe our best shot at beating those rivals is to keep Malzahn in place

But he's shown that even with the better team he can't beat them even half of the time. Folks, we can't be afraid of change. I think some of you would have been okay with continuing to rub two sticks together for fire because it worked every now and then. Thankfully we had forward thinking people who decided that there must be a better way. 

37 minutes ago, DAG said:

I realize your rationale and it is valid. I consider my rationale valid too. Different strokes for different folks. Wasn’t trying to rehash this debate. Wasn’t saying you were wrong in your position. My issue is with the people who choose to ignore this fact. I don’t think you have ignored this fact as you have stated repeatedly Gus is not the man for this job in your opinion. 

well...in your previous post you said the person you were debating "dead ignored" so that's the only reason I replied. I do not want to rehash it either.

3 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

well...in your previous post you said the person you were debating "dead ignored" so that's the only reason I replied. I do not want to rehash it either.

Did I say that? You might want to revisit that sentence. I never put it on one person or poster. 

Archived