Fear

AUght2win

8 hours ago, AURealist said:

Gus is being paid Top 10 Money to field a Top 10 Team.  He should be hiring, recruiting, coaching, etc... with that goal in mind.   

If he wants to run a home for disadvantaged coaches or some other form of charitable organization, he should do it somewhere else with someone else's money.  

This staff is making Top 5 Money.  And rarely do they turn in a Top 10 ranked team.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, keesler said:

This staff is making Top 5 Money.  And rarely do they turn in a Top 10 ranked team.

Them preseason polls though...

48 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

Gus Malzahn vs. Georgia   Does this man look afraid? JUST KIDDING! Great post. OP

Double Bubble at his finest. 

And someone in the wardrobe dept needs to help dress him better, he does not need a shirt that cuts across the chest area.

I took the liberty of carrying your post over to the open forum of 24/7, giving you credit for it of course.....all but a couple were in full agreement or had understanding of what you wrote....I  was so glad that you wrote that, it was so very well thought out and well written that even if one did not agree with you, they would have to respect what you were saying.....I am bringing one back from the free football forum that was in response to what you wrote that is very well written also, although the poster did not quite agree with your assessment ....this comes in from another angle is also well thought out:

I have a much simpler theory. It isn't fear. It's hubris.

Malzahn brought an offensive system and philosophy that was a bit different from the predominant systems being run throughout college football and that he had been developing for years. He believed in it, and he still believes in it. But guys as smart or smarter than Gus and more willing to adapt have had a long time to examine the system and to break down Gus' tendencies and now, when opponents have talent at near-parity, Auburn is becomes relatively easy to defend.

As head coach at Auburn, when Malzahn hasn't had an OL capable of moving the line of scrimmage, an NFL-caliber back, and a respectable talent at QB, the offense hasn't worked really well. But you know what other system works with a really good OL, an elite RB, and a talented QB? All of them.

Gus was never a genius. He was a novelty. He's still a novelty, but the novelty has worn off, so now he's just boring and predictable. Even his little gimmick calls tend to be predictable, which is why so many of them get stuffed.

The game requires evolution and an insistence on scouting oneself. I never get the sense that we've done a good job of scouting ourselves on offense. We're so, so tendency-reliable that coaches who have been around the SEC for a while know what's coming. But Gus still believes he's smarter than everyone else. He's not.

But his belief in himself and his system is supreme, and it's why he won't evolve or truly relinquish control of the offense.

On 11/17/2019 at 10:19 AM, sevenlee36 said:

I think he still tries to be aggressive it just doesn’t work out. Like calling the timeout before half was stupid but aggressive. He goes for it on 4th he comes up short. He goes for an onside kick and a new rule is learned. Football is inches and momentum he just isn’t having anything go his way. Better oline play would have made a huge difference this season but we play have Tega and maybe Brahms who are SEC caliber players. We are too nice and not nasty enough. We need dogs.

In short we are where we are because we haven’t recruited a solid foundation of mean, nasty, talented olinemen since Gus has been here.

Brahms?!!. Our center position no matter who is playing it, has been a liability for 2 years now.

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

Brahms?!!. Our center position no matter who is playing it, has been a liability for 2 years now.

Don’t sleep on your boy. He had a history of injuries. He didn’t play his senior year of high school and spent time recovering and rebuilding strength. Last year was the first playing time he saw in a long time. He has improved and is an improvement from Kim, he actually pushes defenders back. He still has issues but potential is there.

@AUght2win, I've thought same, without laying it out in such detail. And I'll add some specifics that lead me to agree with you. One is 2015. The list of things that went wrong that year is hard to believe. And most of them were beyond his control. I think that heavily fed into the fear you describe and manifests itself in his extreme reluctance to trust his players. Which, in turn, manifested itself most glaringly the following year against Clemson. That abject humiliation of a game plan was the most crystal clear proof of your theory that anyone could ever ask for. He looked across the sideline, said, "My guys can't beat your guys playing normal football", and tried to invent... something else. Now, we didn't yet know just how damned good Kevin Steele would be, but it didn't matter. He didn't believe in the players he recruited or the offense he had coached them to execute. He was scared. You're 100% right. And we've seen countless examples of it since. 

In the immortal words of 38 Special:

You see it all around you
Good lovin' gone bad
And usually it's too late when you, realize what you had
And my mind goes back to a girl I left some years ago (Who told me)
Just hold on loosely
But don't let go
If you cling to tightly
You're gonna lose control

Image result for holding lighter up at a concert gif

On 11/17/2019 at 10:19 AM, sevenlee36 said:

I think he still tries to be aggressive it just doesn’t work out. Like calling the timeout before half was stupid but aggressive. He goes for it on 4th he comes up short. He goes for an onside kick and a new rule is learned. Football is inches and momentum he just isn’t having anything go his way. Better oline play would have made a huge difference this season but we play have Tega and maybe Brahms who are SEC caliber players. We are too nice and not nasty enough. We need dogs.

In short we are where we are because we haven’t recruited a solid foundation of mean, nasty, talented olinemen since Gus has been here.

I completely agree with this sentiment. I believe a mean, nasty offensive line would solve Gus's problems. I've been.... not necessarily a Gus defender.... but I've put up with him longer than most. I still think he puts us in position to compete with top level talent, and at least gives us a chance to win big games. Certainly don't want to settle for that, but it seems to me like the offensive line issues have absolutely plagued us the previous few years. Being able to run the ball is important in his offense, and 5 big ol' nasty farm strength boys on the line would go a long way in helping out. 

Look at Braden Smith, Alex Kozan, Casey Dunn, Greg Robinson, Reese Dismukes.... those guys had a mean streak about them when they played on the offensive line. They were all genuinely nice guys, but when it got time to get in the trenches, you didn't want to be on the other side of them.

I think we beat UGA with a big, mean, tough offensive line that was able to establish some sort of running game on Saturday. 

On 11/17/2019 at 3:09 AM, AUght2win said:

I've thought a lot recently about what makes Gus, Gus. He is, bar none, the most mystifying decision maker I have ever seen at a major sports level. So why is he the way he is? I tried to strip down his decisions, his patterns, his philosophies, his mannerisms, what he says. What is the common thread that explains it all?

It's fear.

He did not have it in 2013. What was there to be afraid of? He was hungry and under the radar. No pressure for his first year at Auburn with a team that won 3 games the season prior. He played to win with a chip on his shoulder. He rolled the dice and made gutsy play calls. He truly competed.

Then a bad half in Pasadena happened and I don't think Gus ever truly recovered. It planted irreparable seeds of doubt. Sure, there were some leftovers of the 2013 mojo the next season. But by the end of 2014, the most dangerous coach in America was gone forever.

So why did Gus clearly lose his attitude and edge?

After 2013, Gus couldn't handle the new light he was seen in. In his mind, he was a humble high school coach from Arkansas who eats at Waffle House after a win. And that works fine when you're under the radar. But what happens when you get to the top? When you are expected to stay there? 

My theory is Gus panicked. The country boy from Arkansas just flat didn't know how to handle success. He's like a dude who starts dating a girl "out of his league". He can't accept the reality that they are really together, so he just tries to hang on. Of course, ironically, this is why she leaves him.

With each loss or failure, Gus let his insecurities take hold. He became petrified of letting his doubts be proven true, and being seen as an over-his-head failure who didn't belong. So he made a change (and not just with the "look, I belong" sports car purchase).

Gus ditched playing to win and instead played not-to-lose. He just wanted to clutch to what he had. It's why he became increasingly conservative. He began to rely on field goals. He became absolutely obsessed with ball security. He oversimplified and overcomplicated gameplans (Cox Cat, for example). And he never deepened the offense or hired assistants who would challenge him, because challenge could lead to change, and change would potentially collapses the house of cards he was just trying to keep up.

After 7 years, Gus now exudes fear. He is a nervous wreck on the sideline. He calls timeouts and causes presnap confusion as he over thinks play calls. He is responsible for more media disinformation than the KGB, and his statements spin losses with "we are a work in progress, we did a lot of good things, we played a top ten team close". The fear can even be seen in the way he has coached Bo, who is much more uptight than he was in Arlington.

I remember someone (maybe Jay G Tate) saying last year during the Stoops debacle that Gus' greatest fear is being fired. That tells me so much. 

His story is going to end up being a sad one. A coach who could never find the courage to overcome his fears and insecurities. 

Auburn is about playing to win. Being "Fearless and True". These are the antithesis of Gus, and it's why he can't stay. 

nailed it; great analysis

6 hours ago, doverstutts said:

I took the liberty of carrying your post over to the open forum of 24/7, giving you credit for it of course.....all but a couple were in full agreement or had understanding of what you wrote....I  was so glad that you wrote that, it was so very well thought out and well written that even if one did not agree with you, they would have to respect what you were saying.....I am bringing one back from the free football forum that was in response to what you wrote that is very well written also, although the poster did not quite agree with your assessment ....this comes in from another angle is also well thought out:

I have a much simpler theory. It isn't fear. It's hubris.

Malzahn brought an offensive system and philosophy that was a bit different from the predominant systems being run throughout college football and that he had been developing for years. He believed in it, and he still believes in it. But guys as smart or smarter than Gus and more willing to adapt have had a long time to examine the system and to break down Gus' tendencies and now, when opponents have talent at near-parity, Auburn is becomes relatively easy to defend.

As head coach at Auburn, when Malzahn hasn't had an OL capable of moving the line of scrimmage, an NFL-caliber back, and a respectable talent at QB, the offense hasn't worked really well. But you know what other system works with a really good OL, an elite RB, and a talented QB? All of them.

Gus was never a genius. He was a novelty. He's still a novelty, but the novelty has worn off, so now he's just boring and predictable. Even his little gimmick calls tend to be predictable, which is why so many of them get stuffed.

The game requires evolution and an insistence on scouting oneself. I never get the sense that we've done a good job of scouting ourselves on offense. We're so, so tendency-reliable that coaches who have been around the SEC for a while know what's coming. But Gus still believes he's smarter than everyone else. He's not.

But his belief in himself and his system is supreme, and it's why he won't evolve or truly relinquish control of the offense.

I used to think it was hubris. And that may be part of the cocktail. But if Gus was arrogant, he wouldn't have any problem bringing in coaches with real offensive resumes. Arrogant people are SO self assured that they believe they know best regardless of who is in the room. Ala Saban. Gus knows this isn't true, so he makes sure his room stays uneducated and weak. 

I think what we see as arrogance or hubris is actually an attempt to mask his fear. Again, as previously stated, I think he is terrified of being seen as a failure, so he acts like he has it all together. Fake it 'til you make it, and hope nobody figures out you don't know what you're doing. Never change. Never waiver. Because if you did, then maybe the whole thing would unravel.

I kinda think from all I have read here and observed in general over past 5 years or so that the biggest problems with Gus are roster mismanagement (mainly the offensive line) and not playing to the strengths of your team (on offense). 

3 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

I kinda think from all I have read here and observed in general over past 5 years or so that the biggest problems with Gus are roster mismanagement (mainly the offensive line) and not playing to the strengths of your team (on offense). 

And just stupid football decisions

I believe everyone is trying to figure out and explain what is simply a coach that is in over his head.   

I keep hearing from him that Auburn is a power run team first, but I never see Auburn line up under center with a fullback and run power off guard for a two yard gain when needed.  I understand that there are variations to this out of the shotgun with a power running qb(hint hint JG).   How nice would it be to see some power I backfield with play action to a tight end.  

I just don’t understand why there can’t be any change in formation besides the stupid sugar huddle 

This is true. Malzahn has lost his nerve. We have all seen this before. Often a coach who reaches a certain pinnacle of success becomes conservative, that is as the OP points out, plays not to lose rather than playing to win. Coach Dye went through this after the '83 season (actually in the Sugar bowl against Michigan). His post '83 teams played as if walking on egg shells. His well documented cough would start a few weeks in advance of the Iron bowl. Then there is Tuberville. How many risks did the Riverboat gamble take in his later years. I remember early on, a fake punt attempt against uf, from our own endzone!  Yet in the later years, if Auburn had a 3 point leading going into the second half, Tubs would shut down the offense out of fear of a game changing mistake. Remember how crazy it was for Malzahn to go for two, in the early years, after a touchdown. When it wasn't needed. He would not dream of taking such a chance now. He won't even call for a two point now when it is the proper call. Hell, early on, if there was any time at all on the clock before half time, and Auburn had the ball, you could  count on Malzahn for aggressive play calling to at least get into field goal range if not in position to score a td. Now it is three dive plays and walk to the locker room.

Malzahn has two voices in his head on game day.. Unfortunately, for the past few years, he has listened to the one pointing out what could go wrong, instead of the one saying what could go right. 

A long time ago he used to be aggressive but was smart about it. Now he picks really weird times to be aggressive just so he can claim to be aggressive and it has blown up in his face.

The UGA timeout before halftime when UGA wanted to just go into the locker room.

LSU right before halftime, we could've played for a FG (which made the difference in the game when the clock hit 00:00) but he tells his freshman QB to take a shot down field -- and it was a pick.

Maybe I'm using the benefit of hindsight but it's one thing when you're just aggressive because that's how you roll all the time vs being conservative 90% of the time and then try to all of a sudden get gutsy. 

I really miss 2013/2014 Gus. That guy was fun. And even though he had some warts he was who he was. Now I don't even think he knows who he is anymore.

All I can say is I hope he turns the kids loose next Saturday to play and enjoy themselves. He should look at his contract and realize being afraid is not the answer, nor a way to win the game.

On 11/22/2019 at 7:44 AM, Tiger said:

A long time ago he used to be aggressive but was smart about it. Now he picks really weird times to be aggressive just so he can claim to be aggressive and it has blown up in his face.

The UGA timeout before halftime when UGA wanted to just go into the locker room.

LSU right before halftime, we could've played for a FG (which made the difference in the game when the clock hit 00:00) but he tells his freshman QB to take a shot down field -- and it was a pick.

So true. He has no true feel for a football game. That's one thing he truly does and has always lacked. He doesn't understand (or maybe even believe in) momentum or flows of the game.

On 11/21/2019 at 5:41 PM, Methuselah said:

What you perceive to be fear, I perceive to be Asperger's. 

Not kidding, I believe there is no chance he's not on the spectrum.

I've said he seems to be aspergeresque before too. However from everything I've heard and seen when away from the cameras. He isn't.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, rophle said:

I think he made some good ones yesterday, though. 

Well, as far as the 12th man play goes, it was a good play but I'd rather have gotten a first down.

23 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Well, as far as the 12th man play goes, it was a good play but I'd rather have gotten a first down.

But he did.  He called a play that fooled the defense and gained the offense 5 yards and a first down.

4 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

But he did.  He called a play that fooled the defense and gained the offense 5 yards and a first down.

It is not clear that was Gus' intent. In post game interview he said intent was to keep Waddle off the field.

19 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I'd much rather stand up, say we're gonna run right here and there's not a damn thing you can do about it then proceed to impose our will as opposed to hoping we trick someone.

Archived