Dug up after a year, for some reason: Endorsement for Steele

AUght2win

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

Lol please be sarcasm font.

Since then he's coached under Bowden, Saban, Swinney, and Miles. FSU, Alabama, Clemson, LSU. He's single-handedly kept our program afloat. But sure, let's judge him off Baylor 20 years ago. Belichick had a losing record with his first head coaching stint. Logic says you guys would've written him off forever.

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Help me understand what makes you so certain he would be a bad hire. Note: I don’t take issue with having a few other coaches higher on the list. I just don’t get the doom and gloom.

Just look at his self portrait that appears by his chosen name. Nuff said.

39 minutes ago, TigerTale said:

Cristobal should take one look at Taggert and consider what he has going for him at Oregon and stay.

The FSU and Auburn situations have basically zero similarities.

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

That is not what I said or described. Travis Williams would run the defense.  But Steele would still be around and could offer input or be a resource.  That’s not “running the defense” or having to be Clark Kent.

You mean the way Saban helped Kirby early on?

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You mean the way Saban helped Kirby early on?

More or less, yeah.  He can be the head coach, but he'd just have more input on the defensive side of the ball when needed so T-Will isn't having to totally sink or swim on his own right out the gate.

23 minutes ago, warhogone said:

Just look at his self portrait that appears by his chosen name. Nuff said.

Not sure what that means or why you entered an ongoing conversation to deliver what appears to be an attempted insult.    ????

Again it would likely be Steele for the simple fact that Auburn doesn’t want to fire a bunch of Auburn guys like RG, Twill, Cadillac, and Kodi Burns.  They just wouldn’t want to do it. It’d be like foreclosing on a church.

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

More or less, yeah.  He can be the head coach, but he'd just have more input on the defensive side of the ball when needed so T-Will isn't having to totally sink or swim on his own right out the gate.

I'm thinking Saban might have been able to make some time to do that.  Of course, he'd already had years of head coaching experience by then...

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

I'm thinking Saban might have been able to make some time to do that.  Of course, he'd already had years of head coaching experience by then...

It's not rocket science for a guy with Steele's years of experience.  He's seen it done (including under Saban).  Let's not act like this is some impossible task.

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It's not rocket science for a guy with Steele's years of experience.  He's seen it done (including under Saban).  Let's not act like this is some impossible task.

No one said impossible.  I think it's improbable Coach Steele is going to  pan out as Auburn's HC.

I  just refuse to act as though I believe being a DC for 35 yrs makes one a winning SEC HC - who also has spare time to tutor the DC.  

I wouldnt be surprised by Steele  being hired.   I would be surprised if they got a splash hire which they never do. 

i would feel better about our chances as an offensive team if steele took over  which says alot about my confidence in gus 

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Since then he's coached under Bowden, Saban, Swinney, and Miles. FSU, Alabama, Clemson, LSU. He's single-handedly kept our program afloat. But sure, let's judge him off Baylor 20 years ago. Belichick had a losing record with his first head coaching stint. Logic says you guys would've written him off forever.

We always say we need to hire a proven HC, not an OC or DC because you run the risk of them being a poor HC. We've literally hired the last two coaches we've fired because they were good as coordinators. I'd be hesitant to hire any coordinator, much less one who's already failed to produce results as an HC. And please spare me the "He coached under Saban!" line.... So did McElwain, Pruitt, and Muschamp. That's hardly a good metric for determining someone's potential as a Head Coach in the SEC. The failure rate of Saban coached coordinators right now is around 75%.

Edit: I say we've fired the last two coaches as an assumption that we'll fire Malzahn.

3 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

I just don't get the love for Clark.  Can somebody share why numerous people want him? 

The thing I really like about Steele is that the defense will run through walls for him and he builds depth by playing multiple Freshmen every year.  It's so different from Gus.

Long time HS coach in Alabama that has connections. Has won championships everywhere. When at Prattville High, took on and defeated some of the best Propst Hoover teams. Carried UAB through self imposed death penalty and has turned them into an upper-echelon C-USA team (I know, not saying much) but UAB was a historically repressed program that was never intended to compete for any type of championships (Garrick McGee and Neil Callaway say hello). Heck, they said "no" to Jimbo Fisher, who would've likely turned them into a winner in a couple 2 or 3 years. Is a heckuva defensive mind/motivator. UAB has a top 10 defense this year (in terms of yards per game), and while I know that the competition isn't premier, they're doing it with 2-stars.

The promotion KS is hard to understand.....he's coached for nearly 40 years and has a HC record of 8-36, the last HC job more than 15 years ago.  :slapfh:  KS is a very good DC but it he is our best choice for HC we might as well stick with Gus.    Promote KS and we lose a good DC, have an unknown OC situation.  

And of course as noted by a couple people, when gus goes, the odds are pretty good that KS will be gone too since HCs like to bring their own staff.   I just can't see AU insisting a new HC keep KS, and then hold the new guy accountable for the team's performance. 

JMO but when gus goes we will need to be prepared for losing the majority of the current staff on both sides of the ball. 

Comparing Steele to Orgeron is the best comparison out there. His time at Baylor as HC is almost totally irrelevant I think. I would be fine letting Steele be the guy......if we gave him the job right now. Let him coach out the season, see how it goes as a trial run. We ain’t playing for championships at this point so let’s play for the future of Auburn football. KS might be the perfect fit at Auburn just like Coach O appears to be at LSU. My opinion is admittedly colored by my desire to do anything but keep limping along with Gus. We’ve had this same conversation for at least 4 years now. It has completely sucked the life and enthusiasm out of AU football it seems

3 hours ago, AURealist said:

No one can be certain Steele would be a bad hire.  I just don't have any reason to believe he'd be able to carry out all the duties of HC and mentor the defense and beat UGA, LSU and bama every other year.  Seriously, I have no reason at all to believe he could do it.  If he has head coach aspirations, he should be head coach at a lesser school.  I don't get how being a HC in lesser Top 5 Conferences is a black mark against other possible applicants, but not ever being a successful HC anywhere isn't a factor where Steele is concerned.  

We gambled on Chiz.

We gambled on Gus.

Why are we willing to gamble again on someone who isn't even a proven HC anywhere?

I don't need reasons to not like the idea.  I need a reason to like it.

I generally agree with you, but have given up hope over the years of Auburn ever having that splash hire. Just not happening-- and if it does I'll be happy I'm wrong. Given that, Steele is much better than many of the other unknown coach hires out there. So I could get behind the idea of promoting him.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

The FSU and Auburn situations have basically zero similarities.

Not comparing the 2 programs. No doubt AU is in a much better place at the moment than FSU was 2 years ago or even now.

Simply stating that leaving Oregon for FSU was a disaster for Taggert. Cristobal leaving Oregon (where he has gained much favor among the fans) to come to Auburn where we are going to expect him to beat LSU, UGA, and Bama right out of the gate could be a disaster for him as well.

Would you advise him to leave Oregon for Auburn knowing the expectation we fans are going to put on him immediately?

11 minutes ago, channonc said:

I generally agree with you, but have given up hope over the years of Auburn ever having that splash hire. Just not happening-- and if it does I'll be happy I'm wrong. Given that, Steele is much better than many of the other unknown coach hires out there. So I could get behind the idea of promoting him.

Giving in to the worst idea we could come up with because you expect the PTB is incapable of doing something smart. That actually makes me sad.  I understand it, but it's damned sad.

Hopefully, it will never come to that.  Are we really going to fire our coach under an interim president?  I figure we'll just continue to slide down the slope with Gus at least until the end of next season.  Maybe they'll find whatever is in Auburn's water that's making people so irrational about Steele and we can all have a real discussion about replacing the GusBot...

51 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

We always say we need to hire a proven HC, not an OC or DC because you run the risk of them being a poor HC. We've literally hired the last two coaches we've fired because they were good as coordinators. I'd be hesitant to hire any coordinator, much less one who's already failed to produce results as an HC. And please spare me the "He coached under Saban!" line.... So did McElwain, Pruitt, and Muschamp. That's hardly a good metric for determining someone's potential as a Head Coach in the SEC. The failure rate of Saban coached coordinators right now is around 75%.

Edit: I say we've fired the last two coaches as an assumption that we'll fire Malzahn.

There aren't many proven big time winners available. Leach, Patterson, Gundy - all meh. Campbell, Fleck, Rhule, all those guys run small time programs so they are going to be a risk just like Steele. 

If we can get Stoops or Chris Petersen or... (there really aren't many splash candidates, proving my point) whoever, then great! I just don't know who that will be. And you guys have yet to name anybody that fits that bill.

5 minutes ago, TigerTale said:

Not comparing the 2 programs. No doubt AU is in a much better place at the moment than FSU was 2 years ago or even now.

Simply stating that leaving Oregon for FSU was a disaster for Taggert. Cristobal leaving Oregon (where he has gained much favor among the fans) to come to Auburn where we are going to expect him to beat LSU, UGA, and Bama right out of the gate could be a disaster for him as well.

Would you advise him to leave Oregon for Auburn knowing the expectation we fans are going to put on him immediately?

You also have to consider that Oregon does not want another coach to leave them for a "better" job.  Cristobal is gonna get a nice raise this off season, maybe thanks to Auburn.

21 minutes ago, channonc said:

I generally agree with you, but have given up hope over the years of Auburn ever having that splash hire. 

Who qualifies as a splash, specifically, that is even available?

9 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

You also have to consider that Oregon does not want another coach to leave them for a "better" job.  Cristobal is gonna get a nice raise this off season, maybe thanks to Auburn.

Yep. After Taggert dumped them and with the success Cristobal has had in his 2 seasons, he's gonna get a raise.

1. Under most circumstances, Gus would not be going out the door this year unless some team comes after him and offers him MORE than his Auburn contract. Because "the future is bright." We are blinded by the light! Prospects of that happening are very slim.

2. Gus is very, very, very unlikely of being fired, because (a) Greene would not want to make that move without a President in place in the Admin building, and (b) we are talking huge buckets of money here during a presidential search.

3. If Gus decides he wants to go, leaving many millions of $ contractually committed to him in Auburn pockets instead of his own pockets, Steele would most likely be hired. Since he is a defense guy, he will want to seek out a top notch OC and he'll be given the money to do it. This would not be a Dilly from u the road hire. This would enable him to lure a really good OC (see Orgeron, not Michigan) and let the new OC install a brand new, modern style offense and run it.

Archived