Dug up after a year, for some reason: Endorsement for Steele

AUght2win

1 hour ago, AURealist said:

No one said impossible.  I think it's improbable Coach Steele is going to  pan out as Auburn's HC.

I  just refuse to act as though I believe being a DC for 35 yrs makes one a winning SEC HC - who also has spare time to tutor the DC.  

I can only speak to this. Like CKS, I am within 3 years of retirement if I choose to. I've always desired to be a shoulder for new teachers, but there's a certain intensity that ramps when you assess where you are in life in view of investment potential. It seems to fit perfectly, IMO, timing and priority-wise for him.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, AURex said:

1. Under most circumstances, Gus would not be going out the door this year unless some team comes after him and offers him MORE than his Auburn contract. Because "the future is bright." We are blinded by the light! Prospects of that happening are very slim.

2. Gus is very, very, very unlikely of being fired, because (a) Greene would not want to make that move without a President in place in the Admin building, and (b) we are talking huge buckets of money here during a presidential search.

3. If Gus decides he wants to go, leaving many millions of $ contractually committed to him in Auburn pockets instead of his own pockets, Steele would most likely be hired. Since he is a defense guy, he will want to seek out a top notch OC and he'll be given the money to do it. This would enable him to lure a really good OC (see Orgeron, not Michigan) and let the new OC install a brand new, modern style offense and run it.

You had me right up until the reality gave way to magical thinking:

"...he'll be given the money to do it. This would enable him to lure a really good OC (see Orgeron, not Michigan) and let the new OC install a brand new, modern style offense and run it."

Steele will magically be an SEC caliber HC and will also magically get a top notch SEC caliber OC. 

Well, hell, why didn't anyone say so?   I'm all in on Kevin Steele!  Where do I sign? And give me my unicorn. 

38 minutes ago, TigerTale said:

Not comparing the 2 programs. No doubt AU is in a much better place at the moment than FSU was 2 years ago or even now.

Simply stating that leaving Oregon for FSU was a disaster for Taggert. Cristobal leaving Oregon (where he has gained much favor among the fans) to come to Auburn where we are going to expect him to beat LSU, UGA, and Bama right out of the gate could be a disaster for him as well.

Would you advise him to leave Oregon for Auburn knowing the expectation we fans are going to put on him immediately?

No. We won't. He or anyone would get the same grace period. The excuses we allow for Gus would actually be relevant. I doubt the grace period would be 7 years or connected to $49 million, though. 😉🦋

3 minutes ago, AURealist said:

"...he'll be given the money to do it. This would enable him to lure a really good OC (see Orgeron, not Michigan) and let the new OC install a brand new, modern style offense and run it."

Steele will magically be an SEC caliber HC and will also magically get a top notch SEC caliber OC. 

Well, hell, why didn't anyone say so?   I'm all in on Kevin Steele!  Where do I sign? And give me my unicorn. 

Doesn't require magical thinking. Steele would not be offered a contract like Gus. Less money, less buyout, more performance incentives instead. Money instead goes to offensive assistants, esp OC.

Of course, I'm speaking as if I were the one making decisions -- which obviously I am not.

5 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Realist gonna be real. Just watch it unfold, and our 20/20 will carry it from there. 😁

7 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

@bigbird @WarDamnEagleWDE @TitanTiger assuming this scenario plays out as suggested with KS taking over as HC who would you guys and others like to see brought in as OC? 

I'd look at Kendal Briles, Jeff Scott, Sean Gleeson, Bill Bedenbaugh, or Cale Gundy first

Just now, AURex said:

Doesn't require magical thinking. Steele would not be offered a contract like Gus. Less money, less buyout, more performance incentives instead. Money instead goes to offensive assistants, esp OC.

Of course, I'm speaking as if I were the one making decisions -- which obviously I am not.

But your ideas make a lot of sense in the performance-based sense. Auburn athletics won't withstand the outcry connected to such a lopsided contract again. 

2 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

I can only speak to this. Like CKS, I am within 3 years of retirement if I choose to. I've always desired to be a shoulder for new teachers, but there's a certain intensity that ramps when you assess where you are in life in view of investment potential. It seems to fit perfectly, IMO, timing and priority-wiee for him.

I usually completely get your posts and like them and most often agree with them.  Can you please expand your thoughts on this one? 

You're saying taking over the duties of running the entire Auburn University Football Program would be just the right thing for Kevin Steele?  Because his intensity is ramped-up and he's ready to make the real money?   Or is the extra intensity going to be used to teach defensive strategy to his new DC?  

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'd look at Kendal Briles, Jeff Scott, Sean Gleeson, Bill Bedenbaugh, or Cale Gundy first

I remember you being a big fan of Briles a year or so ago, I’m not as familiar with the other two. Also, do you think those would be the candidates or others that would be likely? Thanks for the input

7 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

I remember you being a big fan of Briles a year or so ago, I’m not as familiar with the other two. Also, do you think those would be the candidates or others that would be likely? Thanks for the input

I added a couple more to the list.

That is my list. I have zero insight on who would be on a list right now. As a coach, you always have a short list of who you enjoy working with, who you'd like to coach with, and what type of schemes you want.

Another I'd add is Phil Longo

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I added a couple more to the list.

That is my list. I have zero insight on who would be on a list right now. As a coach, you always have a short list of who you enjoy working with, who you'd like to coach with, and what type of schemes you want.

Another I'd add is Phil Longo

Bedenbaugh would be an intriguing hire imo. Okie always has a pretty stout OL

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

I usually completely get your posts and like them and most often agree with them.  Can you please expand your thoughts on this one? 

You're saying taking over the duties of running the entire Auburn University Football Program would be just the right thing for Kevin Steele?  Because his intensity is ramped-up and he's ready to make the real money?   Or is the extra intensity going to be used to teach defensive strategy to his new DC?  

Sure! You're right...it's a huge job, period, especially for someone who can't delegate or know, much less play, to his strengths (CGM, IMO). CKS strikes me as an honest straight-shooter with a realistic view of himself, esp. at his life stage.  I focused on the "time to mentor" aspect and the perception... maybe just my own...that CKS is not out to be, motive-wise, a high-powered head coach at this point in his life. He would take it, I believe temporarily, to help the program get on the right track. He would take it to keep present and future recruits intact because of his/his staff's investment, credibility, and results. It caught my eye to read that some coaches under him are advancing, quality-wise, and this is exciting. (It's been such the opposite on the offense, not just Gus...we've had questions about various position coaches for years.) 

The intensity to invest in another when you're close to stepping away, career-wise, is something I can relate to. As well, we're planting a church right now that I pray will LOOOONNNGGGG outlive us. 😃

I'm just seeing him as a servant in this adventure who didn't ask for the possible opportunity... but is willing to be a large part of the solution..."for such a time as this."

3 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

Bedenbaugh would be an intriguing hire imo. Okie always has a pretty stout OL

And very good recruiter

5 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Sure! You're right...it's a huge job, period, especially for someone who can't delegate or know, much less play, to his strengths (CGM, IMO). CKS strikes me as an honest straight-shooter with a realistic view of himself, esp. at his life stage.  I focused on the "time to mentor" aspect and the perception... maybe just my own...that CKS is not out to be, motive-wise, a high-powered head coach at this point in his life. He would take it, I believe temporarily, to help the program get on the right track. He would take it to keep present and future recruits intact because of his/his staff's investment, credibility, and results. It caught my eye to read that some coaches under him are advancing, quality-wise, and this is exciting. (It's been such the opposite on the offense, not just Gus...we've had questions about various position coaches for years.) 

The intensity to invest in another when you're close to stepping away, career-wise, is something I can relate to. As well, we're planting a church right now that I pray will LOOOONNNGGGG outlive us. 😃

I'm just seeing him as a servant in this adventure who didn't ask for the possible opportunity... but is willing to be a large part of the solution..."for such a time as this."

I hear you.  

There's been a group of crazy people passing around a bottle Steele-flavored Flav-O-Raid all night.

You took a long sip, didn't you?   

Oh, and best wishes for the new church.  

1 hour ago, AURealist said:

Giving in to the worst idea we could come up with because you expect the PTB is incapable of doing something smart. That actually makes me sad.  I understand it, but it's damned sad.

Hopefully, it will never come to that.  Are we really going to fire our coach under an interim president?  I figure we'll just continue to slide down the slope with Gus at least until the end of next season.  Maybe they'll find whatever is in Auburn's water that's making people so irrational about Steele and we can all have a real discussion about replacing the GusBot...

It’s not the worst idea we could come up with. It’s probably the best “non-splash” hire we could do. 

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Who qualifies as a splash, specifically, that is even available?

Any of the above known names with proven records that have been mentioned I would consider to be splash. 

Just now, AURealist said:

I hear you.  

There's been a group of crazy people passing around a bottle Steele-flavored Flav-O-Raid all night.

You took a long sip, didn't you?   

Realist...well, people like people that are like them. Human nature. So if I have my druthers, sky being the limit, the below...might be my "Coach Spirit Animal"...or two.😁 And if not. there are plenty of well-laid-out reasons from "people close or people wise" to be happy about letting Coach Steele have our support, should he be called upon to do so. 

I really think @ellitor summed up my thinking perfectly with his response to Civil's joking. Too tired to repost, but essentially...too many clues and cues to ignore. To me, nearly everyone mentioned on the countless posts would be an improvement, so I hope we can all get behind whomever and move on.

I do not, under any circumstances, believe the base can ever unite behind CGM again, no matter what. I want him to land in his niche, wiser, and have a fresh start to eventually soar. 

No, no Flavoraid. Thinking about buttermilk, though...🤣🤣🤣

super-mario-party-river-survival-switch-minigames-preview-hands-on.jpg

Well, fact is (and I'm suggesting it is actually a fact), Auburn has never been able to lure at top tier coach to the Plains. So any speculation about Stoops or Meyer are pie-in-the-sky fantasy. IMO, so is Cristobal, who woukd likely use an invite from Auburn to renegotiate his contract at Oregon.

Clark would be great at recruiting 2 and 3 star players from the state of Alabama. Looks like a few people here would vote for that.

I've got no say in the matter (just like all the rest of us) but IF CGM is gone (which I really, really, really doubt will happen this season, I expect CKS to be the next guy, and let him find a really great OC.

1 minute ago, ToraGirl said:

Realist...well, people like people that are like them. Human nature. So if I have my druthers, sky being the limit, the below...might be my "Coach Spirit Animal"...or two.😁 And if not. there are plenty of well-laid-out reasons from "people close or people wise" to be happy about letting Coach Steele have our support, should he be called upon to do so. 

I really think @ellitor summed up my thinking perfectly with his response to Civil's joking. Too tired to repost, but essentially...too many clues and cues to ignore. To me, nearly everyone mentioned on the countless posts would be an improvement, so I hope we can all get behind whomever and move on.

I do not, under any circumstances, believe the base can ever unite behind CGM again, no matter what. I want him to land in his niche, wiser, and have a fresh start to eventually soar. 

No, no Flavoraid. Thinking about buttermilk, though...🤣🤣🤣

I understand your position.  I love Auburn and hope the Auburn PTB make a wise decision.

I do not however think handing the reins to Coach Steele is a wise decision.  

UGA sees what Dabo Swinney is doing at Clemson.  They want the same thing and hire Kirby Smart.

Auburn PTB sees Orgeron At LSU and what do they do?  Promote Kevin Steele.

Totally trendy stupid.

Totally JABA. 

People are really selling the idea, though, so somebody's going to think it's a good idea and probably make it happen.  

WDE.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

There aren't many proven big time winners available. Leach, Patterson, Gundy - all meh. Campbell, Fleck, Rhule, all those guys run small time programs so they are going to be a risk just like Steele. 

If we can get Stoops or Chris Petersen or... (there really aren't many splash candidates, proving my point) whoever, then great! I just don't know who that will be. And you guys have yet to name anybody that fits that bill.

Literally any of them have something that CKS doesn't have: empirical evidence to suggest they can succeed as a Head Coach. The only argument anyone on here can offer for why Kevin Steel would succeed as a Head Coach is because he's a great coordinator (so were Chizik and Malzahn), and because he coached under Saban (I make the point again that so did Muschamp, McElwain, and Pruitt). 

Auburn can get a big hire. This isn't the days of Jay Jacobs where we hire a mediocre coach with possible upside because he goes to church every Sunday and is an "Auburn Man."

2 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

Literally any of them have something that CKS doesn't have: empirical evidence to suggest they can succeed as a Head Coach. The only argument anyone on here can offer for why Kevin Steel would succeed as a Head Coach is because he's a great coordinator (so were Chizik and Malzahn), and because he coached under Saban (I make the point again that so did Muschamp, McElwain, and Pruitt). 

Auburn can get a big hire. This isn't the days of Jay Jacobs where we hire a mediocre coach with possible upside because he goes to church every Sunday and is an "Auburn Man."

I've heard different unfortunately. I'd like for my friend to be wrong, but the fact that discussion has turned to Steele supports what he has told me. The fans, the administration, the schedule, and the rivalry dependency isn't that attractive.

I have live footage of us approaching and offering Cristobal and his response (we tried to be sneaky and wear red hoping people wouldn't know it was us):

10 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I've heard different unfortunately. I'd like for my friend to be wrong, but the fact that discussion has turned to Steele supports what he has told me. The fans, the administration, the schedule, and the rivalry dependency isn't that attractive.

I have live footage of us approaching and offering Cristobal and his response (we tried to be sneaky and wear red hoping people wouldn't know it was us):

Fair assessment and could be possible. However, I do think we've been very patient with Gus; we've given the guy every chance in the world and he got paid a hefty salary in the process. with a lot of the other points, Saban could've made a lot of the same arguments when he chose to come to Bama. I guess we'll just have to see.

Archived