when do you see the virus peaking

KnightTiger

21 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Also ignorant ass behavior like people going to the beach this weekend instead of staying home.  People gathering like that encourages the spread and thus puts a strain on the medical system.

Bingo Brad. Knew that nothing would be positive about spring break, crowded beaches, ski resorts, travel, and multiple people bunking together. Two physicians I am acquainted with expressed grave concerns about this thing early on. We left the coast two weeks ago and are opting to weather this in Auburn. Know several others from various locales that have the option doing the same. Scary quiet here while spring is normally wide open as you well know.

Not real optimistic about things returning to any resemblance of normalcy soon. Our best scenario short term is worded well by you...strain relief on the system.     

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Bingo Brad. Knew that nothing would be positive about spring break, crowded beaches, ski resorts, travel, and multiple people bunking together. Two physicians I am acquainted with expressed grave concerns about this thing early on. We left the coast two weeks ago and are opting to weather this in Auburn. Know several others from various locales that have the option doing the same. Scary quiet here while spring is normally wide open as you well know.

Not real optimistic about things returning to any resemblance of normalcy soon. Our best scenario short term is worded well by you...strain relief on the system.     

I canceled our first vacation in two years the other day.  Glad I did because we just got a notice from the hotel that the town, a small place in on the Oregon coast, is completely shutting down for a month.  It sucks, but it's a small sacrifice to keep ourselves and other people out of harms way.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

I canceled our first vacation in two years the other day.  Glad I did because we just got a notice from the hotel that the town, a small place in on the Oregon coast, is completely shutting down for a month.  It sucks, but it's a small sacrifice to keep ourselves and other people out of harms way.

A lot of that happening Brad and hate it for you. We have a big trip planned for May,  looking doubtful today. Not real crazy about getting in virus tube at 33000 feet any time soon. How are you handling your travel requirements? Maybe someone will start a thread on how all is handling personal situations. Be interesting to read.

53 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

A lot of that happening Brad and hate it for you. We have a big trip planned for May,  looking doubtful today. Not real crazy about getting in virus tube at 33000 feet any time soon. How are you handling your travel requirements? Maybe someone will start a thread on how all is handling personal situations. Be interesting to read.

Work travel is on hold for now.  Ownership has put in a temporary travel ban.  I was actually supposed to be in NYC all week right now, but dodged that bullet.  Not scheduled for work travel again until the first week of May now.

I do have another mini-vacation trip planned for Memorial Day weekend in Vegas.  We'll see if that gets cancelled or not.  Holding out hope right now, but I'm not optimistic.  On the bright side, if we can go, I was able to rebook our flights for a huge discount!

6 reasons to be skeptical of Trump’s calls to reopen the economy

Trump wants to send Americans back to work in a matter of weeks, despite efforts to curb the spread of coronavirus.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/24/21191557/trump-coronavirus-economy-reopen-social-distance

22 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Work travel is on hold for now.  Ownership has put in a temporary travel ban.  I was actually supposed to be in NYC all week right now, but dodged that bullet.  Not scheduled for work travel again until the first week of May now.

I do have another mini-vacation trip planned for Memorial Day weekend in Vegas.  We'll see if that gets cancelled or not.  Holding out hope right now, but I'm not optimistic.  On the bright side, if we can go, I was able to rebook our flights for a huge discount!

Apparently Louisiana has fastest growth rate per capita in the world. My office staying open as some of what we do qualifies as "essential", but we're fog-bombing every night to sanitize. 

1 minute ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Apparently Louisiana has fastest growth rate per capita in the world. 

My sister's family is in the Shreveport area. She mentioned that to me yesterday. I found that strange and wondered why LA is spreading so quickly

Just now, bigbird said:

My sister's family is in the Shreveport area. She mentioned that to me yesterday. I found that strange and wondered why LA is spreading so quickly

Gotta be all the nutria.

4 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Apparently Louisiana has fastest growth rate per capita in the world. My office staying open as some of what we do qualifies as "essential", but we're fog-bombing every night to sanitize. 

Stay safe my man.

Just now, bigbird said:

Mardi Gras (1.2 million people cramped in the city). The first cases started popping up two weeks later. 

2 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Mardi Gras (1.2 million people cramped in the city). The first cases started popping up two weeks later. 

I had forgotten about Mardi gras.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

I had forgotten about Mardi gras.

And it’s not just New Orleans, as every parish celebrates Mardi Gras in it’s own way.

On 3/23/2020 at 11:29 AM, McLoofus said:

Exactly. Primarily the latter. I understand the inclination to make sure you and yours are taken care of. So the former at least involves logic, if extremely selfish and ignorant. And potentially very harmful to your neighbor. If people would just pay attention to Italy, then they would know that even now they can still go to the grocery store and find essentials.

But the latter... yeah.... to hell with those people. We've closed the beaches for 60 days in Hilton Head... sorta. Private entrances are still open, which means that some of the resort communities are still accepting visitors and those visitors are still hitting the beaches. However, there are limits to group size and citations are being issued (or so we hear). 

When is the 60 days up? We're supposed to visit in early May. Right now I don't have plans to cancel, but watching closely. Hoping we can still visit while practicing social distancing - visiting the beach during the day and staying in our rental at all other times. 

27 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

When is the 60 days up? We're supposed to visit in early May. Right now I don't have plans to cancel, but watching closely. Hoping we can still visit while practicing social distancing - visiting the beach during the day and staying in our rental at all other times. 

Depending on where you're staying, you might be okay. Contact your rental property and see if they have private beach access. The order is in place until mid-May- just announced 4 days ago- but there's a good chance you'll still be able to get on the beach as long as you don't congregate in a group. The bigger downside is probably all the restaurants being takeout only. Groceries are hit or miss. Fortunately the fish mongers are all still open. 

Whatever your rental says, double check it against Reddit (r/hiltonhead/) and feel free to run it by me. McWifey attends all town meetings (public and gov only). Some of the property owners are scared and not wanting to accommodate cancellations. 

And keep in mind that 60% of the island qualifies as vulnerable. So people are feeling a bit weird right now. The beach order and some other things are in place to dissuade tourists from coming en masse, but there's nothing officially prohibiting visitors. They're not even screening people getting off planes, and our airport is *tiny*. People are signing petitions to prohibit any tourism for the short term. 

I can't put a percentage on it. But there's a good chance that if all you want to do is truly get away from it all on a beautiful beach with your beautiful girls, then it might be perfect timing. If you're wanting to do the full beach trip experience with fruity cocktails at the tiki bar and a big seafood dinner at a restaurant with a view and dolphin tours, the island might not be out of the weeds in time.

And, sorry. I meant to PM you about your trip. Just to have the conversation we're having now.

But hopefully this is valuable for anyone who has any vacation planned later this spring, just in terms of things to consider. 

EDIT: And my POA just sent out a notice responding to concerns about out of state car tags. Tourism is of course way down, but what we're getting instead is all of the owners of the rental properties coming down to stay at their properties. 

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Depending on where you're staying, you might be okay. Contact your rental property and see if they have private beach access. The order is in place until mid-May- just announced 4 days ago- but there's a good chance you'll still be able to get on the beach as long as you don't congregate in a group. The bigger downside is probably all the restaurants being takeout only. Groceries are hit or miss. Fortunately the fish mongers are all still open. 

Whatever your rental says, double check it against Reddit (r/hiltonhead/) and feel free to run it by me. McWifey attends all town meetings (public and gov only). Some of the property owners are scared and not wanting to accommodate cancellations. 

And keep in mind that 60% of the island qualifies as vulnerable. So people are feeling a bit weird right now. The beach order and some other things are in place to dissuade tourists from coming en masse, but there's nothing officially prohibiting visitors. They're not even screening people getting off planes, and our airport is *tiny*. People are signing petitions to prohibit any tourism for the short term. 

I can't put a percentage on it. But there's a good chance that if all you want to do is truly get away from it all on a beautiful beach with your beautiful girls, then it might be perfect timing. If you're wanting to do the full beach trip experience with fruity cocktails at the tiki bar and a big seafood dinner at a restaurant with a view and dolphin tours, the island might not be out of the weeds in time.

And, sorry. I meant to PM you about your trip. Just to have the conversation we're having now.

But hopefully this is valuable for anyone who has any vacation planned later this spring, just in terms of things to consider. 

EDIT: And my POA just sent out a notice responding to concerns about out of state car tags. Tourism is of course way down, but what we're getting instead is all of the owners of the rental properties coming down to stay at their properties. 

The rental is in Sea Pines, so I assume we have private access. I spoke to the rental company about 1.5 weeks ago and they had not changed any policies regarding cancellations. We're driving and were only planning on eating out once or twice originally, so staying in won't really be a bummer. It was originally planned as a typical island trip, but I think we're all happy to stay in - the house has a big kitchen and a pool. 

So, in total there will be 10 of us, including three young ones. Basically my wife's family. 

Curious to know whether we would be ticketed on the beach. That would certainly be a deterrent. 

Obviously, there are a myriad of concerns that we are considering, but at this point not willing to cancel in hopes that the situation will begin to improve by May. Subject to change.

Rental company is "The Vacation Company" fwiw. 

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

The rental is in Sea Pines, so I assume we have private access. I spoke to the rental company about 1.5 weeks ago and they had not changed any policies regarding cancellations. We're driving and were only planning on eating out once or twice originally, so staying in won't really be a bummer. It was originally planned as a typical island trip, but I think we're all happy to stay in - the house has a big kitchen and a pool. 

So, in total there will be 10 of us, including three young ones. Basically my wife's family. 

Curious to know whether we would be ticketed on the beach. That would certainly be a deterrent. 

Obviously, there are a myriad of concerns that we are considering, but at this point not willing to cancel in hopes that the situation will begin to improve by May. Subject to change.

Rental company is "The Vacation Company" fwiw. 

As long as you're prepared for the whole closed or semi-closed businesses thing, I think y'all will be fine. If there are 10 of you congregated on the beach, then there is a chance you will be approached. But I'd be surprised if you got a ticket. Like I told somebody else recently, HHI has rules and then it has "rules". I think the latter will apply here. They're trying to keep the island safe. They're not trying to piss people off and lose repeat customers.

Yep, Sea Pines has beach access.

And hell yeah. Pick up some fish and take advantage of that kitchen. I panic bought 4 lbs of local seafood for the freezer when this all started. So far we've already eaten the mahi and swordfish. I don't know what we'll do when the shrimp and flounder are gone.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

As long as you're prepared for the whole closed or semi-closed businesses thing, I think y'all will be fine. If there are 10 of you congregated on the beach, then there is a chance you will be approached. But I'd be surprised if you got a ticket. Like I told somebody else recently, HHI has rules and then it has "rules". I think the latter will apply here. They're trying to keep the island safe. They're not trying to piss people off and lose repeat customers.

Yep, Sea Pines has beach access.

And hell yeah. Pick up some fish and take advantage of that kitchen. I panic bought 4 lbs of local seafood for the freezer when this all started. So far we've already eaten the mahi and swordfish. I don't know what we'll do when the shrimp and flounder are gone.

Fresh seafood is so hard to beat. Almost as much as the unique beauty of the low country and intertidal waterways, it's my favorite part about visiting. 

Luckily, I think I've just about perfected CQ's Salmon, so I can recreate it for ourselves. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

Fresh seafood is so hard to beat. Almost as much as the unique beauty of the low country and intertidal waterways, it's my favorite part about visiting. 

Luckily, I think I've just about perfected CQ's Salmon, so I can recreate it for ourselves. 

I still have lots of issues with living here. I still deeply miss Atlanta. But 3 years in, I still don't take the seafood for granted. Every single time, it's like hell yeah, this is a real thing that we get to do a lot. 

Soft shell crab season just hit. 

I believe you've shared a photo of that salmon in the past. Dayum. Yeah, y'all will be fine. 

NPR had a great interview with Fauci this morning- I think we might start seeing less coverage of Trump's 6:00 PM state media campaign speeches and more direct-to-the-source coverage from outlets not named Fox- and it was comforting. Regarding the Easter timeline, Fauci said that Trump really just meant that as an aspirational goal, and isn't wed to it. Just wanted to give people hope, that kind of thing. Makes sense that a carnival barking game show host whose greatest contribution to mainstream culture was once telling people they were fired in a cartoonishly cruel voice might not be the best at comforting most Americans in a time like this, even if it's his intent. 

On 3/22/2020 at 5:59 PM, KnightTiger said:

All the teens flocking to the beach for spring break set us back! 8 weeks sounds right along with the April/ May timelin im.hoping a slight chance before Easter. But probably a week or two before memorial day is most likely IMO

In a month from 1st case in county we had only went from 1 to 2.

A week after spring break we got 14 confirmed, all from our local university. All had traveled for spring break to party.

Gen Z AKA the tide pod eaters have struck again :lol: 

Archived