Matt Taibbi: The American Press Is Destroying Itself

TitanTiger

It feels liberating to say after years of tiptoeing around the fact, but the American left has lost its mind. It’s become a cowardly mob of upper-class social media addicts, Twitter Robespierres who move from discipline to discipline torching reputations and jobs with breathtaking casualness.

The leaders of this new movement are replacing traditional liberal beliefs about tolerance, free inquiry, and even racial harmony with ideas so toxic and unattractive that they eschew debate, moving straight to shaming, threats, and intimidation. They are counting on the guilt-ridden, self-flagellating nature of traditional American progressives, who will not stand up for themselves, and will walk to the Razor voluntarily.

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/the-news-media-is-destroying-itself

If Taibbi is calling his own out like this, you know it's gotten bad.

56 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Taibbi is a blithering idiot that has been rambling on in this vein for the better part of five years.

You don't engage David as much as I do apparently lol. 

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

Taibbi is a blithering idiot that has been rambling on in this vein for the better part of five years.

Blind Man GIFs | Tenor

Ray Charles aint the only blind man i can name...of all the ways I am screwed up, at least I aint you Brother...

9 hours ago, AUDub said:

No, I don't.  I just knew him from his articles at Rolling Stone and that he was solidly on the left.

That said, is he wrong?  The example he cites, I'm struggling to defend many if any of them.  

Comes across as over-the-top, cherry picking, reactionism.

Both sides of the political spectrum have issues with insanity at the extremes of thought.  I don't see liberalism - or conservatism for that matter - generally changing in any meaningful way. 

On 6/13/2020 at 8:30 AM, TitanTiger said:

No, I don't.  I just knew him from his articles at Rolling Stone and that he was solidly on the left.

That said, is he wrong?  The example he cites, I'm struggling to defend many if any of them.  

It's like Homer said, Taibbi is cherry picking. Of course he's going to pick the worst examples. 

6 hours ago, AUDub said:

It's like Homer said, Taibbi is cherry picking. Of course he's going to pick the worst examples. 

I don't know.  His reaction to it reminds me of how I feel with conservatives.  

People here bitch that I seem to harp more on the problems with conservatism right now.  But that's because I more or less grew up being taught and expecting the Left to behave this way - to use or excuse any means to get to their ends.  I was taught that Republicans and conservatives were a cut above that sort of thing.  Sure there'd be the occasional bad apple or lapse in judgment, but at their core conservatives (and especially evangelicals involved in politics) were standing for what's morally right, doing it for the right reasons, love America, etc. etc. etc.  Liberals might wink at a sexual predator like Clinton, but we wouldn't.  We would see him as unfit to lead.  The Left might lie and slant news coverage to push an agenda, but we won't.  We're truth tellers.

So when my tribe acts in all the same ways that they've spent the last 30 years lambasting liberals for, it bothers me a whole lot more.  I don't really care what the other side does; I expect more from mine.  So those are the things that stand out to me.  I imagine Taibbi is experiencing something similar for his "tribe."  He thought it was one thing and he's seeing them change and do or support things they always accused the Right of and it angers and upsets him.

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't know.  His reaction to it reminds me of how I feel with conservatives.  

People here bitch that I seem to harp more on the problems with conservatism right now.  But that's because I more or less grew up being taught and expecting the Left to behave this way - to use or excuse any means to get to their ends.  I was taught that Republicans and conservatives were a cut above that sort of thing.  Sure there'd be the occasional bad apple or lapse in judgment, but at their core conservatives (and especially evangelicals involved in politics) were standing for what's morally right, doing it for the right reasons, love America, etc. etc. etc.  Liberals might wink at a sexual predator like Clinton, but we wouldn't.  We would see him as unfit to lead.  The Left might lie and slant news coverage to push an agenda, but we won't.  We're truth tellers.

So when my tribe acts in all the same ways that they've spent the last 30 years lambasting liberals for, it bothers me a whole lot more.  I don't really care what the other side does; I expect more from mine.  So those are the things that stand out to me.  I imagine Taibbi is experiencing something similar for his "tribe."  He thought it was one thing and he's seeing them change and do or support things they always accused the Right of and it angers and upsets him.

Careful Titan, you sound like you are starting to flirt with nihilism. ;)

Obviously, both parties have the capability of jumping off the path of justice.  Regardless of party, politicians are politicians.  I think you just have to consider every issue/policy independently from both a practical and moral standpoint and try to avoid the tribalism. 

On 6/12/2020 at 10:16 PM, TitanTiger said:

There are elements of truth to it, but he always goes way over the top to draw notice— kind of hypocritical that way.

i think we can agree there are serious problems on both sides of the aisle. we need to get back to news instead of click bait and force folks to tell the truth and not partials or outright lies. we also need to make opinion pieces have a disclaimer stating this is not a legit news site but an opinion piece. even then it might not work.

7 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i think we can agree there are serious problems on both sides of the aisle. we need to get back to news instead of click bait and force folks to tell the truth and not partials or outright lies. we also need to make opinion pieces have a disclaimer stating this is not a legit news site but an opinion piece. even then it might not work.

No it won't. Just take homey for example, he'll take an opinion piece and link/cite other opinion pieces and call them facts. So disingenuous it's actually pathetic. 

For the record, I like Taibbi. Some can't handle the truth. Word

On 6/12/2020 at 10:16 PM, TitanTiger said:

82A1A134-0D3D-4496-A563-FD50DEE97DCC.jpeg
This seems eerily familiar to what’s happening today!

Archived