Softball 2021 Preseason Stuff

Here is a link to the college softball forum I referred to:  http://robocoach.websitetoolbox.com/?forum=10114

I give fair warning that there are a number of jackasses and knowitalls on this forum.  One can find useful information, howeer.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Email from AU ticket office January 7, 2921:

With the 2021 softball season quickly approaching, we wanted to inform you of where we currently stand regarding season ticket renewals and fan attendance.

As we continue to navigate through the COVID-19 pandemic, we are anticipating a reduced capacity at Jane B. Moore Field for the 2021 softball season. Due to the reduced capacity and limited number of seats, we do not anticipate being able to offer full season tickets for the 2021 season. We will continue to work with the SEC, state and University officials and health care experts to determine the protocol that will be in place this season. We will be in touch in the near future once we have solidified information on capacity and fan attendance.

2 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Email from AU ticket office January 7, 2921:

With the 2021 softball season quickly approaching, we wanted to inform you of where we currently stand regarding season ticket renewals and fan attendance.

As we continue to navigate through the COVID-19 pandemic, we are anticipating a reduced capacity at Jane B. Moore Field for the 2021 softball season. Due to the reduced capacity and limited number of seats, we do not anticipate being able to offer full season tickets for the 2021 season. We will continue to work with the SEC, state and University officials and health care experts to determine the protocol that will be in place this season. We will be in touch in the near future once we have solidified information on capacity and fan attendance.

It's very sad that this virus is having such a negative effect on our lives. I'd hoped that by the time for Spring sports, enough vaccinations would have bee administered to get us back on track.

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It's very sad that this virus is having such a negative effect on our lives. I'd hoped that by the time for Spring sports, enough vaccinations would have bee administered to get us back on track.

I suppose they are moving forward with the current rules in place and could expand attendance if the situation improves.  To me, the capacity limitations seem a bit strict.

This was posted by someone on the robocoach forum that Whiskey referenced above.  Appears Boise State  will play some early season tournaments in Georgia and Lousiana, an indication some teams/conferences willing to travel beyond their home territory.  Will take it as a positive sign.

Boise State released their schedule yesterday. 46 games with them traveling to both Georgia and Louisiana.

Boise State Releases 2021 Softball Schedule - Boise State University Athletics (broncosports.com)

Ready for the season. I think we could have a great season with a chance to do something special in postseason.  Especially if our pitching holds up like it should.  That's going to be a nasty rotation for others to deal with. 

The pandemic picked the perfect year to come through from a softball sense.  We canceled the down year and gave Dean another year to build his squad. 

The ROBO coach website has some schedules from each conference.  Some conferences have many teams with posted schedules while others , including SEC, do not show any teams with posted schedules.

http://robocoach.websitetoolbox.com/post/2021-schedules-11355475

In looking around I see AU scheduled to play Alabama State on 3/17 at AU.  UAB has posted a schedule except for their early season tournament.  Unless we play in that tournament we would not play them which is a bit of a surprise considering the proximity.  Don't know if it has anything to do with some of our former players and coaching staff being associated with the program???  Scott Woodard is an assistant coach while Hunter and Kendall Veach are in more or less volunteer roles on the program. UAB has a home and home with BAMA and also scheduled to play in a tournament against Georgia Bulldogs. 

They also still have KK Crocker and Jenna Olszewski; but I really don't see that as an impediment.  More likely related to their new head coach or the general Covid chaos.

Two AU players Softball America top 100 for 2021

Yarbrough, Horton tabbed Softball America’s 2021 Preseason Top 100 - Auburn University Athletics (auburntigers.com)

Also, there a couple of brief videos of practice on AU athletics softball twitter page.  One on field and the other at indoor facility.  

1 hour ago, slot canyon said:

Two AU players Softball America top 100 for 2021

Yarbrough, Horton tabbed Softball America’s 2021 Preseason Top 100 - Auburn University Athletics (auburntigers.com)

Also, there a couple of brief videos of practice on AU athletics softball twitter page.  One on field and the other at indoor facility.  

Interesting to see Rivera not on the list. After her early season woes, she came on really strong both from a power and average perspective.

Dowell also had a good season at the plate. Hopefully she can improve her fielding, which is what she is known for.

Any predictions are starters or rotation? 

I would not give too much weight to Softball America's list, as those things are typically hastily researched and like betting odds in the newspaper, "purely for entertainment purposes".  This is in no way intended to diminish the achievements of Ms. Horton or Ms. Yarbrough, both of whom I hold in high esteem.  

I'm largely guessing without any fall games as a guide, but I think Tissier starts behind the plate, with Godwyn as a close second.  That could flip depending on performance at the plate; and we also have Haley Nillen, whom CMD apparently sees high potential in.  I think Perry starts at first, with McCondichie at second.  Short and third to be covered by Dowell and Denver Bryant, with Tannon recovering from her injury (Any update on that?).  Lindsey Garcia or Koeppke would be next woman up.

In the outfield we have a wealth of talent, but Rivera and Horton have earned their spurs in this league, and will start in right and center.  That leaves left to be contested among Maresette, Tyler King, and newcomers Geraghty and Schmidt, in my view.   And we also have the highly touted Reena Falisi.  Dean has good problems with the outfield.  Looking forward to the first game.

Agree Rivera and Horton will be game 1 starters. If I was a betting man I would say Schmidt will be the other starter. She has a great bat and very good power. Looking forward to watching them play!

1 hour ago, 99TGR said:

Agree Rivera and Horton will be game 1 starters. If I was a betting man I would say Schmidt will be the other starter. She has a great bat and very good power. Looking forward to watching them play!

I think Geraghty might be in the running here too. She was our second highest rated recruit in that class.

14 minutes ago, auburnfan247 said:

Softball America came out with a top-25 freshman for this year list. I’d imagine we have some on there, do we have any? 

The Auburn Softball account posted yesterday that Maddie Penta was number 9 on the list. 

The list includes both incoming freshman and freshman from last year who will receive an extra year of eligibility. 

Here is the link from the AU Softball site: 

AUBURN, Ala. – Making waves ahead of her collegiate debut, Auburn softball newcomer Maddie Penta was named one of Softball America's Top 25 College Freshmen this week. 

The publication ranked both true freshmen as well as student-athletes that held on to their freshman classification due to COVID-19 pandemic shortening the 2020 season.

Penta, a right-handed pitcher, was ranked No. 9 overall by Softball America. Accounting for just true freshmen, Penta was tabbed fourth.

The Chesapeake City, Md., native joins Auburn's rotation after being ranked the No. 2 overall recruit of the 2020 class by FloSoftball. She led Bohemia Manor to three straight state championships and is a two-time Maryland Gatorade Player of the Year.

A 2019 USA Today High School All-American, Penta was lights out in the circle for Bohemia Manor. Penta concluded her prep career with a 49-1 record, a 0.07 earned run average and 762 strikeouts in only 321 innings pitched.

Just as much of a threat at the plate, Penta slugged 18 home runs over her final two seasons of prep softball.

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Due to the rotation, we don't play:  Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Miss. St.

You meant Florida instead of Tennessee, which is even better. 

Archived