Auburn Flashback - Bo Jackson's last TD as an Auburn Tiger

StatTiger

On January 1, 1986, Bo Jackson played his last game as an Auburn Tiger against Texas A&M in the Cotton Bowl. The Aggies defeated Auburn 36-16, marking a sad day for Auburn fans. The loss was disappointing, but the game also marked the ending of an era of Bo Jackson.  He was a once in a lifetime talent that allowed Auburn to beat anyone in the country.  Jackson delivered a solid performance, racking up 202-yards of total offense and two touchdowns.

This Auburn Flashback is a look back at his last touchdown as an Auburn Tiger, a 73-yard screen pass. Bo Jackson added an additional 129-yards rushing against the Aggies and a rushing touchdown. His performance wasn’t close enough to keep the game close, but he departed the Auburn football program with a strong performance. He would end up being the first selection in the 1986 NFL Draft, though he did not sign with the Tampa Bat Buccaneers.

His last touchdown as an Auburn Tiger was just one of 51 he scored during his Auburn career. Including bowl games, Bo Jackson totaled 4712-yards of total offense. Auburn went 19-4-0 when Jackson surpassed 100-yards rushing during a game. Though it has been nearly 35 years since Bo Jackson played football at Auburn, he is still considered the greatest football player to suit up for the Tigers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 2

if i have this correct the bucs owner cost bo his eligibility for his senior season and he said he would never play for them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

if i have this correct the bucs owner cost bo his eligibility for his senior season and he said he would never play for them.

Cost Bo his senior season in baseball.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, im4aual said:

Gee, thanks for reminding me of that miserable game.  

I’m sure you will survive

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, StatTiger said:

I’m sure you will survive

Made it through seven cancer surgeries and a round of radiation, so you're right - a bad game memory probably won't do me in.(Looks like surgery number eight in a couple of weeks, not going to let it get me either.)

• Love 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, im4aual said:

Made it through seven cancer surgeries and a round of radiation, so you're right - a bad game memory probably won't do me in.(Looks like surgery number eight in a couple of weeks, not going to let it get me either.)

The hell are you made out of?!?!

Best wishes for success and speedy recovery. Please let us know how it goes.

7 hours ago, kingfish said:

I was there. It was a tough game to lose. 

Yep... Coach Dye made some major staff changes after that game. 

On 6/24/2020 at 10:27 AM, StatTiger said:

The Aggies defeated Auburn 36-16, marking a sad day for Auburn fans.

Yep, if I recall a cold but beautiful day. Learned to dislike Sherrill even more. Scored needlessly as time was running out.

22 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Yep, if I recall a cold but beautiful day. Learned to dislike Sherrill even more. Scored needlessly as time was running out.

Sherrill was likely getting payback for being passed over for the Auburn job in 1981.

So many times I watch a re-run of Bo at Auburn and think "Nobody should be able to do that."

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Thankful he was an Auburn Tiger and also that he played in a time that guys played for 4 years. 

On 6/25/2020 at 8:43 AM, aubiefifty said:

Huh? He was a senior in 1985.

Edited by AUwent

9 hours ago, AUwent said:

Huh? He was a senior in 1985.

someone above did a correction. it was his senior baseball season he could not play. and i did not say it for certain. i know i am right on part of it because i still remember the anger all these years later in some show or series he did.look at grumps post on this thread.

On 6/26/2020 at 8:22 PM, StatTiger said:

Sherrill was likely getting payback for being passed over for the Auburn job in 1981.

I've heard Sherrill speak on this topic a couple of times. Dye was Sherrill's position coach when they were both at bammer, and Sherrill hated Dye, and probably still did up to the moment that Dye passed. Sherrill also thought Dye was stupid. Back then, the bammer players would have homework where they'd have to write and draw up their assignments for the week's game plan, and turn it in to their position coach. Sherrill would intentionally do his incorrectly, and said Dye couldn't tell the difference.

Edited by API
correct typos

i disliked sherry baby once he brought that steer into the stadium and had its testicles removed. and i believe he was apretty big cheater as well.

Silver lining ... since A&M joined the SEC, Auburn is 5-3 against the Aggies, including a 4-0 record at Kyle Field.  The Tigers are currently on a 3-game winning streak.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 10:10 AM, aubiefifty said:

i disliked sherry baby once he brought that steer into the stadium and had its testicles removed. and i believe he was apretty big cheater as well.

Fiddy, one can not bring a "steer" into a stadium and remove its testicles. Think about it.

15 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Fiddy, one can not bring a "steer" into a stadium and remove its testicles. Think about it.

he did it. it might have been a practice field but he did it for a fact.

is male cow good enough for ya saltster? rolls eyes.................