2021 Recruiting Board (Finished 5/19/21)

Zeek

Not sure we need to fill all 6 or 7 remaining spots in this class unless they can definitely help us.  I know there will be attrition this year and will have a lot of Seniors but we do need to be able to sign a full slate of 25 in the '22 class without processing if possible. CBH seems to be a very intelligent guy so I'm sure he is processing all of this. No doubt AU football is entering a huge rebuilding period. I prefer to focus on supporting this program rather than blaming and bashing CGM like about half of the posts on this forum.  WDE

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, autan said:

Not sure we need to fill all 6 or 7 remaining spots in this class unless they can definitely help us.  I know there will be attrition this year and will have a lot of Seniors but we do need to be able to sign a full slate of 25 in the '22 class without processing if possible. CBH seems to be a very intelligent guy so I'm sure he is processing all of this.

@autan It will be 4 spots left whenever we get Brooks & a supposed silent flip. We still have pressing needs at RB, 2 OL, LB, & CB if we find transfers we think would be quality additions at those positions.

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@autan It will be 4 spots left whenever we get Brooks & a supposed silent flip. We still have pressing needs at RB, 2 OL, LB, & CB if we find transfers we think would be quality additions at those positions.

As you said if we find QUALITY players. We need players that can play next years as starters or solid backups so that means either GT's or players like from Tenn. who should have immediate eligibility. I hope we find them but if at the end of the day we don't find the type of quality player who can help next year I would be fine with saving a scholarship or three and using in next years class. 

Assuming we have spring practice the coaches will get to see the current players how they are developing and might feel that some of the perceived needs are covered by current players or they might feel that transfer portal is even more important. It works out well that so many in transfer portal become available after spring as that is when the coaches will have a better understanding of what our exact needs are.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I hope we get a RB5 and 2 OL at least and hopefully the flip fills one of the needs so we can fill all 5 you have listed that Harsin has targeted.

39 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I think we'll be fine @ RB, LB, and CB.  We need the OL competition/upgrade and the depth at QB, although Loy returning helps a lot for this year.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think we'll be fine @ RB, LB, and CB.  We need the OL competition/upgrade and the depth at QB, although Loy returning helps a lot for this year.

What’s your thoughts on LB’s? I see us benefiting from adding a quality grad transfer to that group. Especially if we run a true 3-4, I have seen 3-3-5 mentioned also.

I would also love for a true NT to enter the portal, but could be hard to find one. 

My point being if either of those are available I would take just one. 

24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think we'll be fine @ RB, LB, and CB.

On LBs aren't we going from a 4-2-5 to a 3-3-5 or a 3-4 & thus going to need another veteran LB? We only have 7 total on roster now.

On CBs from what I've read our staff sees a lot of our DBs as Safeties so we likely need another CB I would think? Although 15 DBs is a lot to work with so maybe we can find someone on our own roster we can use for 4 & 5 WR sets.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

On LBs aren't we going from a 4-2-5 to a 3-3-5 or a 3-4 & thus going to need another veteran LB? We only have 7 total on roster now.

On CBs from what I've read our staff sees a lot of our DBs as Safeties so we likely need another CB I would think? Although 15 DBs is a lot to work with so maybe we can find someone on our own roster we can use for 4 & 5 WR sets.

Where do you see our guys currently on the roster playing as far as ILB/OLB. On paper I’m guessing:

ILB - Pappoe, McClain, Wooten, Steiner Tisdol, Moultry, Brown

OLB/Stud/Edge - Hall, Leota, height, Johnson 

OLB- Riley, Willis

It depends how Mason wants to use our personnel a 3-4 look with one OLB playing more Of a 5” or a true 3-4 where both OLB play a 5” depending on offensive formation. 

if we play a true 3-4 don’t you think a few inside guys have to learn to be OLB’s?

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Next year, at LB, we can replace not rebuild. We need HS LBs to be growing through the system, learning behind these guys.  I'd expect a larger then normal LB class next year.

As far as DB goes, I really don't know what's going on or what to expect.  I've thought many have been playing out of position and quite a few that showed they could contribute on the field that just disappeared. 

I'm excited to see the reshuffling back there. There's going to be a lot of work having to be done to teach/reteach the zones concepts that Mason prefers. I'm interested to see which can make the transition from man corners to zone corners.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I agree.  We have some holes in numbers but other holes may be in fit, so some players on the roster may be used in different roles than they had before.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AUgrad2013 said:

Where do you see our guys currently on the roster playing as far as ILB/OLB.

I have no clue. I just let the coaches sort that stuff out & just post what I read or hear. For example, I don't know what playing the 5 means.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

If we land Brooks, that will give us 5 DL in this class. Any chance one of them will be converted to the OL?

• Angry 1

40 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I have no clue. I just let the coaches sort that stuff out & just post what I read or hear. For example, I don't know what playing the 5 means.

Gotcha. We have several LB”s that are too small to play at the line of scrimmage. That could be with their hand down like a DE or in a two point stance like our guys have done in the past. 

I love Zacoby McClain, dude is a tacking machine. I don’t think we want him lined up where TEs and OTs are responsible for moving him off the line of scrimmage. We have several guys like this 

As of today, we have 5 DB's signed in this class. I would think that's sufficient unless some previously unidentified super-duper DB wants to come to AU.

In reality, the pool of available talent at all positions has shrunk. Two signing periods and some previous portal announcements will do that.

Should we stop at Brooks, that would leave 5 early enrolees to add to next year's limit of 25. I think our current staff would get better prospects next year with numbers 26 through 30 than they can find this year with numbers 21 through 25.

We have a lot of talented returning players. I don't see the necessity of adding warm bodies for the sake of warm bodies. A truly talented guy with solid vetting could help in some positions, but how many of them will be out there? If we can't find players that will help, then save the slot.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

39 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

If we land Brooks, that will give us 5 DL in this class. Any chance one of them will be converted to the OL?

I don't think we are that desperate at the O-line positions, assuming full recovery by the players injured last season. At OT we'll have Hamm, Jackson, Council(swing between tackle and guard, can play either), Troxell, Zierer and Coffee returning, plus the signee. Interior linemen are too numerous to mention. The D-line may be in more need of immediate help.

Edited by Mikey

42 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

@PUB78Brooks would be 6. Hunter, Robinson Mathews, Okoli, & Leota. Haven't heard talk of any DL moving ro OL.

1 hour ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

So um... the flip?

Seems like every year something gets our hope up for a flip or surprise or “earth shattering news”, and every year we come away disappointed it didn’t happen. I can’t even remember or may not have ever known the original “earth shattering news”  on this site several years ago

1 hour ago, Jgarrett7 said:

I can’t even remember or may not have ever known the original “earth shattering news”  on this site several years ago

It was a 5 star Bama commit at RB that was about to sign with us because Bama tried to greyshirt him or something due to space in class, but they "made room"for him at last minute when they got word he was going to sign and enroll at Auburn that week if they did that.  I believe that was the story.  Can't remember the name though.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

It was a 5 star Bama commit at RB that was about to sign with us because Bama tried to greyshirt him or something due to space in class, but they "made room"for him at last minute when they got word he was going to sign and enroll at Auburn that week if they did that.  I believe that was the story.  Can't remember the name though.  

Brent Calloway?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Pretty sure it was Cyrus Kouandjio

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Pretty sure it was Cyrus Kouandjio

We had a few "Earth Shattering" moments lol. 

D Hart in the same class.  I guess we were desperate for good news that year haha. 

Edited by AUBwins