2021 Recruiting Board (Finished 5/19/21)

Zeek

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Brent Calloway?

No, wasn't him.  I was thinking of Demetrius Hart. He was actually a 4 star but in the same class as Kouandjio mentioned by Fred

• Like 1

Don't understand why so secret about the pending flip. NSD is over. Maybe it could be a UT player who is waiting to see who his position coach will be or if he's retained.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, autan said:

Don't understand why so secret about the pending flip. NSD is over. Maybe it could be a UT player who is waiting to see who his position coach will be or if he's retained.

Supposedly a transfer but I don’t know if that’s true

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

@PUB78Brooks would be 6. Hunter, Robinson Mathews, Okoli, & Leota. Haven't heard talk of any DL moving ro OL.

Right. Forgot about Leota.

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

For example, I don't know what playing the 5 means.

Outside shoulder of the tackle.

image.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

With all the star gazing that goes on( including me), I thought this article may be useful for us as we evaluate this recruiting class. 

https://n.rivals.com/news/super-bowl-lv-how-chiefs-bucs-starters-ranked-in-high-school

Tons of no stars, two stars, and three stars playing for a ring tonight!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUgrad2013 said:

With all the star gazing that goes on( including me), I thought this article may be useful for us as we evaluate this recruiting class. 

https://n.rivals.com/news/super-bowl-lv-how-chiefs-bucs-starters-ranked-in-high-school

Tons of no stars, two stars, and three stars playing for a ring tonight!

You win Post of the Week!!

46 minutes ago, toddc said:

You win Post of the Week!!

Na. We know underrated guys slip through the cracks. That’s just how it goes when you have thousands of kids to evaluate each year. A good number of them will be missed by recruiting sites and coaches. But it’s also true that stars matter overall on a macro level.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Na. We know underrated guys slip through the cracks. That’s just how it goes when you have thousands of kids to evaluate each year. A good number of them will be missed by recruiting sites and coaches. But it’s also true that stars matter overall on a macro level.

That’s a pretty good % of underrated guys playing in The Super Bowl though. You’re just jealous you didn’t win Post of the Week! 😝 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/6/2021 at 9:41 AM, bigbird said:

As far as DB goes, I really don't know what's going on or what to expect.  I've thought many have been playing out of position and quite a few that showed they could contribute on the field that just disappeared. 

I'm excited to see the reshuffling back there. There's going to be a lot of work having to be done to teach/reteach the zones concepts that Mason prefers. I'm interested to see which can make the transition from man corners to zone corners.

@bigbird Is there a possibility he will use both, zone or man ? Beyond that there are the combos, ie. man on the outside and zone in the middle.

2 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

@bigbird Is there a possibility he will use both, zone or man ? Beyond that there are the combos, ie. man on the outside and zone in the middle.

Absolutely will use both. Steele rarely did

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, toddc said:

That’s a pretty good % of underrated guys playing in The Super Bowl though.

Not relative to overall percentages. 5*s only make up about .5% of  recruits each year. 4*s make up 4-5%. 3* & below make up 95-96% of recruits each year. They are going to have a high raw number of players playing in the game due to the sheer mass of how many there are. At 11% & 30% respectively 5 & 4*s make up much greater %s of starters in the game than recruits in their high school class. Hence stars matter at a macro level.

1 hour ago, toddc said:

You’re just jealous you didn’t win Post of the Week!

Na. I gladly already awarded that to @Auhud08for his short dissertation educating the masses on why we were not ever going to & didn't end the 2021 class with a big splash some were expecting.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not relative to overall percentages. 5*s only make up about .5% of  recruits each year. 4*s make up 4-5%. 3* & below make up 95-96% of recruits each year. They are going to have a high raw number of players playing in the game due to the sheer mass of how many there are. At 11% & 30% respectively 5 & 4*s make up much greater %s of starters in the game than recruits in their high school class. Hence stars matter at a macro level.

Na. I gladly already awarded that to @Auhud08for his short dissertation educating the masses on why we were not ever going to & didn't end the 2021 class with a big splash some were expecting.

You’re taking this way too seriously man. It’s just a joke and all in fun. What happened to your newfound sarcasm and joke meter today?

2 minutes ago, toddc said:

You’re taking this way too seriously man. It’s just a joke and all in fun. What happened to your newfound sarcasm and joke meter today?

Not being too serious. Just taking the opportunity to drop some knowledge so people don't buy in to common misconceptions. Sarcasm or  jokes doesn't mean someone can't drop some knowledge to help debunk misconceptions.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Especially on the college level.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Hey-yo!!!

On 2/6/2021 at 3:45 PM, bigbird said:

Outside shoulder of the tackle.

image.png

A question I've always meant to ask but never did. Who came up with this numbering system, and what happened when they got to #6? It made linear/logical sense up until that point. And, what do they have against the #8? Although I think in a split 6, the rovers were considered to be 8's? I'll hang up and listen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

A question I've always meant to ask but never did. Who came up with this numbering system, and what happened when they got to #6? It made linear/logical sense up until that point. And, what do they have against the #8? Although I think in a split 6, the rovers were considered to be 8's? I'll hang up and listen.

I honestly have no clue. Used to coach DL I should know. I do know playing a 7” is the hardest position to coach and play for a defensive lineman. Your inside guys are used to double teams and reading the guard/center block combos. Defensive ends are not as used to doubles and reading multiple guys, more used to pullers, etc.

The logical order could have been changed for that reason not sure. Not a lot of defenses use a 7”. I think of Jim Johnson(eagles) 46 defense when I think of  a 7”. 

With Brooks and hopefully Dreshun Miller we will have a pretty good Defensive class. Very strong in D-Line and DB with a solid Juco LB who has 3 years of eligibility. I think we could use 1 more LB in Transfer Portal if it is an impact type player. I am real pleased with this defensive class as we hit almost all of our needs with quality players.

On O we got the QB we wanted, a solid WR, a very good TE, a solid RB, a solid 3* OT with the frame to develop, and a solid 3* G who I think is going to be very good with a frame to add mass, and a potential Center as a PWO.  We need at a minimum at least 1 but probably 2 OT's in the Portal and maybe a QB.

Compared to where we were when they decided to let Gus go  we are much better than I expected. Hopefully because of Covid if we get any Grad transfers or immediate eligible transfers they will have two years of eligibility and will want to use both.

The other thing this staff needs to do is not lose any key pieces in the transfer Portal after Spring Practice.

I left out Dawson who I think could be a real impact player probably on O but could also be on D.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

With Brooks and hopefully Dreshun Miller we will have a pretty good Defensive class. Very strong in D-Line and DB with a solid Juco LB who has 3 years of eligibility. I think we could use 1 more LB in Transfer Portal if it is an impact type player. I am real pleased with this defensive class as we hit almost all of our needs with quality players.

On defense, Leota from Northwestern is a great pickup as well in my opinion. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

On defense, Leota from Northwestern is a great pickup as well in my opinion. 

I agree he is one of the reasons I said we recruited a great D-Line Class.

3 DT - Hunter 4*, Robinson 4*, Mathews 3*

3 DE - Brooks 4*, Okoli 3*, Leota 3*

Mathews is a big athletic DT who will be better than a 3*.

Okoli has the measurables of a much higher rating but is inexperienced so will take a while but will be real good down the road.

Leota is an experienced college player who can help immediately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Now, it would be great if Cody Brown would follow Dylan Brooks to play for Auburn.

y'all shoot me now...

tenor.gif?itemid=7492234

• Haha 4