2021 Recruiting Board (Finished 5/19/21)

Zeek

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Created by Covid. These are ladies who did not have a fall season.

These are girls we’re going after. That’s a very unique situation! 😝 

Talk about bringing in the guys now, with ladies on the team. Recruiting will go through the roof. 

Edited by toddc
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, toddc said:

These are girls we’re going after. That’s a very unique situation! 😝 

Talk about bringing in the guys now, with ladies on the team. Recruiting will go through the roof. 

Don’t you just love when you speak text and read it what you said is correct but when you hit send or submit it changes a word or two. LOL

• Haha 1

Just now, ellitor said:

Don’t you just love when you speak text and read it what you said is correct but when you hit send or submit it changes a word or two. LOL

😂 I just like hounding you my friend.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 1:12 PM, Zeek said:

Total Spots (roughly 23-25):

Signed NLI or enrolled  (15)

Dematrius Davis || 4* Dual-Threat || 5'10.5" 200 lbs. || Houston, TX

Landen King || 3* || 6'5" 220 lbs. || Humble, TX

Garner Langlo || 3* || Guard || 6'7" 270 lbs. || Ocala, FL

Colby Smith || 3* || OT || 6'7" 315 lbs. || Reidsville, NC

Hal Presley || 3* || Wide Receiver || 6'3" 190 lbs. || Arlington, TX

Lee Hunter || 4* || Defensive Tackle || 6'5" 292 lbs. || Eight Mile, AL

Marquis Robinson || 4* || Defensive Tackle || 6'3" 300 lbs. || Milton, FL

Ian Matthews || 3* || Defensive Tackle || 6'5" 290 lbs. || Columbus, GA

Tobechi Okoli || 3* || Defensive End || 6'5" 250 lbs. || Kansas City, MO

Andrew "Eku" Leota || 3* || Weakside End/Stud || 6'4" 250 lbs. || Asheville, NC: Northwestern Transfer

Ahmari Harvey || 4* || Safety || 5'10.5" 171 lbs. || Tallahassee, FL

Kamal Hadden || 3* || Corner Back || 6'2" 185 lbs. || River Rouge, MI

Armani Diamond || 3* || Corner Back || 5'11" 171 lbs. || Eight Mile,  AL

Jocko Willis || 3* || Inside Linebacker || 6'3" 215 lbs. || Independence CC, KS - JuCo

***Oscar Chapman (Aussie Punter) counts to the 2021 Recruiting Class***

Confirmed Harsin Targets:

Tar'varish Dawson || 3* || Athlete DB || 5'10" 175 lbs. || Lehigh Acres, FL

Auburn is trending in the right direction.

Trevin Wallace || 4* || Linebacker || 6'2" 225 lbs. || Jesup, GA 

One of the first phone calls coach Harsin made. Likely waiting to see who the LB coach will be. Asked Harsin whether or not TWill would stay.

Jarquez Hunter || 3* RB || 5'10" 190 lbs. || Philadelphia, MS

KN likes where we sit with him. It appears running back recruiting is going well despite being in the final hour of the 2021 recruiting class.

Jordan Moko || #1 JUCO OT || 6'5" 335 lbs. || Australia

Auburn is in a decent spot but he's currently back home so it may take some time.

Others to Watch:

Dontae Balfour || 3* || CB || 6'2" 170 lbs. || Starke, FL

Known Transfer Targets:

N/A

Added Jocko we are now up to #38 in this recruiting class with a number of spots to still fill (roughly 10 more)

On 1/29/2021 at 9:05 AM, ellitor said:

For what it’s worth, jughead, a connected poster on the bunker thinks we might add some guys to the class who will be playing spring football at the California high school level and from the Juco ranks. He thinks some solid recruits may put good film on from their spring ball.

The entire state of California is still on stay-at-home Covid mandates, at least as of yesterday.  It remains to be seen whether any sports will be played in California, for the 2020-2021 season.  I have family from Stockton to San Diego and they've been on shelter at home for the entire Covid stretch with schools 100% remote learning. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, keesler said:

The entire state of California is still on stay-at-home Covid mandates, at least as of yesterday.  It remains to be seen whether any sports will be played in California, for the 2020-2021 season.  I have family from Stockton to San Diego and they've been on shelter at home for the entire Covid stretch with schools 100% remote learning. 

Actually, we are not in state-wide lockdown. We had returned to that, but just recently were able to move back to the county-by-county tiered system based on cases in the area. I would expect high-population areas to still be in county lockdown for the foreseeable future, though, so I wouldn't get too many hopes up. https://covid19.ca.gov/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tsande07 said:

Actually, we are not in state-wide lockdown. We had returned to that, but just recently were able to move back to the county-by-county tiered system based on cases in the area. I would expect high-population areas to still be in county lockdown for the foreseeable future, though, so I wouldn't get too many hopes up. https://covid19.ca.gov/

Yeah, I will remain doubtful that any of the larger high schools will have spring football due to them being in high-population areas.  California has been hit pretty dang hard with Covid for many months.

al.com

Recruiting tips from a highly rated Auburn player

By Giana Han
8-10 minutes

This is part three of a three-part series asking highly rated recruits for the advice they would give younger athletes looking to play college football. Part one features an athlete who committed to Alabama; part two features an Alabama athlete who committed to an out of state school; and part three features an athlete who committed to Auburn.

Growing up, Wesley Steiner always planned to enter the workforce right after his high school graduation.

While he spent a lot of time playing football, which he loved, he didn’t plan to play college ball because it was too much work and wouldn’t provide for his family. But then he realized the opposite was true. If he earned a scholarship, it would pay for an education that would allow him to get a higher-paying job.

As soon as Steiner realized that, he dedicated himself to earning an offer. Steiner went about his recruitment very methodically. He observed what other high schoolers were doing and what college coaches seemed to like.

By the time Steiner committed to Auburn, he had earned offers from Alabama, LSU and Stanford. 247Sports listed him as a four-star recruit, a top-100 player in the country, top-15 player in Georgia and top-10 inside linebacker. He was Auburn’s third highest-rated recruit in a class that was No. 7 in the country.

Now, he is a linebacker who saw time on the field as a true freshman at Auburn. Before he joined the Auburn program, he shared what he learned and the methods he used. Here are Steiner’s tricks and tips for the recruitment process:

Polish your film first

Steiner did do anything until he thought his film was good enough.

“You don’t want to give it to somebody if you’re not ready,” Steiner said. “I felt like I was not ready to be offered a scholarship until I had some good film recorded.”

That means he didn’t start reaching out until after his sophomore year. Steiner had compared himself to the other players he saw at his school and in his area, which is a very competitive place (Jake Fromm went to his high school), and knew he wasn’t on their level yet. So for two years, he put in the work to get to a place where he knew his film could start to compare.

Although his sophomore season “wasn’t a stellar season, but it wasn’t a bad season,” he felt it was a good starting place and he could finally send out his film. Coaches wouldn’t “slam the door” on it, and he’d be able to talk to them and find out what more he needed to do.

“That’s all I wanted,” Steiner said. “Just look at it. Just if you looked at it, and said that’s not good enough, there are some things you should improve on. I said, Okay, that’s what I need right there.”

Seek feedback

When a school messaged Steiner to say it liked his film, Steiner wasn’t satisfied.

“If you’re going to talk to me, let’s talk business,” Steiner said.

Merely saying “We like your film” is a waste of both the school’s and the recruit’s time, Steiner said. The school should give some sort of feedback or ask for more material.

Steiner was not hesitant to ask for advice. He actively sought out coaches and asked them what they thought about his film and about his performances at camps. It gave him insight into what he needed to improve on as well as how college coaches think.

Wesley Steiner

Build your way up

Once you grab one college’s attention, you can build from there. Although the conversations with the first schools Steiner talked to didn’t “flesh out,” he used them as incentive. He said if a recruit thinks logically, he can look at a school and say “Ok, this school is interested. How can I get better?” By thinking that way, Steiner earned offers from much higher ranked schools than the first who reached out to him.

Don’t rely on mega camps

Steiner attended “a bunch” of mega camps, and he learned what to expect and not to expect from them. From his experience, the camps are more for colleges to evaluate recruits rather than offer them. The recruits that gain offers are generally the ones that “pop out” and impress so much that the college feels the need to offer them there and then. Sometimes, colleges will also offer recruits if they’ve been tracking them for a while and it’s the first time they’ve had in-person contact, Steiner observed.

So if you’re not that recruit that stands out among the best, what should you expect from those camps? Steiner said he learned it was a really good time to compare himself to the other guys at his position and see where players his age were at and what they did well.

Make yourself known

For Steiner, it wasn’t enough to let his play speak for him. He also made sure he put himself in front of the coaches off the field. At camps, he always tried to get coaches off to the side to ask them about his technique and what he needed to do better. Part of it was about the advice, but part of it was about the interaction.

“I’m asking those coaches trying to engage them because if you bug them enough times they might remember you,” Steiner said.

Once, he even walked up to a coach who was at a basketball game to recruit someone else. He introduced himself, shook his hand and said he played football.

“I’m pretty sure you’re gonna remember that kid when you’re trying to recruit another kid,” Steiner said. “It’s like, this joker walked up to me. Who was that kid who walked up to me? He told me his name.”

“This is free advice for kids who want to do that next time,” Steiner added in a whisper.

Shoot your shot (be a “bugger”)

“My Under Armour All-American status would not have happened if I was not the bugger I was,” Steiner said. He “spammed” the person in charge of the invites to the Under Armour All-American game by sending his film 30 or more times.

When Steiner first started seeing news about the invites on Twitter, he looked at the different players’ film and figured he could do as well or better. He decided to look into who was controlling the invites and decided to spam his film until they acknowledged they looked at it.

“I said, You know what? If I never try, I’ll never get the invite,” Steiner said. “If I tried and they said no, at least I had the chance.”

It worked out, and Steiner made his way down to Orlando, Fla. to compete.

Steiner got himself on ESPN’s SportsCenter by taking the same approach. After power cleaning 405 pounds, Steiner went viral. Eventually, someone joked “Should that be on Top 10?”

Steiner was like “Why not? Why not?” so he reached out and asked SportsCenter if it thought it was Top 10 worthy.

“They were like ‘Yeah, well, we’ll put it up there,’ " Steiner said.

Find your fit

“Personality is one of the most important traits of a person – your uniqueness, your individuality,” Steiner said.

Watch the players on the team to see how they talk to each other and observe how the coaches interact with the players, Steiner said. Don’t settle for merely a good fit. Find the place you can be the most comfortable.

“Would you be able to express yourself in that football team? If you can’t express yourself in that football team, you shouldn’t be there,” Steiner said.

In the end, that was how Steiner ended up at Auburn. It seemed the best fit for the “crazy me,” the Steiner who makes some bad jokes and some good jokes, who asks a million questions.

His instincts were right. The older Auburn linebackers spoke of his intelligence and his enthusiasm for learning when asked about him.

“Yeah, he has all the leadership qualities,” K.J. Britt said. “He’s a freakishly athletic kid. He loves the game. He’s a scholar of the game and soaks up all the knowledge that he can - literally. He tries to soak up everything all at once, and it’s like, ‘C’mon Wesley, we’ve got you.’ He’s growing. He’s farther along than I was when I was a freshman in a good way. He’s really progressed. I can see him easily being a team captain when he gets older. I’m really proud of Wesley. I really am and just how far he’s came and for the hard things he’s been asked to do. He’s done them. I’m really proud of them. He’s got all the intangibles to be better than me one day in all aspects. He’s just got to keep on going.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Though I 100% blame Malzahn for the 12 December signees, I find it hard to believe we only signed 4 players in February. WOW! Unreal.

Edited by auburn4ever

19 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Though I 100% blame Malzahn for the 12 December signees, I find it hard to believe we only signed 4 players in February. WOW! Unreal.

Doesn't surprise me one bit....not even a little.

41 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

@auburn4ever The class is not over yet. Auburn plans to add transfers to the class in the coming months.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Ever think Harsin may have a plan for signing GTs or portal transfers?

14 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

First of all it wasn't 4 it was 7 so far

Jarquez Hunter

Joko Willis

Caleb Smith

Eku Leota - Transfer

Cayden Bridges

Juwon Gaston

Ta'Varish Dawson - Committed earlier but signed in February.

Maybe Dylan Brooks

Plus any Transfer we get later in the process.

• Like 2