Gus apologists: Is it time to let Gus go yet?

Potatooooooes!!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Calling people “apologists” is the same thing on the other spectrum as call others “pessimists.”  Remember last season when the roles were reversed?  Toragirl and 72 both came out and called this forum toxic.

I don't follow, and I don't know why you have "apologists" in quotation marks. Anyone who defends Gus at this point is a de facto apologist, by definition. There's nothing insulting about that. They are defending a controversial position, that's all.

32 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Why start a fight and call them apologists?  That’s a low blow.  

Apologist ? How is that offensive ?

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Pessimism in the face of a dire situation is a rational response. Trying to excuse and apologize away the ineptness that has created the dire situation is not.

But that is not what I am referring to.  What those people have hated being called is the term “pessimists.”  That is specifically what I am talking about.  It started a huge war of words last year and caused people like 72 to stop coming around here   

Why specifically did potatoes use the term “apologist” specifically instead of supporter?  The same reason why I have tried to get people to stop saying pessimist and say realist.  

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Apologist ? How is that offensive ?

The same reason why people are offended to be called pessimist.  

Just now, abw0004 said:

The same reason why people are offended to be called pessimist.  

That’s is not the same thing at all. You get that right ? 

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

But that is not what I am referring to.  What those people have hated being called is the term “pessimists.”  That is specifically what I am talking about.  It started a huge war of words last year and caused people like 72 to stop coming around here   

Why specifically did potatoes use the term “apologist” specifically instead of supporter?  The same reason why I have tried to get people to stop saying pessimist and say realist.  

A pessimist is not a realist . You are equating a lot of definitions that aren’t nearly the same. 

Just now, DAG said:

That’s is not the same thing at all. You get that right ? 

It is the same thing.  People who are called pessimists would prefer to be called realists while apologists prefer to be called optimists.

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Distinction without a difference. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

A pessimist is not a realist . You are equating a lot of definitions that aren’t nearly the same. 

In this scenario it is the same group of people, there was a huge argument over this last season if you recall.  I alluded to it in my post to Bird above. 

It is the same thing.  People who are called pessimists would prefer to be called realists while apologists prefer to be called optimists.

A realist doesn't deny no matter it being optimistic or pessimistic

Outside of possibly UT or Moo St, I don't see a win the rest of the year. This is a bad football team,poorly coached, and damn right I am a pessimist,realist or whatever your silly argument isand I am apathetic concerning the program. Most others are,too

I am not mad. I am excited about the idea of a new coach. It doesn’t matter if it is this year or next. We will have a new man in charge and I am pumped about that. We won’t make a splash hire, we never do, but who cares. There will be new energy in the program with probably the best running back in the SEC by then.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

A realist doesn't deny no matter it being optimistic or pessimistic

Well that is just my impression of who was being name called.  I saw this thread and how it was worded of intentionally trying to start a fight and I didn’t want to have what happened last year happen this year.  That is all I am trying to do.  If I misread I apologize to @Potatooooooes!!

Just now, wcware said:

I am not mad. I am excited about the idea of a new coach. It doesn’t matter if it is this year or next. We will have a new man in charge and I am pumped about that. We won’t make a splash hire, we never do, but who cares. There will be new energy in the program with probably the best running back in the SEC by then.

Let’s all start getting excited about the next coach now! Screw Gus he won’t take my joy. I have xanax

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Except the apologists and pessimists  aren't necessarily posting from a position of realism. One can support and be real just as one can be pessimistic and be real.  Realist accept and discuss the situation for what it is and that can be optimistic or pessimistic.

Just now, bigbird said:

Except the apologists and pessimists  aren't necessarily posting from a position of realism. One can support and be real just as one can be pessimistic and be real.  Realist accept and discuss the situation for what it is and that can be optimistic or pessimistic.

So what you are saying is being objective ? 

I know that there are several people on here that support the players and the program in every situation, good or bad. What everyone needs to understand is that we are all on the same page. We all want what is best for Auburn. The only way to truly improve the program and the development of the players is for Gus/Morris (same) to be removed. It is time. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

So what you are saying is being objective ? 

I have no problem with that.  As you can see I have not defended our play today.  I was simply trying to stop a big war of words on here again.  If I misread and misinterpreted I apologize. 

I know other people have said this before, but the more I think about it, with everything going on in the world and how big of a deal optics are, not to mention he is a hell of a coach, if we could steal Franklin from Penn St. I think he could take us to the top.

Just now, abw0004 said:

I have no problem with that.  As you can see I have not defended our play today.  I was simply trying to stop a big war of words on here again.  If I misread and misinterpreted I apologize. 

To be clear- you've done so by starting the war. Defense by offense, as it were

You're good, buddy

I’ve backed him more than most over the past.  I get frustrated at a lot of the play calls that are made on offense and his predictability....the obvious flaws bla bla...I’ll finally admit, I want a replacement for Gus if we don’t make It to the SEC champ game(very unlikely, I get it). We should fire him at seasons end unless we show massive improvement and run the table.  I have to mention that Gus is at his best the hotter the seat gets which is currently flaming.  If the Gumps loose tonight, the SEC West is still up for grabs....

Archived