Minimum wage increase to $15.

Grumps

25 minutes ago, alexava said:

A quarter pounder with cheese combo was like 11 dollars in Seattle.  I still don’t think an employee at McDonald’s can live on 15$ an hour in that area. 

Bigger cities are always going to be more expensive.  Even Austin is pricey now.  It's why we have to look at this as a more local issue than a national one.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Exactly. IMO, this should be a state issue.  Wages in Wyoming shouldn't be the same as California. Dealing with this Federally puts unnecessary stress and strain on the local level.  While the thought of increasing the minimum wage sounds great, there will be a lot of unforseen and substantial consequences.

It seems like we should stick to the foreseen consequences, given that people can't afford to live on a full-time salary. I mean, those are real consequences that are already happening and have been for long enough that we are structuralizing an entire new underclass generation. 

If we can't say exactly why we shouldn't move forward, then we should move forward. 

Edit: Wrong tone from me. But does my point of view make sense? 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It seems like we should stick to the foreseen consequences, given that people can't afford to live on a full-time salary. I mean, those are real consequences that are already happening and have been for long enough that we are structuralizing an entire new underclass generation. 

If we can't say exactly why we shouldn't move forward, then we should move forward. 

Williams and many others did say exactly why. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Oh I definitely think it needs to be raised, but to a level substainable for the payer as well.

It's not the large businesses that will be affected as much, although there is a real possibility that the increase in wages will motivate the larger companies to invest in more automation, leading to a reduction in the necessary work force. That would be an unintended consequences that would hurt a lot of people and families.

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Oh I definitely think it needs to be raised, but to a level substainable for the payer as well.

It's not the large businesses that will be affected as much, although there is a real possibility that the increase in wages will motivate the larger companies to invest in more automation, leading to a reduction in the necessary work force. That would be an unintended consequences that would hurt a lot of people and families.

Larger companies are already paying more than minimum wage for the most part.  I doubt it would affect them.

Where it might have an effect is the fast food industry.  But if so, then that industry is profiting by low wages to begin with.  That to me, suggests prices should be increased.  It's not fair to for low wage workers to subsidize our food IMO.

36 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

people can't afford to live on a full-time salary.

I support a living wage but not so much a living comfortably wage. 

You're right, In a lot cases that's true, but in others its more of a inability to have the lifestyle they want. There's a difference between unable to afford to feed, shelter, and clothe and unable to afford the nice house/apartment, a nice car, cell phones, satellite/cable, eating out, vacation, upscale clothes, etc.  And please, I'm not saying that is happening in all cases. 

There has to be an equilibrium and a realistic expectation of what is needed and what is wanted.

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I support a living wage but not so much a living comfortably wage. 

You're right, In a lot cases that's true, but in others its more of a inability to have the lifestyle they want. There's a difference between unable to afford to feed, shelter, and clothe and unable to afford the nice house/apartment, a nice car, cell phones, satellite/cable, eating out, vacation, upscale clothes, etc.  And please, I'm not saying that is happening in all cases. 

There has to be an equilibrium and a realistic expectation of what is needed and what is wanted.

Agreed. But in places with moderate cost of living indexes, the current minimum wage won't make even meager ends meet.

I'm not advocating for mandatory luxury.

49 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Larger companies are already paying more than minimum wage for the most part.  I doubt it would affect them.

Where it might have an effect is the fast food industry.  But if so, then that industry is profiting by low wages to begin with.  That to me, suggests prices should be increased.  It's not fair to for low wage workers to subsidize our food IMO.

Do you think big corporations will just raise prices to offset a higher wage or just find ways to automate some of the positions in the restaurant? 

I’m sure it would not take much of a price hike to offset a higher wage, but those bean counters in corporate have a way of looking at nothing but the bottom line. 

11 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Do you think big corporations will just raise prices to offset a higher wage or just find ways to automate some of the positions in the restaurant?

I think the trend will continue toward automation regardless of the minimum wage, not as a response to it. But not everything can be automated economically.

14 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

I’m sure it would not take much of a price hike to offset a higher wage, but those bean counters in corporate have a way of looking at nothing but the bottom line. 

Local bbq. Grease diners, pizza or sub shops can’t pay the higher wages for every employee. They have a starting wage then as the employee shows their worth they get more. This is how it’s supposed to work.  You raise the minimum and now the owner can’t afford to give more money to higher performing employees or can’t hire the less skilled. This can remove all motivation to perform for capable workers.  In some cases everyone involved loses in some way. Except McDonald’s. 

30 minutes ago, homersapien said:

not everything can be automated economically

Not until the demand forces it. The demand will develop new technology that reduces cost

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Not until the demand forces it. The demand will develop new technology that reduces cost

True, in theory. 

But there are many categories of work - especially in restaurants and small businesses that, by definition, consist of relatively low value, low volumes that will never justify automation. 

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

True, in theory. 

But there are many categories of work - especially in restaurants and small businesses - that will never justify automation.

I was talking more about the larger corporations.

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

I was talking more about the larger corporations.

Oh yeah.  Automation will always be an ongoing analysis in those situations. 

That's one of the things that's had the greatest affect on the diminishment of the "middle class"- far more than immigration (for example).

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Edit: Wrong tone from me. But does my point of view make sense? 

No offense, but we have been dealing with it locally AND FAILING HORRIBLY for decades. 
If we have to act, then Federally Mandate a state wide wage survey and a formula on how to act from there.
COLAs from there on and a new wage survey every 5 years. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

How is this facepalmed? Weird!

I think there needs to be a place for entry level jobs that are not meant to provide a "living wage." My first job not as a self-employed laborer was when I was 16 and worked as a bagboy at a grocery store. During the summer I worked full-time. I don't think that should have made enough to feed and clothe and house a small family. All I needed was gas money and money to add to my college fund.

As is the case with many policies, one size doesn't fit all.

Last adjustment to federal minimum wage was in 2009 to $7.25. The current minimum wage adjusted for inflation would be close to $9/hour.

Making it $9 or $10/hour now seems reasonable, and states can go upward from there if they choose (see Florida).

Businesses are certainly free to pay more than minimum as an enticement, and obviously some of them do just that.

33 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

As is the case with many policies, one size doesn't fit all.

Last adjustment to federal minimum wage was in 2009 to $7.25. The current minimum wage adjusted for inflation would be close to $9/hour.

Making it $9 or $10/hour now seems reasonable, and states can go upward from there if they choose (see Florida).

Businesses are certainly free to pay more than minimum as an enticement, and obviously some of them do just that.

Like Buccees. I think they start at like $13.50

Regarding increasing the minimum wage:

Should it matter how much value the employee adds to the company?

Should it matter the age/ability/financial obligations of the employee?

Do we expect people currently making $15.00 per hour to get a $7.00 per hour increase from their employers? In other words, relatively speaking, experienced/educated employees currently making $15.00 per hour will be no more valuable, based on salary, than a new uneducated and inexperienced employee.

Regarding universal basic income:

Should there be any obligations on the people receiving the benefits?

Should non-citizens receive the benefits? Illegals?

Archived