Minimum wage increase to $15.

Grumps

4 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

As is the case with many policies, one size doesn't fit all.

Last adjustment to federal minimum wage was in 2009 to $7.25. The current minimum wage adjusted for inflation would be close to $9/hour.

Making it $9 or $10/hour now seems reasonable, and states can go upward from there if they choose (see Florida).

Businesses are certainly free to pay more than minimum as an enticement, and obviously some of them do just that.

Our temps make 10.25 an hour. I wouldnt drive down our driveway for 10.25/hr.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/5/2020 at 12:38 PM, DKW 86 said:

Even if you didn't have a job and had bills to pay?

On 12/5/2020 at 12:38 PM, DKW 86 said:

We have contractors  who make about that. I also would hate to have to do it. But I remember when I was young, working for pennies. I was trying to climb into a better place. I managed to do it. People have to take it upon themselves to grow and find a way up. In the early 90s I made well over minimum wage and could not afford to go out on my own. When I did get a better job I still took a roommate until I met my wife and got engaged. Then we both improved our position in employment and ability to provide before we had kids. Nearly 7 years after marriage. I’m not bragging on myself. I would do a lot different if I could reset it all. 
        My point is we are doing pretty good. I got an associate degree , she just got her masters last year@42years old.  Mostly done to set example for the kids. I guess I’m seeing people doing everything backwards. Some may have no choice. I stayed in my parents house till 22 I never struggled financially. except for a few periods when I was not as disciplined as I should have been managing my money. I always tightened up and recovered quickly. But people don’t finish high school, have kids before marriage sometimes in already bad relationships or no relationship at all. They dig themselves into a hole before they ever develop themselves into a provider.  Then, when they can’t earn enough to live as a sole provider it’s on them. We can’t legislate that away. We can’t just give people enough to make up for a run of bad decisions or even bad luck. 7.25 is too low even for kids. But I don’t think I could provide for a family on 15$ either.. You gotta hustle. You gotta dig. You gotta find a way. Low pay should be the motivation a person needs to do it. I just don’t see the logic in thinking every full time job should pay enough to support a family. 

3 hours ago, Grumps said:

Even if you didn't have a job and had bills to pay?

No, these jobs are intensely fast and maybe even dangerous.

MANDATORY OVT. Etc. 

You can make more money Delivering Pizzas.

It depends. First of all, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, about 6% of part-time workers (persons who usually work fewer than 35 hours per week) were paid the federal minimum wage or less, compared with about 1% of full-time workers. This was in 2017. In 1979, 13.4% of workers made minimum wage or less. What can be inferred from this is that minimum wage isn't a quality metric for measuring stagnant wages (though I won't say stagnant wages aren't a reality. I just think that conversation is incredibly complex). It also shows that companies aren't just out there paying everyone the minimum amount mandated.

Another thing I will say, is that just because I think something should be done, doesn't mean I think the government should be responsible for making it happen. This thought applies doubly to the federal government. Top down, centralized policies often don't account for the interdependencies associated with a complex system, such as the economy. The impacts can be unforeseen and have assymetric impacts across the country. California workers will benefit greatly from a raise in minimum wage, while a small business owner in rural Mississippi will be put in a bind. Undoing such a policy at the federal level is extremely difficult when there is a disparity in terms of the benefactors and the victims. Centralized power is fragile, while decentralized, local power is antifragile.

In short, let businesses and local governments decide what the minimum wage should be, if they determine the necessity for one at all. If that happens, I support it. If the federal government makes this decision, it's bad.

Archived