No More Small Ball on Defense: A Realistic Defensive Rebuild

Malcolm_FleX48

image.png

The DL is going to be MUCH LARGER than Auburn's DLs of the past.

This DL functions like a cross of a 3-4 DL and a 4-3 in some respects.
One of the key differences is that the ends will play a 2 Gap Technique almost always while the nose exclusively 1 Gaps. This is because the LBs are larger and longer and have familiarity taking on Linemen if need be, but also Because the box is almost always loaded by default in this scheme. Also, because of The multiple abilities of LBs and safeties in blitzing, these linemen don't need to be Stud pass rushers, letting them focus on playing the run and keeping LBs clean. The Nose, despite his size, is going to always be able to cause excess havoc in the passing and Run game since he is only focused on penetrating one gap, which means he doesn't have to slowly read and react, which at his size would be harder anyways. This will end up collapsing the pocket and commanding help from the guard, letting the LB have much more freedom to read and react in the run. The ends will naturally contain runs and set edges thanks to their size and strength advantage and won't have to worry about sack numbers and totals.
image.png

image.png

Edited by Malcolm_FleX48
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

image.png

This is where the unique nature of this scheme comes in because you will be able to have 3 LBs in at all snaps unless you need to go dime. The linebackers are the weapons and specific tools to get pressure but also fill instrumental holes in coverage. All the linebackers within this scheme have the body and explosiveness to play a buck (granted they won't be true DL size.) If they were to be projected to edge and forced to grow into the role, they'd be undersized. Instead, these defenders will be put on the 2nd level where they can instead be big linebackers that also happen to be extremely fast and fluid.

Think:
Clay Matthews
Fred Warner
Kyle Van Noy
(Bengals SAM) Carl Lawson
Chase Winovich
(Pre Injury) Jaylon Smith

The key is that you can now rush the passer from any spot but don't have to worry about losing coverage ability since these guys will be able to play in space and won't be asked to gain too much weight to be on the line full time, nor will they spend any time with their hands in the dirt like we usually do with recruits of this profile. Instead, you train them in coverage and those responsibilities won't be too numerous because you still have 5DBs. These defenders will be able to play the hook curl, shallow middle zones & flat zones but still remain close enough to the LOS as well as have enough bulk to win in a 1 on 1 against a OL in cases where you blitz them or one gets free from the DL.  This is not likely to happen though since the DL is so beefy and strong and ends are playing 2Gaps which lets these LBs get down hill in a hurry and plug any remaining lanes that come open. On passing downs there are formations where you can choose which LB to come down and rush 1 on 1 standup as a buck while the other 2 slide to play 2 ILBs. This can allow you to get creative and send firezone pressures using your safeties and corners because if he drops, he is better in coverage than the typical buck.
image.png
image.png

image.png

Edited by Malcolm_FleX48
  • Thanks 3

image.png

While the LBs are the weapons, the defensive backfield is the utility belt that allows the LBS to be the weapons. All the DBs are tall and rangy defenders that could all pass for a split-end on offense. They make throwing windows automatically tougher, requiring the QB to be much more accurate than usual and they play in a manner that lets them take advantage of the middle of the field being much more secure thanks to 3 long LBs that are able to be in-coverage comfortably. This means they can play off further and close on balls when they get in the air. CBs will line up on their men, possibly off and usually you'll have 3 Deep in coverage. With 3 safeties, this 3 Deep shell can be accomplished in a myriad of ways and if you want, you can now play more exotic combination coverages and leave LBs to hold zones while the defenders pattern read. LBs are now able to be used to rush from multiple locations and you can also throw a safety blitzer in now without worrying about:

1. Him being crushed by max protector due to size disadvantages
2. Losing over the top safety help as the other safety can fill the void.

Having big DBs, especially your Jack Safety let you not sacrifice coverage against faster offenses, while also being strong against the run in bigger packages. Arguably stronger without the need to sub. This will allow you to always be unpredictable on defense and simultaneously blanket the field in coverage while always getting aggressive pressure.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Malcolm_FleX48
  • Thanks 2

This all started when they insisted McClain and Hightower play d end. Courtney what's his face they insisted to be a d end. I remember they wanted baron to play linebacker........

Who was that big safety we had that they refused to let stay at safety? I forget his name but he couldn't get time for us but I think he played a bit on the NFL?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

This all started when they insisted McClain and Hightower play d end. Courtney what's his face they insisted to be a d end. I remember they wanted baron to play linebacker........

Who was that big safety we had that they refused to let stay at safety? I forget his name but he couldn't get time for us but I think he played a bit on the NFL?

Can't remember which safety that was, but I remember hearing about the Hightower thing from my pops back then. Its a shame because the culture started and now defensively, Auburn is lucky when they get physical specimens but they ride the pine if they can't adapt to the pigeonholed roles. I updated the thread to show JUST how it is possible to put these unique player types in roles to be successful while letting them grow into more traditional roles.

• Like 3

I'll agree that we were too small at LB this year when Britt went out. But i don't think we need a change in defensive philosophy. I think we just need capable backups that can fill roles when people go down. If we had someone to plug in for KJ then that would have helped a lot with our defense getting pushed around. Well that and also having people who could replace or kind of replace Brown and Davidson. I personally don't think the coaching staff tried to go smaller on the DL this season....we just lost some monsters from last years team and we did not have new monsters to replace them with. 

For LB i think we need to stay smaller except we need that guy at MLB that can blow up those inside runs. I mean if we can get 240+ pound guys that can also cover backs and slot guys then sign them up!! But with the spread offenses and pace that is out there you need LBs that can cover ground and people more than you need guys that can play inside the box. You still need the big guy in the middle and that is what we were missing this season. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Can't remember which safety that was, but I remember hearing about the Hightower thing from my pops back then. Its a shame because the culture started and now defensively, Auburn is lucky when they get physical specimens but they ride the pine if they can't adapt to the pigeonholed roles. I updated the thread to show JUST how it is possible to put these unique player types in roles to be successful while letting them grow into more traditional roles.

Brandon King. Bird just reminded me

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Brandon King. Bird just reminded me

You know I always give you good stuff to post. 😁

• Angry 1

I feel like we had this exact conversation and issue towards the end of Chizik's tenure. Agreed with Flex.

I just want to throw this out there...Avalos, Oregon's DC, runs a 3-3-5. I'm just saying...

@Malcolm_FleX48, rather than play our ends as 3's, which allows good blocking angles for the OL, especially on IZ, I'd rather line them up as 4is (a TITE front) forcing more difficult angles and taking away the B-gaps and the ability for the guards to pull. What do you think?

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I'll agree that we were too small at LB this year when Britt went out. But i don't think we need a change in defensive philosophy. I think we just need capable backups that can fill roles when people go down. If we had someone to plug in for KJ then that would have helped a lot with our defense getting pushed around. Well that and also having people who could replace or kind of replace Brown and Davidson. I personally don't think the coaching staff tried to go smaller on the DL this season....we just lost some monsters from last years team and we did not have new monsters to replace them with. 

For LB i think we need to stay smaller except we need that guy at MLB that can blow up those inside runs. I mean if we can get 240+ pound guys that can also cover backs and slot guys then sign them up!! But with the spread offenses and pace that is out there you need LBs that can cover ground and people more than you need guys that can play inside the box. You still need the big guy in the middle and that is what we were missing this season. 

Small doesn't equate to good at coverage and longer bodies at LB are the new norm. I just took it to a new level and say, get them long and fluid, and don't get them over 230 and let them fly and be explosive in space. 

• Thanks 2

I do really like the idea of being multiple on defense. Being able to show different things to the offense to confuse them. I think that is what the best defenses outthere do that we do not. We pretty much stay in base D of 4-2-5 all the time. I'd love to see some 3-3-5 type line ups as well to mix in with the 4-2-5 base we run most of the time. II think we played the 3-3-5 some last year. I think we used that against LSU and it worked great against them. The thing is though you gotta have some special DL guys to pull it off. And i'm not sure we had the personal this season to do it. 

Just now, bigbird said:

I just want to throw this out there...Avalos, Oregon's DC, runs a 3-3-5. I'm just saying...

@Malcolm_FleX48, rather than play our ends as 3's, which allows good blocking angles for the OL, especially on IZ, I'd rather line them up as 4is forcing more difficult angles and take away the B-gaps What do you think?

That would work, 4 just let's the LBs have clearer reads and if they kick out to 5 in some aligns, the LBs line up over the gaps. But yeah, it's a new vogue from Patricia and belechick. 

55 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Our DL is fairly undersized against most SEC OLs and isn't necessarily even proficient in pass rush in exchange, which means most times the DL gets driven off the ball and into the undersized LBs laps

I think when KJ got hurt he was trying to arm tackle a running back going full speed while fighting off an offensive lineman at his waist.

I remember watching the linebackers trying to make tackles on running backs before KJ got hurt and thinking, "Those backs are really moving fast and bringing a lot of kinetic energy to the point of impact with the linebackers and that somebody was going to get injured", and that is what happened.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

That would work, 4 just let's the LBs have clearer reads and if they kick out to 5 in some aligns, the LBs line up over the gaps. But yeah, it's a new vogue from Patricia and belechick. 

We used to base with a 4i/0s/5, but we've adjusted to a running more of a TITE front and it's help slow down a lot of the typical blocking schemes freeing up our LBs.  As you said, you need that Harrison Smith type safety to really make it run.  Those are hard to find.

I want us to do anything but line up in this same defense and play cover 2 every damn play. We don't really blitz or anything. I feel like of Steele doesn't have some uber transcendent players on the d line we're just out of luck

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If any want a good breakdown of what I am talking about with the TITE front, here's a good breakdown.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/matchquarters.com/2016/10/10/the-3-4-tite-front/amp/

I think we are on the same page here with this. This is exactly what I specified for my extra large D linemen, but with a 2 gap. 5 would be on double A gap pressures using LBs. Same personnel with no need to change.

But 4i is Def excellent. 3tech only happens on an eagle look but that can be modified. 

Excellent stuff really. And it harkens back to the classics. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

I think we are on the same page here with this. This is exactly what I specified for my extra large D linemen, but with a 2 gap. 5 would be on double A gap pressures using LBs. Same personnel with no need to change.

But 4i is Def excellent. 3tech only happens on an eagle look but that can be modified. 

Excellent stuff really. And it harkens back to the classics. 

What I like about the 3-3 is the ability to bring pressure and attack from multiple angles at any point without flexing or tipping our intention.  

• Like 1