Flash Schwartz YAC

Tigerpro2a

Something that really threw me for a loop here. Anthony Schwartz is leading the SEC in average YAC. It seems Devonte Smith would be way ahead. but not the case.  Am I the only person who finds this surprising and why does it seem we still do not utilize him correctly?

I think most of Smiths yardage are catches after he’s got behind the defense. So not much YAC (yards after contact). 

if we had an Oline that could block and a qb that could hit a deep pass... then Schwartz could be used similar... 

1 minute ago, Bathel said:

I think most of Smiths yardage are catches after he’s got behind the defense. So not much YAC (yards after contact). 

if we had an Oline that could block and a qb that could hit a deep pass... then Schwartz could be used similar... 

Definitely. One thing, we don't see Flash break many, but he is pretty consistently able to get 5-10 YAC each catch. I guess that consistency is the reason he is where he is on the list. 

The first reason we don’t use him correctly is poor coaching and the second is poor execution.  We have had problems with the O line most of the year and the QB is often running for his life.  Even when the QB not running for his life he doesn’t set his feet and therefore cannot make an accurate throw  because he is so used to having to run for his life.  Flash is often well behind the defender and the ball sails 10 yards over his head.  How someone could overthrow a receiver that fast by that much will forever be a mystery.  If he was wearing red he would probably have Devonta Smith numbers but it is what it is.  Another great talent wasted by poor lineman recruiting and poor coaching.  

Not surprizing at all. Most of Flash's plays are short passes with him breaks them for more yards. Most of D. Smith's plays are bombs where he doesn't have as far to run after the catch.

• ellitor changed the title to Flash Schwartz YAC
2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not surprizing at all. Most of Flash's plays are short passes with him breaks them for more yards. Most of D. Smith's plays are bombs where he doesn't have as far to run after the catch.

It is surprising to me. It doesn't seem to me like he breaks that many IMO.  Maybe I am mixing up Smith with Waddle. I think I am. I honestly still expected both to be higher in YAC per catch than Flash. 

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

It is surprising to me. It doesn't seem to me like he breaks that many IMO.  Maybe I am mixing up Smith with Waddle. I think I am. I honestly still expected both to be higher in YAC per catch than Flash. 

YAC= Yards after Contact, NOT Yards after Catch... right?

Neither Waddle nor Smith have much “contact” on their long receptions... they are mostly behind the D. They catch a lot of bombs and then slants where they don’t get touched for a long time. 

Flash catches a bunch of 1 yard passes or even behind the line passes and we hope he can break it long... it’s the only pass our oLine seems to be able to block for and Nix can throw.  Hence a lot of Yards after Contact. 

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

the best way to use the fastest guy in football, couldn't think of any other way over the last 3 years.  The ability to utilize our talent and extract every ounce of ability is the envy of all of college football. LOL

Rainman made better use of the speed of his dad's car than Gus has with Schwartz

22 hours ago, Bathel said:

Actually wrong, it is yards after catch. Yards after contact would make even less sense to me being Flash rarely breaks tackles.

He's one of our biggest weapons, can take it to the house on almost any play. Just give the ball to him moving in space and repeat. 

These throws behind the line, comebacks aren't it. We should also try at least one bomb on a double move with him per quarter

33 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

He's one of our biggest weapons, can take it to the house on almost any play. Just give the ball to him moving in space and repeat. 

These throws behind the line, comebacks aren't it. We should also try at least one bomb on a double move with him per quarter

That’s crazy. You know he’s more valuable faking the sweep every play!

Archived