Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

That terrifies me.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve said it once already and I’ll say it again... IT HAS BEEN LESS THAN 24 HOURS SINCE GUS HAS BEEN FIRED AND THE UNIVERSITY HASN’T EVEN MADE A PUBLIC STATEMENT YET. 

These things take more than 24 hours, almost always. Be patient. 

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

InsideSource23

Same source said if Mario is to take it he thinks it would have to be today or tomorrow because of NSD.

autigers07 who is one of the most reliable people for years on the bunker said faction 1 is led by harbert and they want steele. Faction 2 is led by Yella wood and they want Cristobal/outside hire. Faction 3 is led by Gogue and they want a national search lol. BAHAHAH this is AUBURN.

15 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

This is the SEC recruiting is the most important trait and skill you need in this conference. YOU HAVE to be able to be a lights out recruiter. Look at Kirby. meh coach. One of the best recruiters. Cristobal is in that class. He is a top 5 recruiting head coach.

I can’t understand why people don’t get this, and Smart is the biggest example we can see.  Get the elite players!  

19 minutes ago, Beaker said:

snip...

The money guys would not pay $11 mio to swap Gus for an unknown entity or a lateral kind of  move.

Heh.  You must be new around here.    

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I’ve said it once already and I’ll say it again... IT HAS BEEN LESS THAN 24 HOURS SINCE GUS HAS BEEN FIRED AND THE UNIVERSITY HASN’T EVEN MADE A PUBLIC STATEMENT YET. 

bruhhh we just do not want it to be steele. that is all we ask. I do not care how long it takes as long as it is him (or rhett or chip lindsey).

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

wantitnow.gif

13 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Freeze has a kid at Auburn. Could we see him in this shirt on the sidelines soon?  

B468F89D-F329-4F8D-86B9-40B58CC30FEC.jpeg

Waffle House? Is that on our list of job requirements now? 

Can he recruit at an elite level? Because if Brett Bielema taught us anything it is that good coaches in the Big 10 still need top recruits to succeed in the SEC. 

4 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

Interesting angle from Outkick:

If I were Auburn president Jay Gogue, I’d hop on a plane for Bloomington, Ind., right now and beg Tom Allen to take the job. He’s exactly – and I can’t stress this enough, exactly – what Auburn wants from its football coach.

Auburn loves to speak about it its family atmosphere, and how being part of that family is the most important thing (and winning — or lose and get $21.4 million to go away). Allen, who was an assistant on Freeze’s Ole Miss staff for 3 seasons, took over at Indiana and has transformed a basketball school into a legitimate threat in the Big Ten.

His mantra LEO – Love Each Other – is about as Auburn as it gets. He preaches the idea of players and coaches and staff loving each other, and moving that love into the passion of playing for and with each other.

Yeah, it’s hokey. But you know what? It worked at IU. He recruits furiously in the state of Florida (where he was a high school coach), and he has built his team on fast defenses and a dangerous dual-threat quarterback.

Why make any other choice?

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

That terrifies me.

I'm going to tell myself its good news.  We have our guy.  We knew it when we made the move and we're wrapping it up.  If it were dragging on for days I would worry about it being Steele. 

At least thats what I'm telling myself. 

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

bruhhh we just do not want it to be steele. that is all we ask. I do not care how long it takes as long as it is him (or rhett or chip lindsey).

Me if Auburn promotes Steele

8ABF07B4-E98C-4E59-A766-8A9504429FBD.jpeg

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

autigers07 who is one of the most reliable people for years on the bunker said faction 1 is led by harbert and they want steele. Faction 2 is led by Yella wood and they want Cristobal/outside hire. Faction 3 is led by Gogue and they want a national search lol. BAHAHAH this is AUBURN.

It just means more? 

If what people are saying they already have the guy.  It is somebody they already knew like Freeze so not much vetting to be done or they have been vetting people for a while (hard to believe that because secrets usually slip out). So next question are they looking for a splash hire or a placeholder who might be a homerun.  If a Splash hire could be Freeze, Critobal, or Meyer.

Personally I would like it to be Cristobal great O-Line recruiter well known in FL. prime recruiting area but I could see Oregon out bidding us and I hope it is not Meyer (personal opinion Scum bag).

Steele might be a placeholder but no chance of a homerun to me that leaves Venable, Brady and Fickel.  I can't see any of them.

I think it will be Freeze with all his baggage but I hope it is Cristobal. 

15 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

Interesting angle from Outkick:

If I were Auburn president Jay Gogue, I’d hop on a plane for Bloomington, Ind., right now and beg Tom Allen to take the job. He’s exactly – and I can’t stress this enough, exactly – what Auburn wants from its football coach.

Auburn loves to speak about it its family atmosphere, and how being part of that family is the most important thing (and winning — or lose and get $21.4 million to go away). Allen, who was an assistant on Freeze’s Ole Miss staff for 3 seasons, took over at Indiana and has transformed a basketball school into a legitimate threat in the Big Ten.

His mantra LEO – Love Each Other – is about as Auburn as it gets. He preaches the idea of players and coaches and staff loving each other, and moving that love into the passion of playing for and with each other.

Yeah, it’s hokey. But you know what? It worked at IU. He recruits furiously in the state of Florida (where he was a high school coach), and he has built his team on fast defenses and a dangerous dual-threat quarterback.

Why make any other choice?

Not gonna lie. Tom Allen does fit Auburn very well culture wise. And I have been impressed with what he's done at Indiana. Especially how his outmaned & talented team fought Ohio St. & gave them a scare after a rough 1st half.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

It just means more? 

TELL EM LOOF!!!!!

2 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Heh.  You must be new around here.    

That is funny, but this is not the same Auburn.

We hired the softball coach  who won Natty's and yes imploded because of his son.  But Auburn also hired Bruce Pearl recently.

I think this will be a homerun hire for the first time in out football history.  I really do.  At the time Patrick Fain Dye was not exactly on a lot of lists. But he had a similar resume, at the time,  to Cristobal's now...

And it is $11-12 mio (upfront) because the balance will be paid as a budget item in years to come.  

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

This Harbert guy must be an idiot. 

Did he inherit his money?

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Not gonna lie. Tom Allen does fit Auburn very well culture wise. And I have been impressed with what he's done at Indiana. Especially how it outmaned team fought Ohio St. & gave them a scare after a rough 1st half.

I've been a huge proponent for Freeze, bc I just ultimately want to win at any and all costs, but I'd absolutely be on board with this hire as well. What are our chances here though? I honestly haven't heard his name floated as an option very often for some reason.

It needs to be Cristobal and it needs to happen in the next hour or two to get things rolling.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Who all is in Harbert's faction though?  Steele, his son, and a few defensive staff member alumni?

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

Who all is in Harbert's faction though?  Steele, his son, and a few defensive staff member alumni?

I would imagine  his brother who is a assistant AD at AU I believe.

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

Idk if I'm buying all the smokescreen. It seems like they already had their choice before firing Gus. I doubt Rane let's Steele be the guy.

Archived