Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

Sometimes money ain't everything. MC and his family are stuck in the NW, in an area with a whacked out culture. With insidious, self destructive Pac 12 leadership. They were born and bred in the SE, albeit south Florida. Surely he and his family are fed up and looking to return to an area of the country where the culture is more stable, with a fertile recruiting area he understands, AND with the best conference in the land. More importantly let him pick and choose his staff. Pony up.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

OK DUDE! ENOUGH! Just freaking tell us who you want. All you do is take a gigantic sh*t on every good coach people bring up. WHAT DO YOU WANT?!? Spit it out. 

dfdfs.gif

Pshhh. The coaches I think we need to hire if we really want to see better football we don't have the balls to hire. I think this is a disaster waiting to happen. Of the names that have been thrown out, I think Freeze and Fickell are the best options. But we probably won't get either one. I don't think Freeze will do much better than Gus, but he's the safe hire to at least not allow the program to fall apart. Fickell is a little more of a risk, but I really feel like he fits the program well. Unfortunately, Freeze has too much baggage, and it sounds like the majority of the deep pockets are against hiring him.  As for Fickell, I don't know if Fickell wants to leave the midwest. He grew up in Ohio, played football at Ohio State, and has only coached in Ohio. From his wiki, it looks like he was only not in Ohio for 1 year while he played for the Saints. So, I'm probably not going to be happy with whomever we hire. 

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

Exactly. If the 2nd name were Napier, I would feel better. The possibility of Steele being the fallback if Mario stays at Oregon literally makes me nauseated

Big shout out for proper word usage here. I only learned a few years ago the difference between nauseated and nauseous, and now I notice it used improperly eeevvvvvvverywhere. 

It definitely pays for Auburn fans to know the difference. 

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

What if they floated Steele's name just to make us all feel better about whoever it is instead lol

It's working like magic on me.

3 minutes ago, aub4life said:

Well, then screw MC.  Auburn offers him a chance to coach in the best conference and being closer to family and home.  Take what was offered and get your big $$$ after proving yourself.

Dude, let's say you have a job offer.  Your current employer finds out and says "What do I need to do to keep you?"

That's essentially what is happening here.  I can't blame any man or woman for that.  He's getting to name his price and conditions. 

2 minutes ago, Jones Field said:

Mods on 24/7 still saying that Steele is the top choice....

The heat they are taking is incredible. People are mad. I think it will not go well and they know it. 

7 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Well we picked the wrong school to go against if it is a bidding war. Now if he wants to come to the SEC, and play with the big boys, bring it. But there is no way we will be able to outbid Nike.

Ever heard of Apple? They make these things called iPhones. I hear they’ve sold a couple of them. 

3 minutes ago, aub4life said:

Well, then screw MC.  Auburn offers him a chance to coach in the best conference and being closer to family and home.  Take what was offered and get your big $$$ after proving yourself.

It’s a business. If you get a job offer but your current job offers you more money are you gonna take then new job just because you wanna move? I doubt it. I doubt Auburn thought Oregon was just gonna let MC walk on out of Oregon. IMO they had to be pretty confident and they still could be. Nobody knows 

4 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I like Napier, Elliot. Ficknell would be great but I think he will stay to take Michigan. 

Michigan is negotiating an extension for Harbaugh.

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

If Kevin Steele gets hired as Auburn’s coach, I’ll donate $10 to the charity of your choosing. Not gonna happen. You don’t pay a 20 mil buyout for Kevin Steele.

I CRINGE anytime someone says something like this!!!! THE SPORT GODS ARE NEVER KIND TO US with coaching searches!!!! please go to cracker barrel and knock on one of their rocking chairs! lol

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Dude, let's say you have a job offer.  Your current employer finds out and says "What do I need to do to keep you?"

That's essentially what is happening here.  I can't blame any man or woman for that.  He's getting to name his price and conditions. 

MC might just be using Auburn to get a better contract at Oregon. There was a list put up on one of the other threads of top coaching jobs. Right now, Auburn and Oregon are allegedly on even footing as far as desirability. 

15 minutes ago, WinstonMcFlurry said:

Seems like this implies Cristobal 

Actually if it’s Mario he’s expected to be named in the next day or two so I do not see it as a good sign.

5 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Pshhh. The coaches I think we need to hire if we really want to see better football we don't have the balls to hire. I think this is a disaster waiting to happen. Of the names that have been thrown out, I think Freeze and Fickell are the best options. But we probably won't get either one. I don't think Freeze will do much better than Gus, but he's the safe hire to at least not allow the program to fall apart. Fickell is a little more of a risk, but I really feel like he fits the program well. Unfortunately, Freeze has too much baggage, and it sounds like the majority of the deep pockets are against hiring him.  As for Fickell, I don't know if Fickell wants to leave the midwest. He grew up in Ohio, played football at Ohio State, and has only coached in Ohio. From his wiki, it looks like he was only not in Ohio for 1 year while he played for the Saints. So, I'm probably not going to be happy with whomever we hire. 

Tony Elliot?

15 minutes ago, WinstonMcFlurry said:

Seems like this implies Cristobal 

Yeah, if it's Cristobal you kind of have to wait. He's gearing his team up to play either a 3rd place game against Colorado or for his second conference championship against USC at the end of this week. PAC12 is cray cray this year. Have to prepare for two opponents the week of the game.

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Money talks as does the prospect of having a shot at a national title.  He can't win one at Cincinnati and he's learning that right now.

I'd make him tell me no twice before moving on.  I think he's the best mix of coach and setting a program culture for long term success.

Fickell would be awesome but I live in the Cincinnati area and don’t see it. He has a bunch of kids (6) and one of them is committed to play at UC next year. He only has like a 4 million buyout so not that expensive but he has never left Ohio. His 3.2 million a year gets him a lot here...

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

It's so crazy that people make this such an emotional (and consequently judgmental) thing. Like... spend less time putting yourself in that person's shoes then it took you to piss and moan for 3 sentences on a message board and you'd have your answer, lower your blood pressure, and not look silly. 

Just now, nixtosanders94 said:

Shock...er

We fired a coach that was losing 1-2 games more than he should ever year, but at least he didn't have a losing season. If we are going to make that move, it needs to be a solid hire that is very unlikely to send the program backwards. I haven't seen that kind of name thrown out. I'm really concerned we end up like Tennessee, Texas, Michigan, Florida State, USC, or any of the other programs that have traditionally been good and now suck. 

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I CRINGE anytime someone says something like this!!!! THE SPORT GODS ARE NEVER KIND TO US with coaching searches!!!! please go to cracker barrel and knock on one of their rocking chairs! lol

It just honestly makes so little sense financially and strategically that it would be a **** up of monumental proportions. I refuse to believe Allen Green or even Harbert or Yella Fella are that stupid. 

Just now, AUFriction said:

We fired a coach that was losing 1-2 games more than he should ever year, but at least he didn't have a losing season. If we are going to make that move, it needs to be a solid hire that is very unlikely to send the program backwards. I haven't seen that kind of name thrown out. I'm really concerned we end up like Tennessee, Texas, Michigan, Florida State, USC, or any of the other programs that have traditionally been good and now suck. 

Uh huh. Thanks for your insight.

Archived