Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

5 minutes ago, AuburnWarVet said:

Serious question...why not Luke Fickell? Do you think he could do well here?

to coach at Auburn you have to go toe to toe against Saban and Smart in recruiting - hence you need to have credibility right with the high school coaching establishment.   Not sure Fickell even knows Auburn is in AL.  

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WinstonMcFlurry said:

Seems like this implies Cristobal 

Not saying he's wrong, but I don't trust Marcello to be right on anything. So many people close to the program hate him that it wouldn't surprise me if someone intentionally told him the wrong thing. Or, it is also possible that he's just reading this forum. He's repeated rumors that only showed up on here in the past.

27 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Yo, @Hay Field 101 I'm making a lunch run. I'm stopping by the gas station and picking up some beef and crawfish meat pies. They have 30 packs of Keystone Light. You want 1 or 3?

Ah hell dawg its Monday might as well make 4 while you're out. It being cold and wet i might have to hunker down for a day or two. Hey see is they have any Ms. Pauls fish sticks if they do grab me  few packs I already have a half gallon of Franks Red Hot Sauce 

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

to coach at Auburn you have to go toe to toe against Saban and Smart in recruiting - hence you need to have credibility right with the high school coaching establishment.   Not sure Fickell even knows Auburn is in AL.  

what three coaches can go toe to toe with Saban and Smart in recruiting?  Recruiting is the lifeblood - this hire must be a recruiter first and hire great assistants.  

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

Fickell has never coached outside Ohio. If he leaves the state, I'd assume it would be for a big 10 school.

OK DUDE! ENOUGH! Just freaking tell us who you want. All you do is take a gigantic sh*t on every good coach people bring up. WHAT DO YOU WANT?!? Spit it out. 

dfdfs.gif

Well we picked the wrong school to go against if it is a bidding war. Now if he wants to come to the SEC, and play with the big boys, bring it. But there is no way we will be able to outbid Nike.

What if they floated Steele's name just to make us all feel better about whoever it is instead lol

10 minutes ago, AuburnWarVet said:

Serious question...why not Luke Fickell? Do you think he could do well here?

He's been my top choice for a year.

2 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Mario Cristobal, if that's the best we can do then what are our expectations? Everyone here agrees that we want Championships of this I am sure. Because I am not in the MC hyperbole I am in the minority and that's cool. Where in he pedigree do you see championships? In the PAC-12 right? 

I think you and I are the only ones that feel this way about Cristobal. Everyone seems to think he's going to energize our recruiting. But recruiting so clearly was not the problem with Malzahn. On the field coaching was, and, from what I see out of Cristobal, he has the same weakness. My expectations with him would be the same as they were for Gus... 1-2 games more a year. 

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

He's been my top choice for a year.

He's my top choice too. I think he'd fit well here. But I'm not convinced he'd leave the midwest. He's only ever coached in the state of Ohio. And, aside from 1 year with the Saints, he played there as well. 

19 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Or it could mean that Auburn thought they had their guy, but Oregon got serious about it and swayed Cristobal’s attention.

If we don’t get Mario then this is what it sounds like to me happened.

Just now, AUFriction said:

He's my top choice too. I think he'd fit well here. But I'm not convinced he'd leave the midwest. He's only ever coached in the state of Ohio. 

Plus, like I said earlier, we'd have to pay the rest of his contract.

10 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Jboy just confirmed the bidding war fwiw 

Well, then screw MC.  Auburn offers him a chance to coach in the best conference and being closer to family and home.  Take what was offered and get your big $$$ after proving yourself.

I also want MC, but he isn’t the only good coach out there.  All the machinations over him possibly saying no to AU are overreactions.  Auburn will be great with or without MC. 

Just now, ellitor said:

If we don’t get Mario then this is what it sounds like to me happened.

Agree 100%. Basically we fired Gus to get Mario. If that fails, we start from scratch. 

1 hour ago, slyinsocal said:

Yes. Some context is missing there. 2 Conference championships at BOTH coaching stops. The Pac12's idiotic CANCELING, then reinstatement of the season, killed his roster and a great opportunity for back to back titles.

Right? Oregon sure is pushing hard to keep that loser coach of theirs in Eugene. If only our posters could show them the error of their ways...

9 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I see nothing on his Twitter. There HAS to be a middle between MC and KS. I’ll happily take Napier before KS!

Exactly. If the 2nd name were Napier, I would feel better. The possibility of Steele being the fallback if Mario stays at Oregon literally makes me nauseated. 

Just now, Jones Field said:

Mods on 24/7 still saying that Steele is the top choice....

If true, kiss half the fan base goodbye.

21 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Keep dragging your feet Auburn 

I think he’s setting up some thing here. He’s signing Wednesday but won’t let it get out until the All-Star game on the second and was said to have three finalists.

2 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

He's my top choice too. I think he'd fit well here. But I'm not convinced he'd leave the midwest. He's only ever coached in the state of Ohio. And, aside from 1 year with the Saints, he played there as well. 

Money talks as does the prospect of having a shot at a national title.  He can't win one at Cincinnati and he's learning that right now.

I'd make him tell me no twice before moving on.  I think he's the best mix of coach and setting a program culture for long term success.

11 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I got a cool $50 right here if that’ll help sway Mario. Oh and what do we have here?! Mr. Washington! And don’t forget the other guys in the band. Abe Lincoln, and Mr. Washington!

117885C8-B965-42A7-8A67-D0E1313DE747.jpeg

1 minute ago, Jones Field said:

Mods on 24/7 still saying that Steele is the top choice....

If Kevin Steele gets hired as Auburn’s coach, I’ll donate $10 to the charity of your choosing. Not gonna happen. You don’t pay a 20 mil buyout for Kevin Steele.

Archived