Men vs Appalachian St.

Zeek

Okay, I'm taking the wife on a surprise trip up to the Auburn basketball game. Haven't been to a basketball game in-person since I was younger.

Any recommendations for a good place to get brunch before the game?

We'll be making a 3.5 hour drive so we'll be up a little earlier to get there without a rush.

Any advice on where to park? Are there bag policies?

Masks required? Suggested? Thanks ahead of time and War Eagle.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know  that masks are mandated 

On 12/19/2020 at 10:54 AM, Zeek said:

Okay, I'm taking the wife on a surprise trip up to the Auburn basketball game. Haven't been to a basketball game in-person since I was younger.

Any recommendations for a good place to get brunch before the game?

We'll be making a 3.5 hour drive so we'll be up a little earlier to get there without a rush.

Any advice on where to park? Are there bag policies?

Masks required? Suggested? Thanks ahead of time and War Eagle.

I cant remember if they are open for brunch on Tuesdays or not, but The Hound is going to be the best call for brunch if they're open. I've never had a disappointing bite of food from there. And if you feel like splurging just a bit, get some of the house made pepper jelly for an appetizer! 

I'm taking the opposite approach today. I want to see another fanbase look uncomfortable and disappointed for a change. I'm in Boone for a Xmas vacation. Going to try and find a nice restaurant or bar to watch the game.

Anyone know if the game is on SEC Network tv? My guide is showing SEC championship game.

@ellitor can you help a brother out?

Auburn takes App State game ‘very seriously’

By Giana Han

Men’s Basketball: Auburn vs Troy

Auburn Tigers forward Jaylin Williams (23) gets a dunk during during the game between Auburn and Troy at Auburn Arena. Mandatory Credit: Shanna Lockwood/AU AthleticsShanna Lockwood/AU Athletics

Auburn has been playing good defense for a young team, but it’s about to go up against an App State team that has some complex systems. And if Auburn isn’t careful, App State will “make you look bad,” coach Bruce Pearl said.

Pearl described App State as an “older, strong mid-major team.” Like other mid-major teams, the Mountaineers run an offense that is probably more complicated than many of the SEC offenses Auburn will face, he said. They make up for less sheer talent with complicated plays and systems.

“Certainly I think one of the things that helped me was I developed being a Division-II coach for a number of years, being a mid-major coach, having to find ways to defend and score when it wasn’t just about the talent on your roster,” Pearl said. “As a result, the stuff we’re going up against is hard to guard.”

As a team, the Mountaineers are averaging 75.8 points a game and shooting 44 percent from the field. Three players, Adrian Delph, Donovan Gregory and Kendall Lewis, are scoring, on average, at least 10 points a game.

In comparison, the Mountaineers’ opponents are averaging 55.4 points a game and shooting 36 percent.

“They do a great job defending without fouling which is important and they get to the line themselves,” Pearl said.

In the Tigers’ last game, a 77-41 win over Troy, they made 57.1 percent of their shots and held their opponent to a 31.9 shooting percentage. Allen Flanigan, Jaylin Williams and JT Thor scored in the double digits while nine other player contributed baskets. The Tigers had an outstanding first half but were outplayed in the second.

“We’re still a work in progress,” Pearl said.

Against the Mountaineers, they’ll have to overcome on both ends of the floor with the complex offense and the lockdown defense. But a lot of times, the game really boils down to matchups.

“We’ve got a couple of tough matchups, a couple of guys that are going to be hard to keep out of the lane, are defending well,” Pearl said. “But I think that we’ve had some -- we’re getting better, we’re learning a lot.”

Right now, Flanigan and Williams are the toughest players for opponents to defend. Other players have improved, but there hasn’t been consistency. Justin Powell, who has been playing point guard, scored over 20 points in two games in a row but was held to just three points against Troy. The key to Auburn’s success is having someone outside those three step up, Pearl said.

The inconsistency is a common problem among such a young team, but the Tigers will once again be facing a much more experienced team. Appalachian State has nine returners and several grad transfers. Just because the Mountaineers aren’t a part of the SEC doesn’t mean it will be easy, Pearl pointed out.

“We’ve managed to take every opponent really serious, and with good reason,” Pearl said. “We’ve got to make sure we’ve got that same attention to Appalachian State.”

Is the game on Sec network? It’s shows Alabama v Florida and Auburn b-ball at 2:00 on the ESPN app.My cable guide shows Alabama v Florida at 2:00

8 minutes ago, toddc said:

Is the game on Sec network? It’s shows Alabama v Florida and Auburn b-ball at 2:00 on the ESPN app.My cable guide shows Alabama v Florida at 2:00

i was wondering the same thing. i need the pick me up of pearl and company today.

That stat where App St is allowing 55 pts per game got my attention. We are going to have to shot well or do some really good ball movement to score in this one. Hope Powell and the rest of the team is ready for the challenge. 

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Anyone know if the game is on SEC Network tv? My guide is showing SEC championship game.

@ellitor can you help a brother out?

@toddcyes it’s on the regular SEC network. It got moved from 1 PM to 2 PM CT to be on TV.

• ellitor changed the title to Men vs Appalachian St.

Archived