Kevin Greene

NorthGATiger

Anyone here hearing anything bad about Kevin Greene possibly passing away?  Supposedly Willie Anderson posted on Twitter.  I pray this is not true.

Updated: Confirmed 😢

Kevin Darwin Greene (July 31, 1962 - December 21, 2020) was a former American football linebacker and defensive end who played in the National Football League (NFL) for 15 years. Greene retired after the 1999 NFL season and ranks third amongst all-time sack leaders, leading the NFL twice in that category. He was a three-time All-Pro, was voted to the National Football League 1990s All-Decade Team, and was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2016.

this is from wiki

auburnwire.usatoday.com

Auburn legend Kevin Greene dies at the age of 58

Brian Stultz

Auburn lost a true legend on Monday as Kevin Greene, the 1984 SEC Defensive Player of the Year and Zeke Smith Award winner, died.

Greene was a mainstay for the Tigers at linebacker from 1983-84 after walking on to the team. In his senior season, he led the SEC with 11 sacks.

Drafted in the fifth round in 1985 by the Los Angeles Rams, Greene went on to a long career in the NFL, playing for five teams from 1985-1999. He earned NFL Defensive Player of the Year honors in 1996, made five Pro Bowl rosters and was named First-Team All-Pro three different times.

Greene was inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame in 2016.

1 minute ago, auburn4ever said:

OMG. Kevin was only 54. My heart and prayers go out to his family, friends and his fans. R.I.P. Kevin.

I remember watching his post-game interviews on The Pat Dye Show and while everyone else was celebrating and laughing, he was still so intense I think he was ready to sack the interviewer.  Dude was serious about his football.

Blessings to his family!

Oh man this sucks. The dude is a Hall of Famer and true Auburn man. A self made man and a legend in every sense of the word. This loss stings. 

True story. While I was in school several of us were talking to Kevin at a party when someone asked what his future plans were. At that time he was a junior and not even starting at end. They would bring him in passing situations to put pressure on the quarterback. His answer was quick and decisive, “next year I will be all SEC and then will have a 10 year NFL career”. We all looked at each other thinking the same thing, sure you will Kevin. I’ll always remember that. He was one of the most driven football players to ever play the game. 

I remember sitting beside his family at the 1984 Kickoff Classic at the Meadowlands. He was mostly only playing kick coverage in that game, if I recall.

By the end of the season he was starting and an absolute terror.

He became a fan favorite over the course of that year.

Auburn Army ROTC used Kevin and his older brother Keith in an ad in the Auburn game program in 1984.

There was an NFL film made about him early in his career, and it included clips of him with his Army Reserve tank unit at the National Training Center.

What a guy.

His brother, Keith, died a few years ago from cancer. This is so tragic to lose both. Prayers for his family.

Kevin was such a bigger man than the children on Auburn's BOT right now. Listen to Kevin's NFL Hall of Fame speech again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TWuwKd6Aio

As I listen to Kevin Greene's HOF speech I get more pissed. All he did was talk about others. How great all these players and coaches around him were.

What a guy. So sad that he is gone way too soon.

The only NFL player I’ve ever gotten an autograph from. Great guy. War Eagle! Open wide the gates. 

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:
auburnwire.usatoday.com

Auburn legend Kevin Greene dies at the age of 58

Brian Stultz

Auburn lost a true legend on Monday as Kevin Greene, the 1984 SEC Defensive Player of the Year and Zeke Smith Award winner, died.

Greene was a mainstay for the Tigers at linebacker from 1983-84 after walking on to the team. In his senior season, he led the SEC with 11 sacks.

Drafted in the fifth round in 1985 by the Los Angeles Rams, Greene went on to a long career in the NFL, playing for five teams from 1985-1999. He earned NFL Defensive Player of the Year honors in 1996, made five Pro Bowl rosters and was named First-Team All-Pro three different times.

Greene was inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame in 2016.

Kevin was a guy who truly, truly,truly loved Auburn. He also truly, truly, truly detested Brian Bosworth. R.I.P. Kevin.

Just now, milehighfan said:

Kevin was a guy who truly, truly,truly loved Auburn. He also truly, truly, truly detested Brian Bosworth. R.I.P. Kevin.

Guy was the Creed.

Hard Work. Love of Country. Love of God. Love of Family. Love of Auburn.

Oh man, clicked on this thinking it was a joke of KG turning down the Auburn job.

Really wish that's what it woulda been. Dude was a beast and one of my favs to watch growing up. Been a pretty bad year all around for Auburn football/fans

Archived