QB Recruiting

auburn4ever

I hope we sign a solid drop back passer. Bo Nix is not a true pro style QB. Sorry, I should have posted this in recruiting thread. Please feel free to move it if you need to.

49 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I hope we sign a solid drop back passer. Bo Nix is not a true pro style QB. Sorry, I should have posted this in recruiting thread. Please feel free to move it if you need to.

Bo is MUCH more a passing QB than a running QB. 

Fact is he hasn't gotten any better since he signed. Maybe CBH can turn him into the QB we thought he would be when he signed. 

4 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Maybe CBH can turn him into the QB we thought he would be when he signed.

This. I hope we can see some true development/progress out of Bo with a new staff. I think that the raw tools and talent are there to be pretty good; now we’ll see if it’s Bo or the coaching that has been the limiting factor 

49 minutes ago, fredst said:

This. I hope we can see some true development/progress out of Bo with a new staff. I think that the raw tools and talent are there to be pretty good; now we’ll see if it’s Bo or the coaching that has been the limiting factor 

This x 100

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

You know Harsin doesn’t run a true pro style correct? It’s a MULTIPLE scheme. He incorporates pro-style for runs and play actions, but he runs plays out of the spread, pistol, etc. 

This is a very cold take to say that Bo is not a drop back passer because of the system you’ve watched him play in as well as him being athletic and more mobile. 

Do some research and you can see that Bo tossed for over 10,000 yards and 127 TDs. And added 2000 more yards on the ground and 33 TDs. This isn’t some scrub we picked up because his last name was Nix. He legitimately showed his talent growing up and the coaches we surrounded him with ****’d it up. 

55 minutes ago, Taco said:

You know Harsin doesn’t run a true pro style correct? It’s a MULTIPLE scheme. He incorporates pro-style for runs and play actions, but he runs plays out of the spread, pistol, etc. 

This is a very cold take to say that Bo is not a drop back passer because of the system you’ve watched him play in as well as him being athletic and more mobile. 

Do some research and you can see that Bo tossed for over 10,000 yards and 127 TDs. And added 2000 more yards on the ground and 33 TDs. This isn’t some scrub we picked up because his last name was Nix. He legitimately showed his talent growing up and the coaches we surrounded him with ****’d it up. 

I have to believe that Harsin will require (or properly teach) Nix to preferred use of the pocket or there may be someone else playing. I believe that Bo will learn when he realizes that it means it will be necessary and not an occasional option.

The other thing to realize with CBH & Bo, is that CBH works with what he has and adjusts his schemes based on his players strengths.  I bet we see a lot of Bo involved in the run game.

1 hour ago, aubie57 said:

We all know there hasn’t been a QB to progress at Auburn in 8 years. I don’t blame all Bo’s problems on Bo. 

He has been at AU for 1.5 years.  He hasn’t been coached up yet.  Let CBH and Bo get together for a bit, and I think we see a different Bo Nix, and I’m all for it.  His passion and intensity as a QB will mirror that of our new head coach.

16 hours ago, alexava said:

Oh please not that “Multiple “ adjective again.  I get flashbacks of Leofler. 

The multiple scheme is great if you use it correctly and have a smart coordinator running it. The goal of a multiple offense is to fit the offense to your personnel and best players. In 2012, we had a team that was recruited to play in a spread offense, and for some reason Loeffler was insistent on using a ton of i formation and single back formation. He was “multiple” but he didn’t use the personnel in a way that maximizes their strengths. That’s part of the reason Gus was able to turn the offense around so quickly in 2013... the personnel fit what he wanted to do offensively. Yet Loeffler, who was supposed to be running a more versatile offense, was pigeon holing spread players into pro formations.

19 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Nix is a fixable quarterback with a huge upside if he can fix his problem. After playing behind shoddy offensive lines last year and early this year, he has started playing a little scared, leaving to pocket too quickly. Teach him to sit in the pocket and to step up into it, and that would fix his footwork, making him much better. Given the history Harsin has with QBs, I’d expect him to fix Nix’s problem, and he’ll probably be one of the better QBs we’ve had when all is said and done.

Something that has been left off this thread - how much of his lack of pocket passing is because of poor O line protection?   Granted, I have seen him take off, or fail to plant his feet when he’s had time, but with poor protection, it can definitely get in your head and speed up the internal clock.  

I don’t say this to bash the OL, it’s what I played growing up so I have a tendency to defend the line, but he hasn’t had great OL play the last 2 years.  

27 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Nix is a fixable quarterback with a huge upside if he can fix his problem. After playing behind shoddy offensive lines last year and early this year, he has started playing a little scared, leaving to pocket too quickly. Teach him to sit in the pocket and to step up into it, and that would fix his footwork, making him much better. Given the history Harsin has with QBs, I’d expect him to fix Nix’s problem, and he’ll probably be one of the better QBs we’ve had when all is said and done.

Good post, but still need top tier o lineman to be able to be successful as a QB. We have been lacking that the last few years. I hope he gets some lineman that will work. Then again, as you stated Bo was playing scared and not going through all his reads a lot of the time. 

I hope he signs many QB's and doesn't cull through 85% of them as though they were a 'miss'. Then I want to see the best ones on the field, getting better every week. And I want to hear the outside world talking about bow badass they are. I want to see the 2's play actual football in garbage time, for Auburn to stop forfeiting games (plans) every time one key player gets "banged up". I want a young team to still be a team, and a work in progress to actually progress- in a damn hurry. And for the locker room to line up to take bulkets for the qb because he's the baddest s.o.b. in there. All this talk about types of qb's and types of offenses is for pretend know-it-alls and 7-5 teams. 

2 hours ago, GoAU said:

Something that has been left off this thread - how much of his lack of pocket passing is because of poor O line protection?   Granted, I have seen him take off, or fail to plant his feet when he’s had time, but with poor protection, it can definitely get in your head and speed up the internal clock.  

I don’t say this to bash the OL, it’s what I played growing up so I have a tendency to defend the line, but he hasn’t had great OL play the last 2 years.  

Not have been left off this board. It has been talked about and argued till we have been blue in the face. Nix problems have always been technique , even in high school. You could put him behind Alabama’s line and he would still be throwing off his back foot and floating balls over people heads. Or being even more aggressive than he is with Auburn, such as just lofting the ball in the air when he is about to get sacked. Has the offensive line not need the greatest? Yes. Has the offensive line been a lot bette than  last year ? Yes. The offensive line is getting the blame for basic poor QB play. 

People love to say he has all this talent, potential, upside.....when in actuality Bo so far has shown to be an average QB. Bo has to work on the absolute basics and has to stop playing scared and then hopefully he can improve. 

It's sort of funny to read that some of you think saying to Bo hey stay in the pocket will fix everything. 

Truth be told Bo has all the problems that a stereotypical run first QB has, where most of the time people tend to give up on guys like that excuses are made for Bo. Hopefully somebody will get through to him and show him that you're not a good QB right now and you're not going to be good until you look in the mirror and fix things. 

23 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

People love the Nix name but his game is quite suspect. Football I.Q.? Even more suspecter lol 

Nix needs real competition in the spring. He must make a step forward or a new QB needs to be starting 

Just now, mdp5150 said:

People love the Nix name but his game is quite suspect. Football I.Q.? Even more suspecter lol 

Nix needs real competition in the spring. He must make a step forward or a new QB needs to be starting 

Luckily D. Davis will be coming in 

26 minutes ago, mdp5150 said:

Finally

1 hour ago, mdp5150 said:

I would love to see someone compete for the job. 

Will HC look at Qb quarterback transfer portal ? Thoughts  I suspect it will not be necessary since Bo should improve with more authority to read defenses.

1. 2021 College Football Transfer Portal - 247Sports

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/TransferPortal

Dec 25, 2020 · 2021 Players in the NCAA College Football Transfer Portal

Archived