OC: Mike Bobo

W.E.D

Anyone actually on board with this hire???

UPDATED: CONFIRMED

Welcome to The Plains Mike Bobo - Offensive Coordinator

AUBURN, Ala. – A veteran coach in the Southeastern Conference, Mike Bobo has been named offensive coordinator at Auburn, head coach Bryan Harsin announced Thursday. Bobo spent last season at South Carolina as offensive coordinator and quarterback coach after a five-year stint as head coach at Colorado State. He also spent 14 years at Georgia.

"I've wanted to work with Mike now for quite some time as he compliments the many things we want to do with our offense," Harsin said. "We are going to be very versatile in what we do and Mike's offensive background speaks for itself. I'm really excited to combine forces with Mike as we create the Auburn offense, a high-powered, attacking and physical unit that will come at you in many ways."

At Colorado State, he guided the Rams to bowl games in each of his first three seasons, making him the lone coach in program history to accomplish that feat, and joined Sonny Lubick as the only two to coach the Rams in multiple bowl games in their careers. 

Overall, Bobo's teams left their marks on the offensive record book at CSU, as his squads own three of the top six marks for total offense in a season as well as the school record for most yards per game in a season, that coming in 2017. His Rams also posted three of the top seven scoring seasons in CSU history. In five seasons, he was 28-35 and 20-20 in the Mountain West Conference.

"I have a great amount of respect for Coach Harsin, both as a coach and as a person," Bobo said. "I competed against him for five years as a head coach and we've talked ball on numerous occasions over the years. I know what he's about and his commitment to excellence. I know that Auburn is a great community with a tremendous passion for and commitment to Auburn football. I'm excited to get started and look forward to helping Coach Harsin compete for championships."

https://auburntigers.com/news/2021/1/7/football-mike-bobo-named-offensive-coordinator-at-auburn.aspx

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Is he my first choice? No. Is he my 10th choice? Still no.

But hey, I've been wrong plenty of times before

Not my first choice but he is an elite recruiter. I think we are trying to find people that can recruit lights out.

I think this may actually happen. This makes more sense than the other rumors we have heard. He fits the system and can recruit like crazy

I thought I read somewhere that Harsin calls his own plays - is that correct?

14 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

If you are asking if those here want Bob, I can only say I have seen way more sentiment against Bobo than support.

Rivals AU mod just said he does not think we are targeting Bobo. Hahaha!!!

This is fun!!!

And to think we could just be sitting here stuck with Gus knowing that next year was going to be terrible no matter what

I'm thinking (1) he couldn't convince the Boise State OC or any of the previous Boise State OCs to come to Auburn, and/or (2) he's looking for recruiting and plans to do more actual offense coaching and play calling himself, and/or we be in deep doodoo.

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

This is fun!!!

And to think we could just be sitting here stuck with Gus knowing that next year was going to be terrible no matter what

Thank you my breathing just slowed down lol 

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

This is fun!!!

Beat writers out there throwing s*** at the wall, imo

Might work. Highly successful as the OC at Georgia under Richt. I recall being happy when he left for his first head coaching gig. I think some of the negative knee jerk reaction is due to recent history. 3 things. #1 kiss of death, was his name being floated as part of Steele's staff. #2, his lone season at South Carolina (this year) was bleh. But was it really surprising considering who the HC was (Muschamp)? #3 Mediocre to worse as HC at Colorado St (5 seasons). Another good coordinator not cutting it as a HC. However, he was a Broyles award finalist at Georgia with good to excellent multi faceted offenses. Matthew Stafford, Aaron Murray, and David Greene were the QBs during his Georgia stint. Not an endorsement, but a wait and see.

4 minutes ago, aubie17 said:

I think it is a bait and switch so that when the OC from Boise State is announced Zeek will be ecstatic that it wasn't Bobo. 

Makes sense. Sounds par for the course lol. 

Archived