Closing Out the 2021 Recruiting Class

Zeek

4 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

What about the long haired cat from the west coast? His name escapes me  played TE and WR.

That would be Sal Canella. He was a JUCO transfer. His catch in the 2019 Iron Bowl was spectacular.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we're talking grad transfers, signing after spring is entirely common. @Mikey provided the explanation while arguing post-spring transfers don't work out:  graduation. There have been a number of guys transfer post-grad, but they have to wait until classes end in late April/early May. If that's where we're looking, there will be guys who can play available.

If we're looking for castoffs that didn't move up the depth chart, I'd have to see it to believe there are large numbers of guys making an impact that way. Corey Grant did it. I can't really recall another guy in that boat making an impact at Auburn. We've had grad transfers (Countess, Council, etc.) come post-spring and make an impact. I just can't recall regular transfers doing the same. Not impossible, but usually the best guys leave after the season ends.

This year is unique we may get some HS players who already singed with Tenn. (Like Dylan Brooks) because of the Tenn. meltdown, Some of the new coaches had some contacts with 3* players who did not sign  that we had not been pursuing who are quality players and we still have some who committed to Auburn and either decommitted or just dis not sign early that we may sign during late signing period in February.  If we can get 4 or 5 quality HS Players from those groups then 1-2  Quality JUCO's (especially as JUCO's will all have 3 years of eligibility) we will have gone a long way to improve this class even before we get transfer's. 

Grad Tranfers are eligible right away and some transfers coming from schools like Tenn and others where there were coaching changes probably would get immediate eligibility 

2 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

There have been a number of guys transfer post-grad, but they have to wait until classes end in late April/early May.

Yes indeed. That' why I wrote this: "Also, some grad transfers will have to wait until they graduate in May before entering the portal."

3 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Not impossible, but usually the best guys leave after the season ends.

Not per Keith and he knows a lot more about this stuff and tracks it better than we do.

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

The wait for Harsin's first commit has been a good bit longer than i expected.....

Really? What were you expecting? Guys to just follow him along to Auburn after early signing day?

18 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Really? What were you expecting? Guys to just follow him along to Auburn after early signing day?

I thought we'd have a couple to a handful of commitments/transfers by now. 

15 minutes ago, gravejd said:

It’s hard to commit to a guy who didn’t even have a full staff yet. Most guys aren’t just going to follow somebody across the country to a new place that they haven’t even visited yet.

Just now, Sizzle said:

It’s hard to commit to a guy who didn’t even have a full staff yet. Most guys aren’t just going to follow somebody across the country to a new place that they haven’t even visited yet.

Not an unreasonable expectation from gravejd...I bet most of us thought there would be 1 or 2 by now based on past experiences.    Harsin, while a little handicapped due to his relative unfamiliarity on this side of the country, seems to be prioritizing a slow, careful, and methodical building approach over stacking the roster (and staff) quickly with risky offers.  Hopefully it pays off.

37 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Not an unreasonable expectation from gravejd...I bet most of us thought there would be 1 or 2 by now based on past experiences.    Harsin, while a little handicapped due to his relative unfamiliarity on this side of the country, seems to be prioritizing a slow, careful, and methodical building approach over stacking the roster (and staff) quickly with risky offers.  Hopefully it pays off.

The staff is working more on 22 and on, rather than this class. Too much ground to make up in a short time to make any kind of dent in the 21 class, unless you want a bunch low graded 3 stars 

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

The staff is working more on 22 and on, rather than this class. Too much ground to make up in a short time to make any kind of dent in the 21 class, unless you want a bunch low graded 3 stars 

I think the difference is that if the player was looking at mid successful schools as his options then Auburn might steal one away, if they offered.

But this guy was from a big time program, and already had interest from USCw before Auburn even got involved. Wasn't our fault, jsut the timing of it I feel.

4 hours ago, gravejd said:

@gravejdNot sure why you thought that. We didn’t really have any hot leads on high school recruits and he’s not just going to bring players over from Boise.

39 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@gravejdNot sure why you thought that. We didn’t really have any hot leads on high school recruits and he’s not just going to bring players over from Boise.

Not sure folks understand how bad Gus had tanked this recruiting season. This year is a wash and not an indictment on Harsin whatsoever. Not saying we don't have needs, but the man had a giant hole to climb out of upon landing in Auburn. 

20 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Not sure folks understand how bad Gus had tanked this recruiting season. This year is a wash and not an indictment on Harsin whatsoever. Not saying we don't have needs, but the man had a giant hole to climb out of upon landing in Auburn. 

Gus had things lined up to where he was about to bring in like 3 or 4more 4*  recruits, but he got fired the next week and they left. 

4 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Gus had things lined up to where he was about to bring in like 3 or 4more 4*  recruits, but he got fired the next week and they left. 

Regardless that would’ve only had our class at 16 spots filled and at this point that’s pretty bad.

5 hours ago, Sizzle said:

I think he (AUdevil) may be saying that it seems all other schools seem to pull things out of a hat, but rarely do we.  Plus, we are all tired of swings and misses—-ready for someone to hit the ball. Personally, I am tired of seeing “topic moved to rivals recruiting forum” beneath a potential recruit post/topic/player

On 1/24/2021 at 1:15 PM, Gowebb11 said:

That would be Sal Canella. He was a JUCO transfer. His catch in the 2019 Iron Bowl was spectacular.

One of the best throw and catches I have seen an AU player make. AUmazing.

52 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

I think he (AUdevil) may be saying that it seems all other schools seem to pull things out of a hat, but rarely do we.  Plus, we are all tired of swings and misses—-ready for someone to hit the ball. Personally, I am tired of seeing “topic moved to rivals recruiting forum” beneath a potential recruit post/topic/player

Of course we’re all tired of swinging and missing but what do you expect from a guy who got hired after early national signing day and still doesn’t even have a full staff yet?

Recruits want to see some kind of stability before they commit 3 or 4 years of their life to you

12 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Of course we’re all tired of swinging and missing but what do you expect from a guy who got hired after early national signing day and still doesn’t even have a full staff yet?

Recruits want to see some kind of stability before they commit 3 or 4 years of their life to you

likewise, Harsin doesn't just want bodies...he wants kids he can mold (and willing to be molded) for 3-4 yrs.  

He is looking for the right kind of kids.  Looks like he is absolutely in this for the long play and willing to use slots all spring long and consider kids hitting the portal after their spring ball.  

We have had more than our share of great prospects come through and leave because they didn't want to work or be molded.  

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

likewise, Harsin doesn't just want bodies...he wants kids he can mold (and willing to be molded) for 3-4 yrs.  

He is looking for the right kind of kids.  Looks like he is absolutely in this for the long play and willing to use slots all spring long and consider kids hitting the portal after their spring ball.  

We have had more than our share of great prospects come through and leave because they didn't want to work or be molded.  

Nothing wrong with that but talent still wins ball games. Coaching only takes you so far. I think even Saban said that. This ain’t Boise

5 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Nothing wrong with that but talent still wins ball games. Coaching only takes you so far. I think even Saban said that. This ain’t Boise

100%  concur. 

It's gonna take some time to build this right.  We are so far behind in recruiting due the last 5-6 yrs of poor practices and Gus' hubris, makes me sick.  

If it were me - yeah, fill the roster and we will separate the chaff from the wheat this spring.   But, Greene chose not to hire me.   Now that I think of it,  I didn't even get an interview.  Huh...I forgot about that.  

19 minutes ago, Beaker said:

100%  concur. 

It's gonna take some time to build this right.  We are so far behind in recruiting due the last 5-6 yrs of poor practices and Gus' hubris, makes me sick.  

If it were me - yeah, fill the roster and we will separate the chaff from the wheat this spring.   But, Greene chose not to hire me.   Now that I think of it,  I didn't even get an interview.  Huh...I forgot about that.  

Don't feel bad, I didn't get one either despite my years of coaching youth football up to 6th grade.

Archived