Closing Out the 2021 Recruiting Class

Zeek

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

I respect everyone's opinion here. My opinion is I really don't care how it looks. We need to get the best players from any source available to help us win games in 2021, and then worry about the future in recruiting for 2022. The scope of recruiting and how to win in college football has completely changed bc of The Transfer Portal, Grad Transfers, etc. You change with it, or get left behind.

Unless you can recruit elite 4 and 5* star talent year after year (Bama, Clemson, Ohio State) then you have to improvise.

exactly. Look at Georgia. If they had not brought in JT Daniels and finally got him into the games, they would have been a disaster with what they had left at the QB position. Daniels transferred in May 2020.

Mathis was the starter, was terrible and replaced w/ walkon Stennett. Stennett beat us but never could get better and was replaced by Daniels who never lost a game after that....

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, bigbird said:

Right you think we'll be good on the OL because of spring practice and a new coach.

Just for my clarification, what was the reason for the OL performances during the '16-'17 and '18-'19 seasons? I mean, we had new Coaches and spring practices then, so why will this year be different?  What exactly has changed within the program to lead you to think this year will be different?

We've had great performances from our RB corps in recent years. That's indicative of solid O-line play. This past season appeared to be headed towards a banner rushing year until the rash of injuries to both the RB's and the O-line hit. All we need is a return to normal injury levels in those two areas to be successful.

I’m all for freedom of speech, it is *the* foundational principle of our country. But, also wondering if it is possible to ban someone for stupefyingly ridiculous posts in defense of the previous coaching regime? Mods....?

5 minutes ago, fredst said:

I’m all for freedom of speech, it is *the* foundational principle of our country. But, also wondering if it is possible to ban someone for stupefyingly ridiculous posts in defense of the previous coaching regime? Mods....?

You see Golf still hanging around, don't ya? That should give the answer you want.

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

Anybody else realize so far both our new commits are originally from North Carolina?

Based on what you know right now, who are you predicting to the good guys on Signing day? 

31 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Based on what you know right now, who are you predicting to the good guys on Signing day? 

@Gowebb11 from what I’m hearing and reading Hunter, Gaston, Bridges, 3* Juco LB Joko Wills if his grades check out, and Dylan Brooks likely after late NSD.

On 1/31/2021 at 8:57 AM, fredst said:

We can always just stop feeding him. 

Calling out Zeek and Ellitor and any other recruiting enthusiasts in the know: What NSD surprises do you have knowledge of or even a gut feeling that we might sign this Wednesday? We seemed to get all bad news last signing day.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Gowebb11 from what I’m hearing and reading Hunter, Gaston, Bridges, 3* Juco LB Joko Wills if his grades check out, and Dylan Brooks likely after late NSD.

Looks like the new UTK coach is going to drag out his release as long as he can. That might just make Brooks even less likely to stay. Just release the kid and re-recruit him if you want to have a chance to keep him.

Not expecting Balfour?

With Smith and Leotu who just recently announced their commitment this is turning out to be a good class. 

D-Line is a great class

DB's are solid and fill our depth needs 

O-line now has a HS G and HS OT and might have a slight chance at Juco OT Moko who I am praying for

Hunter at RB

Solid WR 

a Great QB

Hoping Wills grades come through and hoping we find a way to convince Trevin at LB 

Then we need to find the right GT's to round out this class. Considering where we were a week ago a huge improvement by no means a great class but it does show how hard the new guys are working and gives me hope for the future.

2 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

this is turning out to be a good class. 

I wouldn't say good yet. I would say salvageable. We still need a couple quality GT OTs, A thumper GT LB, & a quality GT RB along with the guys we look to lead with before I would call it at least pretty good.

6 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

D-Line is a great class

Solid. Becomes good if we get Brooks.

35 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Calling out Zeek and Ellitor and any other recruiting enthusiasts in the know: What NSD surprises do you have knowledge of or even a gut feeling that we might sign this Wednesday? We seemed to get all bad news last signing day.

@ArgoEagle @Never2Yield Leota was a surprise we just landed & Bridges will be a surprise if we land him as it's looking now.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

When talk about firing Gus got serious I went ahead and made peace with the lost recruiting class, taking a little solace in the fact that this is the best year in awhile, with the COVID extensions, to have a lost recruiting class. I got briefly hopeful when some uncommitted and UT big names got thrown around, but most of those didn't pan out, which was honestly what should be expected on this narrow timeline. It's still tough to swallow, but this is going to be a hard class to salvage. Brooks is the only name in that group that seems like a definite early contributor. A couple of the others I'm not really sold on (from my vast experience of watching 8 minutes of Hudl film). I'm still hoping we can pull a few more decent sized rabbits out of the hat, somewhere. 

41 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

UT big names got thrown around, but most of those didn't pan out, which was honestly what should be expected on this narrow timeline

@AUinfusion Especially since we didn't pursue any except maybe Henry To'o To'o

41 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

this is going to be a hard class to salvage. Brooks is the only name in that group that seems like a definite early contributor. A couple of the others I'm not really sold on (from my vast experience of watching 8 minutes of Hudl film). I'm still hoping we can pull a few more decent sized rabbits out of the hat, somewhere. 

The immediate contributers you are looking for will likely come from grad transfers a good ways after NSD.

I should make an amendment to my comment. I don't know enough about DB skills to fully comment on Bridges, but I LOVE the way he plays football. If we can put him in a good position to win, he seems to have the attitude to do so.

10 Spots Left:

1. Dontae Balfour 3* CB - I'm not confident but it's not over yet
  2. Jordan Moko OT - JuCo guy from Australia with no clear leaders
  3. Juwon Gaston 3* S - seem to be in a good spot
  4. Jarquez Hunter 3* RB - seem to be in a good spot
  5. Cayden Bridges 3* S - seem to be in a good spot
  6. Transfer/JuCo QB
  7. Transfer/JuCo OL
  8. Transfer/JuCo RB?
  9. Transfer/JuCo RB
  10. Dylan Brooks 4* DE

Just a guess on how we might look to close out. Transfers should start to pick up more traction after signing day.

Archived