What was your first time in Jordan Hare?

bdc81

Found this tonight: The 25 best college football stadiums (msn.com)

Everyone cheer up, its great to be an Auburn Tiger

Parents took us to Auburn for homecoming vs UF at Cliff-Hare Stadium,  which was a 45,000 seat horseshoe in 1967

Had BBQ at the Pharmacy Building, bought a sweatshirt at J/M Bookstore

Saw three touchdowns and and 2 blocked punts in 3 minutes

Read about the game in the Birmingham News on my grandmothers porch the next day after church.

I don't care what they do with the playoffs, how much the players are rewarded, or where the coach previously worked.  Just looking for another beautiful Saturday on the plains.

Little doc

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't remember the year, but the name of the stadium was Cliff Hare.

We played Chattanooga opening game of season, I believe.

1981 vs. Wake Forrest.  We lost.

Bo Jackson came the next year.  It was magic after that.

You young people missed out on how good AU football was when Bo ruled the field. 

Not "this" Bo. 

The "Bo" of 1982-85.  A three-sport star and Heisman winner.

I was lucky to be a student at Auburn while all this occurred.

I vividly remember the 1989 Iron Bowl.  (I went to a game or two before that, but I can’t remember for sure what game or year.) I was 12 and too young to appreciate the historic occasion I was witnessing.  That was one of the great days of Auburn history!!!

1 hour ago, MaxCohen216 said:

1981 vs. Wake Forrest.  We lost.

Bo Jackson came the next year.  It was magic after that.

You young people missed out on how good AU football was when Bo ruled the field. 

Not "this" Bo. 

The "Bo" of 1982-85.  A three-sport star and Heisman winner.

I was lucky to be a student at Auburn while all this occurred.

That may be the same as mine; I don't remember if I went over for the first game of the season with TCU, before classes started.  1981-84 I went to pretty much every home game, walking from my apartment on Cox St.  And to Birmingham for the Iron Bowls.  However, I think my parents took me to an Auburn-UF game in the early 70's, my dad graduated from UF but we lived in Montgomery and he worked with a bunch of Auburn grads.  With Barkley there too, I definitely lucked out with timing for watching Auburn greats...

1970 Georgia Tech game.  Auburn won and Sullivan threw what was then the longest touchdown pass in Auburn history to Alvin Bressler, 85 yards,  I've had season tickets since 1977, but I still remember every detail of that first game.

12 hours ago, bdc81 said:

Found this tonight: The 25 best college football stadiums (msn.com)

Everyone cheer up, its great to be an Auburn Tiger

Parents took us to Auburn for homecoming vs UF at Cliff-Hare Stadium,  which was a 45,000 seat horseshoe in 1967

Had BBQ at the Pharmacy Building, bought a sweatshirt at J/M Bookstore

Saw three touchdowns and and 2 blocked punts in 3 minutes

Read about the game in the Birmingham News on my grandmothers porch the next day after church.

I don't care what they do with the playoffs, how much the players are rewarded, or where the coach previously worked.  Just looking for another beautiful Saturday on the plains.

Little doc

First time for me in the stadium was my first Auburn game. 

The ORIGINAL deflategate

1993 Auburn vs Mississippi State. 

Terry Daniel boomed 2 punts for like a 57 yard average and Jackie Sherrel was convinced Daniel had helium in the balls. 

Auburn vs. Arizona in 1977. We won 21-10. We ate at a meat and 3 buffet by Toomer’s Corner, then walked over to Jordan-Hare to buy tickets from scalpers for $10 a piece. Key players then were William Andrew, Joe Cribbs, James Brooks, ‘Fast Freddie’ Smith, and James McKinney. The QB ‘battle’ that year was between John Crane and Charlie Trotman. Good times. War Eagle 🦅 

Mine was 1987 or 88 was there with my first wife and family. was raised in a bammer family so i reallly didn't know what to expect. I beleive my father n law kept saying something about the rambling wrecks from Georgia Tech? IDK all i remember was that i had a wonderful time was completely accepted and ate food with people i had never seen in my life. I was sold. My next time was a knee jerk trip with an Auburn buddy. No tickets no nothing. Bummed our way into a few tailgates, ate like kings and drank free beer all-day. I do remember that we played Florida State because we sat 6 rows above their band in that tiny visitor corner. Was doing the arm chop but using Auburn words. People around us didn't take to kindly to that. We were loosing most of the game. Kept seeing # 45 on the auburn sideline jumping up and down wanting to get in. They finally put him in and the crowd went nuts. he took off like a rocket when he got the ball. auburn came back and won the game and that was it I was Auburn through and through from that moment on. My dates may be a little off but that's the way  I remember it.

BC

dyes second year i believe. my poor ol step father would take me and mom and be the designated driver. mom would smuggle in about six miniatures and we would get a buzz. those were some fun times.

September 1969. Auburn 57 Wake Forest 0. The beginning of the Pat Sullivan to Terry Beasley era. Military brat who moved to Mission Bay HS senior year, Had been accepted to Penn State on an NROTC scholarship visited Pen State didn't like it and on a whim put in an application to Auburn as had a friend who graduated from Quantico HS one year before where I was a junior who went to Auburn told me I would love it. Arrived at Auburn 17 years old, shy and a little sacred as I only knew one person. A bunch of us from Magnolia Hall sat together and watched an amazing game. That game will be etched in my memory for all time. 

It was one of the first of many great experiences at Auburn.  

Mine was Cam’s A-Day game.  Me and my dad were excited to see him for the first time.  When he was only in for a handful of junk plays and replaced, my dad leaned over and said “that’s our next QB.  They just don’t want the other teams to know how good he is.”   I’d say he was right.   Sure love that memory and that I got to share those times with one of the biggest auburn fans to ever live.   

43 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

September 1969. Auburn 57 Wake Forest 0. The beginning of the Pat Sullivan to Terry Beasley era. Military brat who moved to Mission Bay HS senior year, Had been accepted to Penn State on an NROTC scholarship visited Pen State didn't like it and on a whim put in an application to Auburn as had a friend who graduated from Quantico HS one year before where I was a junior who went to Auburn told me I would love it. Arrived at Auburn 17 years old, shy and a little sacred as I only knew one person. A bunch of us from Magnolia Hall sat together and watched an amazing game. That game will be etched in my memory for all time. 

It was one of the first of many great experiences at Auburn.  

i also lived in Mag Hall and had a partial NROTC scholarship. I was the battalion exec. officer my senior year (1959).

Archived