Auburn's Outgoing Transfers

Zeek

11 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

Now don’t get me wrong, these kids deserve to make some money, but these new rules are not holding any of them accountable for decisions made. This may be one reason why so many of the nba players are bankrupt within two or three years of their retirement from the league.

For what it is worth, that isn't the reason.  It is mainly because their spending habits are out of control with people coming out of the woodwork wanting some of that cash.  A lot of their advisors also either don't have the stomach to stand up to them and tell them "no" or they are just looking to help themselves.  The first reason is why my firm does not work with celebrities or athletes for the most part (their money goes out the door faster than it comes in).  There are exceptions to the rule of course and we have a few Hawks players as clients that actually invest their money, but it is few and far between.  For this reason I have stated a few times on this board I would love to retire in Auburn and create a financial education course for Auburn athletes to help them plan for their future instead of living in the moment.  I think not could be an incredible recruiting advantage as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fredst said:

I heard that he had a Suspicious Mind about what the offense would be under Harsin

I think it more of a Burning Love of Texas

• Love 1

27 minutes ago, fredst said:

I heard that he had a Suspicious Mind about what the offense would be under Harsin

Plus with the fact that Under Armour is not creating Blue Suede Shoes for the home games this year. 

15 hours ago, toddc said:

Texas

🙄

Edited by W.E.D

59 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You all are- and I cannot stress this enough- the biggest bunch of dorks ever.

I love you all dearly.

Would you say that you...can't help falling in love?

• Facepalm 1

11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Like someone on the bunker said I guess he found out that the tigerette who helped recruit him didn't actually love him like he thought!! 😆😆

Not gonna lie, had a similar experience during visits at colleges for wrestling lol. We all want to believe we're just that attractive and charming (especially at that age).

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

For what it is worth, that isn't the reason.  It is mainly because their spending habits are out of control with people coming out of the woodwork wanting some of that cash.  A lot of their advisors also either don't have the stomach to stand up to them and tell them "no" or they are just looking to help themselves.  The first reason is why my firm does not work with celebrities or athletes for the most part (their money goes out the door faster than it comes in).  There are exceptions to the rule of course and we have a few Hawks players as clients that actually invest their money, but it is few and far between.  For this reason I have stated a few times on this board I would love to retire in Auburn and create a financial education course for Auburn athletes to help them plan for their future instead of living in the moment.  I think not could be an incredible recruiting advantage as well.

That seems to be counter productive to me.

You're right as far as education but it really should start in grade school, teaching kids about credit and such. Nobody wants to be broke. But when it's your first time getting money you don't know. Really learning in college is toolate. But you also have the problem of rich people love to be secretive and just looks to keep it in the family. And people don't care about you until you have something to offer them.

Also people like to talk about how people like to leech of the kids but another problem is the guys that do this don't have to face any repercussions. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You're right as far as education but it really should start in grade school, teaching kids about credit and such. Nobody wants to be broke. But when it's your first time getting money you don't know. Really learning in college is toolate.

This is so important. It's insane that kids are taught calculus and British lit but not how credit cards and retirement accounts work. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You're right as far as education but it really should start in grade school, teaching kids about credit and such. Nobody wants to be broke. But when it's your first time getting money you don't know. Really learning in college is toolate. But you also have the problem of rich people love to be secretive and just looks to keep it in the family. And people don't care about you until you have something to offer them.

Also people like to talk about how people like to leech of the kids but another problem is the guys that do this don't have to face any repercussions. 

It wouldn't be too late to learn in college at all.  A lot of this may be too complex to learn in high school unless it is a part of the AP program when it comes to investment tools and basic estate planning.  I wouldn't be opposed to basic finance planning being in high school though.  I think it is extremely important, especially for kids who do not have a figure in their life to teach them.

And when you are referring to leeching, do you mean the "friends and family" that come out of the woodwork or the advisors?  I definitely agree with the friends and family aspect, although I don't know what legal action you could take.  For the advisors, there are repercussions in place, especially the finance side.  The finance sector is the most regulated sector in the country, even over healthcare.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

It wouldn't be too late to learn in college at all.  A lot of this may be too complex to learn in high school unless it is a part of the AP program when it comes to investment tools and basic estate planning.  I wouldn't be opposed to basic finance planning being in high school though.  I think it is extremely important, especially for kids who do not have a figure in their life to teach them.

And when you are referring to leeching, do you mean the "friends and family" that come out of the woodwork or the advisors?  I definitely agree with the friends and family aspect, although I don't know what legal action you could take.  For the advisors, there are repercussions in place, especially the finance side.  The finance sector is the most regulated sector in the country, even over healthcare.

No where was it stated that learning in college was too late as far as it's not productive. Or I guess I should say I don't mean it's too late for effects but it's too late in an overall sense that it should be taught much earlier. I'm saying it should start earlier to have a better effect. And they teach very high level stuff in high school now. And even with that there's still a way of teaching but maybe just going to a moderate level.  Like I said it's not as if learning how to manage money is offered and people and the athletes are just lazy and didn't want to learn.

I think people would be surprised at how interested people may be. 

As far as leeching I'm talking about the professionals. Rarely is it the athlete had all this money and they gave it away.

They get tricked into bad business ideas and bad investments and things fall through. It's not too different than how the music industry have taken so much from everybody, yet all that happens is it's a shame. Then they move on to the next and do it again

And there's no way anybody is more regulated than the nuclear industry but it may be over health care. 

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

This is so important. It's insane that kids are taught calculus and British lit but not how credit cards and retirement accounts work. 

On top of being taught a history that's not entirely true and me as an minority I didn't learn anything as far as hero's of my race outside of Dr long, George Washington carver, and a few others. And this is bigger than the surface. I feel by not teaching the bad and good of the nation kids get it pounded in their head how white people are so heroic, intelligent, and admirable but you don't hear hardly anything of the other races, that has effects socially as children grow as well.

Sitting around being taught propaganda as opposed to learning about how to be financially proficient. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

TBH, I think it's a waste of time to try to teach them money management in grade school, since they have not really started to be able to be required to earn money or spend it. I do think in HS, and it's never too late in college to make every student(esp. athletes who will get money through NIL or after college), to take practical course in finance, money management, investing, loans, etc), as I think this is when they are mostly on their own, and need to know that financial base to help them with in the real world. 

I bet some colleges definitely do this, as I think this topic has been around a while with so much money out there for the athlete.

30 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Like I said it's not as if learning how to manage money is offered and people and the athletes are just lazy and didn't want to learn.  Regretfully I might have to disagree here.  Not that they are lazy necessarily, but that it may be too complex.  The Series 7 exam (license to invest) has a 70% fail rate as it is and you have to be at least 18 to take it.  Learning those concepts may be too overwhelming in high school but learning how to balance your checkbook and learning what compounding is I think would be very valuable in high school.

I think people would be surprised at how interested people may be.  I don't doubt you for a second, especially in college where these athletes see before the money falls into their lap what their money could do for them before the pressures of "Keeping up Your Instagram." 

As far as leeching I'm talking about the professionals. Rarely is it the athlete had all this money and they gave it away.  Agreed.

They get tricked into bad business ideas and bad investments and things fall through.  That definitely happens.  These professionals can also go to jail pretty easily as well.  The problem is you get rid of one, and the next guy steps in.  Tim Duncan comes to mind with his sham of an investment advisor.  For example, my Facebook, and LinkedIn have to be complaint and every single email is tracked.  I am also not allowed to text any client unless I grant access to compliance to view it.

And there's no way anybody is more regulated than the nuclear industry but it may be over health care.  Finance is even more regulated than that believe it or not.  And it really needs to be.  I even think the exams for the credentials need to be even tougher to create a higher barrier to entry.  There are some people in my industry that give myself a bad name as we are all painted with the same brush.  I am not saying it is more complex though if you thought that.  Just more regulated.

Any way you look at it, I am just interested in helping ensure our Auburn athletes have the opportunity to learn before it gets real and real money is in their pockets.  I would consider it a great honor to help develop that program and do that in my retirement.  To know that I could help a future pro-athlete get set for life would be the best.

Edited by abw0004

26 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

TBH, I think it's a waste of time to try to teach them money management in grade school, since they have not really started to be able to be required to earn money or spend it. I do think in HS, and it's never too late in college to make every student(esp. athletes who will get money through NIL or after college), to take practical course in finance, money management, investing, loans, etc), as I think this is when they are mostly on their own, and need to know that financial base to help them with in the real world. 

I bet some colleges definitely do this, as I think this topic has been around a while with so much money out there for the athlete.

That's like saying they shouldn't be taught the Newton's third law because when will they need it. 

I'm not saying give them a full college course but they should absolutely start learning the building blocks of financial literacy. There'sliterally no down side to do it. 

25 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Any way you look at it, I am just interested in helping ensure our Auburn athletes have the opportunity to learn before it gets real and real money is in their pockets.  I would consider it a great honor to help develop that program and do that in my retirement.  To know that I could help a future pro-athlete get set for life would be the best.

I can't speak for everybody but I know there's nothing now I can comprehend that I couldn't comprehend when I was 16. I could learn whatever as long as I was taught, I just grew in maturity. 

I too have a job where I had to test and the fail rate is even higher than that, and that's just to pass to interview for the job. The training it's much harder.

And yeah we'll have to disagree it's not going to be close to as regulated as the nuclear energy industry. We're talking nuclear power here. Mess up big enough and half the country could be gone. 

As far as your conclusion paragraph you are agreeing with me, and it should be for everybody and it should be be a core curriculum you have to pass, not an elective. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

On top of being taught a history that's not entirely true and me as an minority I didn't learn anything as far as hero's of my race outside of Dr long, George Washington carver, and a few others. And this is bigger than the surface. I feel by not teaching the bad and good of the nation kids get it pounded in their head how white people are so heroic, intelligent, and admirable but you don't hear hardly anything of the other races, that has effects socially as children grow as well.

Sitting around being taught propaganda as opposed to learning about how to be financially proficient. 

Well, you should be thrilled with what the majority of grade schools, middle schools, high schools, and colleges are putting in their curriculum now.

As far as teaching how credit works and all that...I definitely think that should be started at the earliest of ages.

Edited by Tigerpro2a

5 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Well, you should be thrilled with what the majority of grade schools, middle schools, high schools, and colleges are putting in their curriculum now.

As far as teaching how credit works and all that...I definitely think that should be started at the earliest of ages.

Hopefully it's none of the Dave Ramsey non-senes

And yeah we'll have to disagree it's not going to be close to as regulated as the nuclear energy industry. We're talking nuclear power here. Mess up big enough and half the country could be gone. 

Trust me I get where you are coming from.  But money talks the most in this country.  Our leaders in this country can’t get moving on anything but when money is involved mountains are moved.  I was floored when I learned out the regulations.

I can't speak for everybody but I know there's nothing now I can comprehend that I couldn't comprehend when I was 16. I could learn whatever as long as I was taught, I just grew in maturity. 

Man if I knew as much now as I did when I was 16, I would be the ultimate ladies man in high school.

3DE835C5-5BD0-4B81-B5E4-B0D3E048DF86.gif

12 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Trust me I get where you are coming from.  But money talks the most in this country.  Our leaders in this country can’t get moving on anything but when money is involved mountains are moved.  I was floored when I learned out the regulations.

Man if I knew as much now as I did when I was 16, I would be the ultimate ladies man in high school.

3DE835C5-5BD0-4B81-B5E4-B0D3E048DF86.gif

That example as far as the ladies man that's life experience, that's not being academically trained. That's actually my point, you need to put the foundation to help avoid danger because with your credit without loop holes and sometimes even with them there aren't any oops give me a do over. As you get older you get wiser and you're less apt tomake those mistakes. You need training when you're younger. 

And yeah if you haven't ever been in a nuclear facility then you couldn't understand, it's a whole world that people don't know or think about. Energy is money. If a person could control the energy they would literally control the world.

Edited by cole256

Just now, cole256 said:

That example as far as the ladies man that's life experience, that's not being academically trained. That's actually my point, you need to put the foundation to help avoid danger because with your credit without loop holes and sometimes even with them there aren't any oops give me a do over. As you get older you get wiser and you're less apt tomake those mistakes. You need training when you're younger. 

And yeah if you haven't ever been in a nuclear facility then you couldn't understand, it's a whole world that people don't know or think about. 

I was just trying to make fun of myself, nothing more.  Don’t read into it too hard.  😆