Auburn's Outgoing Transfers

Zeek

46 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Leota is an upgrade, Fair might be an upgrade, two of the DB's are definitely an upgrade. We will be more talented on D this year then last year and will have two easier games to get used to new system. Losses on O due to graduation and NFL hurts us big time at WR and transfer at QB leaves us with little depth unless we can pull in Finley.

At this point tranfers big upgrade on D and at this time loss on O. 

Gotta agree with that. I was optimistic that remaining talent plus better scheme would offset loss of experience at WR, but evidently the staff isn't satisfied with what's left and the flip side of the improved scheme is steeper learning curve. Now, that doesn't mean we can't get better production in the passing game. It's possible that Harsin's floor, even in the first year of a rebuild, is higher than Gus's ceiling. It wouldn't take much. But for now it seems there's a void behind Seth Williams. (Maybe Schwartz and Stove, too.)

But that D... filthy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, abw0004 said:

So you do feel with the transfers we are getting we are upgrading?

100%

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Leota is an upgrade, Fair might be an upgrade, two of the DB's are definitely an upgrade. We will be more talented on D this year then last year and will have two easier games to get used to new system. Losses on O due to graduation and NFL hurts us big time at WR and transfer at QB leaves us with little depth unless we can pull in Finley.

At this point tranfers big upgrade on D and at this time loss on O. 

Do you consider Leota an upgrade over Handy or Hardy? What about Fair being an upgrade over Newkirk? Leota may be, but Handy/Hardy were both considered to be good contributors. I do not think Fair is upgrade over Newkirk by any means. the DBs I agree.

10 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Do you consider Leota an upgrade over Handy or Hardy? What about Fair being an upgrade over Newkirk? Leota may be, but Handy/Hardy were both considered to be good contributors. I do not think Fair is upgrade over Newkirk by any means. the DBs I agree.

Leota over Handy - Yes. Leota had 4 sacks last season and 2.5 as a true freshman. He has already shown on-field production. Handy was also part of the "wasn't meeting expectations group". Hard to consider this anything other than an upgrade. Northwestern beat us straight up.

Leota over Hardy - Hardy is a DT-type so there isn't much comparison here. But either way, he's done nothing on the field so far and he was also part of the "wasn't meeting expectations group". 

Fair over over Newkirk - Newkirk left on his own accord before Harsin even officially took over as he didn't want to spend his last year in a potential "rebuild". There is no comparison here because this wasn't a CHOICE of any sort on our end. But even looking past that, there is a valid argument you can make that Fair is a better NT than Newkirk would be in this new defense.

Who considered Handy and Hardy to be "good contributors"? Neither guy has done much of anything on the field and like mentioned above - they were held out of A-Day and basically processed out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, metafour said:

Who considered Handy and Hardy to be "good contributors"? Neither guy has done much of anything on the field and like mentioned above - they were held out of A-Day and basically processed out.

I believe it was a hypothetical if they were here.  i think both are very good players and will be good where they land.  If they worked out here, both would have been contributors.

25 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I believe it was a hypothetical if they were here.  i think both are very good players and will be good where they land.  If they worked out here, both would have been contributors.

Right, but you can't loop a hypothetical into an "analysis" as to whether or not we upgraded. It's like saying: if Bo Nix plays like an elite 5-star next season, then it doesn't really matter whether we get Finley or not. Under that hypothetical scenario that's true, but Nix hasn't played like an elite 5-star. And those two guys haven't performed and then essentially got processed. They may be good players elsewhere, but it's silly to question whether Leota is an upgrade over someone who hasn't even produced anything. 

Leota is an upgrade over Handy and Marcus Harris would be an upgrade over Hardy. Maybe those two blow up at Indiana and wherever Hardy ends up, but we're looking at the facts of the case as its presented today.

Edited by metafour
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, metafour said:

Leota is an upgrade over Handy and Marcus Harris would be an upgrade over Hardy. Maybe those two blow up at Indiana and wherever Hardy ends up, but we're looking at the facts of the case as its presented today.

Player vs Player, I think both that left are more talented than the two we are going to bring in.  That is the point people are trying to make.  They weren't going to be here, to your point.  So I get what you're saying

Just now, W.E.D said:

Player vs Player, I think both that left are more talented than the two we are going to bring in.  That is the point people are trying to make.  They weren't going to be here, to your point.  So I get what you're saying

Based off of what, exactly? Their star rating out of HS? Those go out the window once they hit the field, bro.

What makes them so talented? Entertain me. Did anyone even hear a peep about Hardy during the spring? The guy making the most noise was Wright before he tore his knee - a converted OL to DL.

If they were so talented, where was their production last year? Our DL for the most part was not very productive, so the opportunity was there.

I'm not arguing that they don't HAVE talent - but the statement that they are "MORE TALENTED" is complete BS. The guy who actually produces on the field is the talent, not the guy who's recruiting profile says he's "talented".

You can look at it even further: Leota transferred UP from Northwestern to Auburn. If Handy is so much more talented, why is he at Indiana? Indiana is a great school for him so I'm being facetious, but why wasn't Alabama, Georgia, etc, etc. fighting for him? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, metafour said:

Based off of what, exactly? Their star rating out of HS? Those go out the window once they hit the field, bro.

What makes them so talented? Entertain me. Did anyone even hear a peep about Hardy during the spring? The guy making the most noise was Wright before he tore his knee - a converted OL to DL.

If they were so talented, where was their production last year? Our DL for the most part was not very productive, so the opportunity was there.

I'm not arguing that they don't HAVE talent - but the statement that they are "MORE TALENTED" is complete BS. The guy who actually produces on the field is the talent, not the guy who's recruiting profile says he's "talented".

You can look at it even further: Leota transferred UP from Northwestern to Auburn. If Handy is so much more talented, why is he at Indiana? Indiana is a great school for him so I'm being facetious, but why wasn't Alabama, Georgia, etc, etc. fighting for him? 

Indiana is knocking on the door of thr top 10 in preseason rankings. At the moment he traded up. 

Just bc a kid hasn't started doesn't mean he isn't talented. I like the two transfers we are getting on the DL, we'll 3 if you count Fair. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Indiana is knocking on the door of thr top 10 in preseason rankings. At the moment he traded up. 

Just bc a kid hasn't started doesn't mean he isn't talented. I like the two transfers we are getting on the DL, we'll 3 if you count Fair. 

Are you Anthony Fauci? Maybe it's me, and I'm old, but I swear you can support  both sides of an issue as easily as he does. Pardon the political reference, mods. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 2

6 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

Are you Anthony Fauci? Maybe it's me, and I'm old, but I swear you can support  both sides of an issue as easily as he does. Pardon the political reference, mods. 

I'm sorry I can comprehend two side an argument. 

Just now, JuscAUse! said:

Right. 

Glad we agree 😀

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Glad we agree 😀

Either that or I'm eating a rack of the best ribs I ever smoked along with my wife's almost world famous bbq beans and cole slaw. Arguments no longer matter.....WDE. 👍

30 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

Either that or I'm eating a rack of the best ribs I ever smoked along with my wife's almost world famous bbq beans and cole slaw. Arguments no longer matter.....WDE. 👍

Sounds good. You're making a mess of your phone typing whilst eating ribs

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, metafour said:

Right, but you can't loop a hypothetical into an "analysis" as to whether or not we upgraded. It's like saying: if Bo Nix plays like an elite 5-star next season, then it doesn't really matter whether we get Finley or not. Under that hypothetical scenario that's true, but Nix hasn't played like an elite 5-star. And those two guys haven't performed and then essentially got processed. They may be good players elsewhere, but it's silly to question whether Leota is an upgrade over someone who hasn't even produced anything. 

Not sure I see the analysis. Leota for the most part played against competition that I would consider less than what he will face here. It is hypothetical at the moment to say he was an upgrade. The last time we took a starter from Indiana he couldn’t sniff the field here. UAB had 3 DL get post season honors. Fair was not one of them. It has been stated by WDE that the coaches at UAB considered him lazy. Hypothetical is thinking this guy is going to change in his fourth year of college ball. I just don’t see the upgrades in these. DB maybe so. The issue comes back to Harsin. Big time P5 recruits and transfers do not know who he is. I

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Gotta agree with that. I was optimistic that remaining talent plus better scheme would offset loss of experience at WR, but evidently the staff isn't satisfied with what's left and the flip side of the improved scheme is steeper learning curve. Now, that doesn't mean we can't get better production in the passing game. It's possible that Harsin's floor, even in the first year of a rebuild, is higher than Gus's ceiling. It wouldn't take much. But for now it seems there's a void behind Seth Williams. (Maybe Schwartz and Stove, too.)

But that D... filthy

Yep, D is looking good. But, like many, I've felt for a while that the biggest needs are at every position on the O, except TE. And we have yet to address. I wouldn't be shocked to see some good news on that front soon. Would be another good early sign. I'll have a bit of concern if not. 

• Like 2

I didn’t know where else to drop this, so I am putting it here.  Two Auburn transfers made the Top 100 Transfer list:

47CC8344-5F3E-4018-B41A-1E21CCDE697F.jpeg

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I didn’t know where else to drop this, so I am putting it here.  Two Auburn transfers made the Top 100 Transfer list:

47CC8344-5F3E-4018-B41A-1E21CCDE697F.jpeg

I posted yesterday in the recruiting forum under transfer 

Edited by toddc
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, metafour said:

I feel like we upgraded. I would take Fair over Newkirk from what I have seen. Handy vs Leota I am not sure on. I don't think we downgraded, but not sure if it was an upgrade or not. I am happy with Leota coming in though. We definitely upgraded in the secondary. 

11 hours ago, cbo said:

Yep, D is looking good. But, like many, I've felt for a while that the biggest needs are at every position on the O, except TE. And we have yet to address. I wouldn't be shocked to see some good news on that front soon. Would be another good early sign. I'll have a bit of concern if not. 

I think that's the most sensible stance. Until we're good, we're not. 

I lean optimistic at this stage, but that's more emotional than logical. It does makes more sense to me for recruits on offense to be in more of a wait and see approach with our program and staff. And if they don't shore it up this cycle, I won't be too concerned. But I'll want to see a big step forward in the next cycle and I'll want us to be at least nipping at our rivals' heels and beating them for a couple big names by the 2023 cycle. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, W.E.D said:

1) Indiana finished 6-2 and then lost in their Bowl game to Ole Miss - a team that we actually BEAT last season with our not-good team. The year prior they were 8-5. Let's pump the breaks a little bit here and come back down to reality. Tom Allen is doing great things and Handy made a great decision going there, but Indiana is NOT an "upgrade" over a traditional SEC power. The fact that they might rank higher in a "preseason poll" means literally nothing in this discussion. That would be as silly as suggesting that in 2017 when UCF finished 6th and Florida didn't make the final Top 25 that a hypothetical transfer from Florida to UCF would be "trading up". 

2) I literally said in my post that I wasn't discounting that he and Hardy had "talent". The challenge, which you have NOT met - is the stance that they are MORE talented. I asked you outright why you think that is the case. Neither guy has done much of anything on the field and neither guy was seen as "talented enough" to warrant not processing off the team this spring. The guys we brought in HAVE shown ability on the field. So apart from recruiting rankings, you aren't basing your stance on anything tangible. Is Bo Nix more talented than Trey Lance? 

21 minutes ago, metafour said:

1) Indiana finished 6-2 and then lost in their Bowl game to Ole Miss - a team that we actually BEAT last season with our not-good team. The year prior they were 8-5. Let's pump the breaks a little bit here and come back down to reality. Tom Allen is doing great things and Handy made a great decision going there, but Indiana is NOT an "upgrade" over a traditional SEC power. The fact that they might rank higher in a "preseason poll" means literally nothing in this discussion. That would be as silly as suggesting that in 2017 when UCF finished 6th and Florida didn't make the final Top 25 that a hypothetical transfer from Florida to UCF would be "trading up". 

2) I literally said in my post that I wasn't discounting that he and Hardy had "talent". The challenge, which you have NOT met - is the stance that they are MORE talented. I asked you outright why you think that is the case. Neither guy has done much of anything on the field and neither guy was seen as "talented enough" to warrant not processing off the team this spring. The guys we brought in HAVE shown ability on the field. So apart from recruiting rankings, you aren't basing your stance on anything tangible. Is Bo Nix more talented than Trey Lance? 

I'm just telling you the current perspective of Indiana versus us.  they are a borderline top 10 team going into next season.

It's a subjective opinion.  there isn't any definitive stat right now that a bunch of players are better than each other.  They also played behind more talented people than KU and Northwestern.  Again, just b/c you haven't done a lot in your fresh/soph year on a good SEC defense doesn't mean you aren't good.

One was a RS Freshman who played one game b/c he didn't need to play.  The other has been behind Big Kat and a few others his short two years.  Just b/c these kids were on weak teams and they have some small stats doesn't mean they are better than kids in the SEC that haven't played b/c of depth.

Is Bo Nix better than Bryce Young b/c he threw some TDs?

Edited by W.E.D