Auburn's Outgoing Transfers

Zeek

13 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

Not sure I see the analysis. Leota for the most part played against competition that I would consider less than what he will face here. It is hypothetical at the moment to say he was an upgrade.

This is bunk deflection. "He played competition less than what he will face here" - he posted sacks against Wisconsin and Iowa, two teams that are known for extremely strong OL year in and year out (on top of being legitimate football schools). Wisconsin beats us pretty much every time they play us. Do you consider that every team we play to be "elite"? We played South Carolina who was garbage and Handy/Hardy did nothing in that game.

The last line is just total absurdity: you think it's "hypothetical" to consider a player who has actually performed in a P5 conference as an upgrade over a player who has done basically nothing? Eku Leota's 4 sacks last year would tie him for FIRST on our team. And he didn't even play in the Bowl game against us in which he probably could have recorded another 1+ sacks against our garbage OL. 

The last time we took a starter from Indiana he couldn’t sniff the field here.

Not relevant at all to the discussion. Northwestern had two players drafted in the 1st round - had they hypothetically transferred into Auburn prior to 2020, would they be "upgrades"? Players transfer up and succeed every single year. They also go straight to the NFL from programs far below "Auburn" - so what is your point? 

It has been stated by WDE that the coaches at UAB considered him lazy. Hypothetical is thinking this guy is going to change in his fourth year of college ball.

This is cute. The two players from Auburn who transferred out that are in discussion - Handy and Hardy - fall in that EXACT SAME category. Except unlike Fair, they actually haven't done ANYTHING yet. "Lazy" Tony Fair had a field day against the same Tennessee OL that absolutely demolished us last year. Tony Fair's "laziness" is play-to-play consistency as is the case with most giant DT's. The two guys from Auburn literally got held out of A-Day after Harsin went on record about certain players not even showing up to practise, but unlike Fair, they haven't even accomplished anything on the field yet. "Lazy" Tony Fair also had offers from Michigan and Ole Miss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Side note, I think our best DT from the 19/20 class is Zykeivous Walker.  That kids is beast.  Pretty sure he has just 9 tackles in his short 1 year career.

He's going to be an elite DT for us and with worse stats than the Kansas kid...I don't think going out on a limb saying Zykeivous is better than Marcus Harris

14 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

Hypothetical is thinking this guy is going to change in his fourth year of college ball.

Technically you're right, but this isn't just his fourth year of ball. This is his money year. He's going to have an NFL coach yelling in his year every day that if he puts in the work, he's going to be a millionaire this time next year. Dude has a kid. It's not uncommon at all for guys to have a light go on in his exact situation. Nick Fairley has been mentioned before in reference to Fair because he's one such example. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, metafour said:

This is cute. The two players from Auburn who transferred out that are in discussion - Handy and Hardy - fall in that EXACT SAME category. Except unlike Fair, they actually haven't done ANYTHING yet. "Lazy" Tony Fair had a field day against the same Tennessee OL that absolutely demolished us last year. Tony Fair's "laziness" is play-to-play consistency as is the case with most giant DT's. The two guys from Auburn literally got held out of A-Day after Harsin went on record about certain players not even showing up to practise, but unlike Fair, they haven't even accomplished anything on the field yet. "Lazy" Tony Fair also had offers from Michigan and Ole Miss.

I'm not sure why it is OK to admit we took a guy that might have some issues, but that also has potential.

It's ok to be critical of something Auburn did.  Just b/c Fair hasn't been lazy at Auburn, doesn't mean he's not lazy.  He could be like Nick Fairely and needs motivation to beast for a full year vs just a handful of plays.

Tennessee's OL was a disaster last year.  Anyone watching saw that.  I'm not sure if it was coaching, scheme, players not giving a damn.  But they had a ton of talent and were terrible. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Nick Fairley has been mentioned before in reference to Fair because he's one such example. 

Get out of my head!!

20 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'm just telling you the current perspective of Indiana versus us.  they are a borderline top 10 team going into next season.

But that is irrelevant to the stance that transferring from Auburn to Indiana is now an "upgrade". Absolutely no one would consider that to be true, not even Alabama fans LOL.

It's a subjective opinion.  there isn't any definitive stat right now that a bunch of players are better than each other.  They also played behind more talented people than KU and Northwestern.  Again, just b/c you haven't done a lot in your fresh/soph year on a good SEC defense doesn't mean you aren't good.

It's a subjective opinion that isn't backed by anything other than you guessing. Certainly not backed by anything that has actually happened on the football field. Bryan Harsin brought one guy in and told the other guy to leave - seems to me it should be obvious which one he thinks is "talented". Northwestern had a better season than us, killed us on the field, and killed us in the draft - so I'd go easy in playing the "oh but these are just bad teams with no talent" schtick. 

And AGAIN - I literally never said they weren't good or can't be good. How dense are you? You are literally Mikey 2.0. 

One was a RS Freshman who played one game b/c he didn't need to play.  The other has been behind Big Kat and a few others his short two years.  Just b/c these kids were on weak teams and they have some small stats doesn't mean they are better than kids in the SEC that haven't played b/c of depth.

Big Kat Bryant sucks. That's your argument? Leota had more sacks than he did. So the guy who "isn't an upgrade" was actually a better pass rusher than the guy who you just told me prevented Handy from getting on the field. You just tanked your own stance. They also didn't play because they were behind Derick Hall, Colby Wooden, and Zykevious Walker - three players who are just as young, but vastly superior. 

By the way, the kid from Kansas has LSU and Texas A&M offers on top of Auburn and Tennessee. Were LSU and A&M after Handy (I doubt it - otherwise why is he at Indiana, or is Indiana an "upgrade" there as well)? I haven't heard a peep about Hardy and interest from elite teams. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Tennessee's OL was a disaster last year.  Anyone watching saw that.  I'm not sure if it was coaching, scheme, players not giving a damn.  But they had a ton of talent and were terrible. 

They were a disaster and yet they mauled us up and down the field the entire game. Against the same DL players we're talking about in this thread who did nothing against Tennessee, or against any other team for that matter. The same ones who we supposedly didn't "upgrade" by replacing.

• Like 3

Tennessee's OL whipped OUR DL in 2020. And it's not even close. Through the eye test, and in the box score. The ONLY reason we won is because of Monday's 100 yd int return, and Tennessee's FG kicker missed 2 out of 3. If UT's OL was so bad, why didn't AU's DL perform better? Gave up 28 first downs (3 by penalty). Gray rushed for 173 yards on us. Funny how Hardy and Handy for being so 'talented' out of HS couldn't get more PT equal to, or ahead of the teammates who were outdone by UT. At least Fair did SOMETHING, in practice, to get on the field, and actually did SOMETHING on the field after he got there. What good is it if guys are so 'talented' on paper out of HS, but don't do squat after they get here? At least Fair has SOMETHING to show for his efforts. Some people are stuck on high school 'star' ratings until their dying breath. Even after the players in question allegedly don't show up for practice, and never lived up to the hype. LOL.

https://auburntigers.com/documents/2020/11/25//07_Auburn_Tennessee_Final_Book.pdf

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, metafour said:

Big Kat Bryant sucks.

Player is awesome

13 tackles, 4 sacks, 1FF

Player sucks

17 tacks, 3 sacks, 1INT

I'm going to take your arguments serious if this is your analysis.

21 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

At least Fair has SOMETHING to show for his efforts.

And this is where I'm going to bring up Eason's NFL creds again. Dude knows what an NFL NT looks like. Maybe we should trust the process on this one. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Player is awesome

13 tackles, 4 sacks, 1FF

Player sucks

17 tacks, 3 sacks, 1INT

True Sophomore vs. a Senior. Context, my guy.

Now explain to me how Jaren Handy couldn't get on the field because of Big Kat Bryant, but a guy we brought in who actually had MORE sacks than Big Kat Bryant isn't an upgrade over Jaren Handy.

You haven't made one convincing point this entire topic. Our pass-rush was actually horsehit last season, so there was all the opportunity in the world for these "talented" guys to get on the field and show SOMETHING. Owen Pappoe tied for the team lead in sacks last season - out of necessity because the DL was pretty useless in that regard for most of the games we played.

Your points don't even line up. Oh Tony Fair only did good against Tennessee because their OL sucks. But yet Tennessee's s***ty OL basically mopped the floor with these same players you're now flailing around trying to convince me are more talented than guys we brought in who have actually done SOMETHING on the field. You've even resulted to garbage takes about how good Northwestern or Kansas are - as if we're loaded top to bottom with proven DL talent, when if you actually watched a single game last season you'd know that our DL underperformed the entire year. Completely tip-toeing past the fact that Marcus Harris is being pursued by not only us, but Texas A&M and LSU as well - whereas our "more talented" guy ended up at powerhouse Indiana. The other guy (Hardy) hasn't even landed anywhere yet.

Oh, and these two guys - Handy and Hardy - were here all spring as well and didn't make much of an impression either. Or I guess they did make an impression in the sense that they were pushed out of the program by the head coach who literally saw them day in and day out and wasn't impressed.

Edited by metafour

2 minutes ago, metafour said:

True Sophomore vs. a Senior. Context, my guy.

One is also an Edge vs a SDE

Talk about missing context. 

Also RS Soph vs True Sr. So 3 vs 4 years. Not a huge gap

Edited by W.E.D

2 minutes ago, metafour said:

Or I guess they did make an impression in the sense that they pushed out of the program by the head coach who literally saw them day in and day out. 

I mean, this is all that matters. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I mean, this is all that matters. 

I think you can be a really good player and have talent, being in your current location isn't a good fit and you need growing up.

Consider our last Heisman trophy winner, the last QB who took us to the Natty and the last decent QB were ALL in that situation I think we can understand. 

Cam and Nick needed a change of scenery and needed to be humbled a bit and grow up. 

They can be extremely talented and just not a fit for our current staff/culture/etc. 

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I think you can be a really good player and have talent, being in your current location isn't a good fit and you need growing up.

Consider our last Heisman trophy winner, the last QB who took us to the Natty and the last decent QB were ALL in that situation I think we can understand. 

Cam and Nick needed a change of scenery and needed to be humbled a bit and grow up. 

They can be extremely talented and just not a fit for our current staff/culture/etc. 

Yes. Nick had to 'grow up' because he wanted to be a QB and not a DB behind 4 year starter Aaron Murray at uga. Cam had to 'grow up' because Tebow, who won the Heisman Trophy as a sophomore,  was in his way.

Edited by slyinsocal

48 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Yes. Nick had to 'grow up' because he wanted to be a QB and not a DB behind 4 year starter Aaron Murray at uga. Cam had to 'grow up' because Tebow, who won the Heisman Trophy as a sophomore,  was in his way.

Tim Tebow as in the NFL the 1st year he started at Auburn.  If he stated at UF the path was the same, except he had some stolen goods, needed to grow up and had to leave the school.

Both had to leave their first schools and were very good here.  That's the point, there could be a variety of reasons you leave.  Doesn't mean you aren't a very good talent.  The situation wasn't right.  Handy/Hardy didn't fit into what was currently asked of them.

Edited by W.E.D

My hat is off to some of you guys who try to discuss things logically with some of these posters. Y'all have enough patience to have been special education teachers.🧐

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

My hat is off to some of you guys who try to discuss things logically with some of these posters. Y'all have enough patience to have been special education teachers.🧐

:rimshot:

22 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I mean, they kinda are being special ed teachers right now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

This is where my healthcare background comes in, but even that has it's limits!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is where my healthcare background comes in, but even that has it's limits!

Truly can't imagine.

Thank a healthcare worker today, fam.

• Love 1

This lacks context and I'm sure could be picked apart. 

Still, give me production over assumed talent any day. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

On 4/25/2021 at 11:15 PM, Mikey said:

While you're here in the football forum, explain the "process" whereby we are going to add seven more football transfers when only three slots remain. :) :) :) .

This is aging well...

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Player is awesome

13 tackles, 4 sacks, 1FF

Player sucks

17 tacks, 3 sacks, 1INT

Imagine if you added in how many games they played and watched game film.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Imagine if you added in how many games they played and watched game film.

8 games vs 9. So we'll give him 4.5 sacks vs 3. Edge vs SDE

Big Kat was OK, nothing special. You can't say someone is awful and they have a near identical stat line of the guy you praise, especially when they are an Edge rusher vs a SDE. 

I like the transfer. But make better comparisons vs a multi year starter who has been pretty solid vs much better competition, that don't even play the same position. 

I like all of our transfers so far. Only thr CMU RB is the only one I'm hesitant on. I think they can all be pretty good. 

Hall will be the starter. Moultry is an unknown. Then a couple RS Freshman 

Edited by W.E.D