Our guys are getting sponsors already

WFE12

2 hours ago, AUBourne said:

I dont think anyone is defending the NCAA in how they arbitrarily hand out punishment. In fact the criticism is just growing.  The intent of the organization is to make sure college sports is fair competition.  They can no longer even pretend to do that. 

When the rules were that players had to be amateur the NCAA had an actual measurement to apply.  

Any plan that AU can come up with can be copied and doubled by schools like Texas, UCLA. Florida, Penn State, Ohio State or Central Florida that have more alumni, businesses etc. People thinking that a handful of elite boosters are going to sustain the program by paying hundreds of thousands dollars to each of the 85 football players and 15 basketball players every year are still thinking like it's 1980. Gone are the days of buying a 5 star QB and 5 star DL with a one time payment to a coach or parent and then building a class around them. 

Every university has rich mega donors that will cancel each other out.  But not every school has 50 thousand students and is surrounded by millions of people to sweeten the pot.  And not every school is the one and only power school in state. Thus the sponsor money is not equal.  Imagine for example Florida Gator Lottery tickets that every UF player gets a share of. How does Auburn counter? 

Ok so NIL is about the players being able to sign endorsement deals and make money off their likeness. Its not a free for all for boosters and people to start funneling money to the players under the table. So the scenario that you outlined above is still just as against the rules today as it was last week. 

And its not just about the size of the alumni base and the town the school is located in. It will be based on which schools have the most invested fans. Thats great if UCF has 5 million alumni and resides in a town of 2 million people...if they have 10k showing up for football games each Saturday are you really worried about their players getting better deals than ours when we have 70k fans showing up every Saturday? Marketing is about reach and there has to be interest to get the reach. If i'm deciding who to invest in i'm investing in the product that has the most eyes on it. 

And you know what....if UCF businesses start investing money to pull better recruits and the team gets better and builds a fan base and they start to compete for national championships then great for them!! I don't see the problem there. If they are taking recruits from my team then that just means we have to step it up. 

I'm sure there will be bad situations that come out of this. Players that sign places cause they got paid and it doesn't work out. What happens when a 5* signs a deal and does not play immediately and gets dropped?? That will be a bad look for all involved. Lots to be worried about with this but AU becoming irrelevant is not at the top of my lists of worries. 

On 7/1/2021 at 11:56 AM, WFE12 said:

Welp it's time

Bye 

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

This is basketball, but an example of a big deal already:

Having master P as a father.....so lucky. He's one of the best business men alive. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, DAG said:

Malzahn is to Mikey, what Lebron is to Skip Bayless

Dude loves him some Malzahn.  It is hilarious how this guy lives rent free in his head. He couldn't wait to make a reference about him, but will be offended, if you respond to thus reference.

I also like the SKY IS FALLING scenarios he throws out there

1. Oh know this will cause a schism between players

Now, it is Auburn can't compete with this. Then the extremes. We want top 3. Shut up man, lol.

*LeBron is to Shannon

Skip hates on LeBron every chance he gets

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AUBourne said:

You seemed to be very confused.  The fairness aspect is in regards to competition between teams.  Keeping a level playing field. Where teams succeed based on things other than who can pay the most. So yeah that is simple. Making it happen and enforcement of rules has never been clear or equal.

The NCAA will still try and control and stop a direct pay to play system. But the way unscrupulous boosters and coaches act won't change. To think otherwise is hilarious.  They just made it easier. 

You seem to try to paint a picture that nobody understands but you......no I'm not confused about anything besides the fact you're trying to pretend that Auburn won't be able to compete with other colleges now

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm just confused as to why any adult has a problem that the kids are now able to get revenue. As if it hurts any of you at all. I have yet to see anyone have an intelligent thought as far as a downside to it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I'm just confused as to why any adult has a problem that the kids are now able to get revenue. As if it hurts any of you at all. I have yet to see anyone have an intelligent thought as far as a downside to it. 

If there is a downside it will show up as this thing takes hold and grows.

I see nothing but good things for the player, and the problems will be minor.

I do see a new level of problems, in making sure what is allowable is legit. Anytime there are new ways to make money or offer money, there are those who will bend the rules if any of these players are in competition for who recruits them, and offers them the best monetary deals.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

*LeBron is to Shannon

Skip hates on LeBron every chance he gets

What I meant by that is Skip brings Lebron up in every conversation, no matter the context. It can be a discussion about bucks vs Hawks and somehow he will introduce Lebron into the mix. Mikey does this but then gets mad when people start to pile on him . There was no reason to bring Gus Into this conversation IMO.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, DAG said:

What I meant by that is Skip brings Lebron up in every conversation, no matter the context. It can be a discussion about bucks vs Hawks and somehow he will introduce Lebron into the mix. Mikey does this but then gets mad when people start to pile on him . There was no reason to bring Gus Into this conversation IMO.

Ahhh gotcha. My apologies. I was thinking being a fan boy. Thanks for the correction.

• Like 1

The updike responses are typical but it's a nice article. 

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2021/07/why-milos-sweet-tea-chose-bo-nix.html

“Bo had reached out to us because Bo loves our tea,” said Milo’s Sweet Tea brand director Alison Pierce. “We loved to hear that, and Bo is from Birmingham and we’re from Birmingham and we’re both national brands.

“It felt like a natural fit. Our brand stands for authenticity, and it felt very authentic that Bo was already a fan.”

And that’s the God’s honest truth of how the endorsement deal between Milo’s Sweet Tea and Auburn quarterback Bo Nix became the biggest story nationally on one of the biggest mornings in the history of college athletics. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gravejd said:

Ok so NIL is about the players being able to sign endorsement deals and make money off their likeness. Its not a free for all for boosters and people to start funneling money to the players under the table. So the scenario that you outlined above is still just as against the rules today as it was last week. 

And its not just about the size of the alumni base and the town the school is located in. It will be based on which schools have the most invested fans. Thats great if UCF has 5 million alumni and resides in a town of 2 million people...if they have 10k showing up for football games each Saturday are you really worried about their players getting better deals than ours when we have 70k fans showing up every Saturday? Marketing is about reach and there has to be interest to get the reach. If i'm deciding who to invest in i'm investing in the product that has the most eyes on it. 

And you know what....if UCF businesses start investing money to pull better recruits and the team gets better and builds a fan base and they start to compete for national championships then great for them!! I don't see the problem there. If they are taking recruits from my team then that just means we have to step it up. 

I'm sure there will be bad situations that come out of this. Players that sign places cause they got paid and it doesn't work out. What happens when a 5* signs a deal and does not play immediately and gets dropped?? That will be a bad look for all involved. Lots to be worried about with this but AU becoming irrelevant is not at the top of my lists of worries. 

Nah putting their faces on advertising, on the tickets, commercials, etc and getting paid for the use of their likeness to market is what they were given. The University and boosters can't give money directly is the biggest restraint. But bending that rule is so easy. 

BTW UCF fan support is really good for the competition they are bringing in. With the new playoff coming it sets up nicely for them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Who is Skip? Why are you mentioning him in the AU football forum? Am I the one who brought Coach Malzahn up in this thread? Possibly. I supported him while he was here and that's nothing to be ashamed of.

18 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Who is Skip? Why are you mentioning him in the AU football forum? Am I the one who brought Coach Malzahn up in this thread? Possibly. I supported him while he was here and that's nothing to be ashamed of.

You also said weeks ago, verbatim “why keep bringing him up, he doesn’t coach here anymore, he lives in yall’s head”. Yet you brought him up in a thread where he was never even mentioned trying to defend him, when nobody was even talking about gus 

Edit: I’m still waiting for the response post to “gus never finished lower than 24” when even by the site you linked, it showed it was false

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

You also said weeks ago, verbatim “why keep bringing him up, he doesn’t coach here anymore, he lives in yall’s head”. Yet you brought him up in a thread where he was never even mentioned trying to defend him, when nobody was even talking about gus 

Edit: I’m still waiting for the response post to “gus never finished lower than 24” when even by the site you linked, it showed it was false

23 hours ago, you posted that it was said that AU couldn't compete as a top 20 team under the NIL rules. I posted that we had been competing as a top 20 team under Malzahn and nobody was satisfied with that. That's why he's gone now. If you think that stating that we weren't satisfied with top-20 finishes is somehow glorifying Coach Malzahn, you need help.

I'm puzzled by your findings on the site. I'll go back and look. Either I mis-read it or you mis-read it.

20 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I took a third look at the listings. I mis-read it. Three of Gus's eight years, (2015, '18 and '20) his Auburn team was not ranked at the end of the season.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mikey said:

23 hours ago, you posted that it was said that AU couldn't compete as a top 20 team under the NIL rules. I posted that we had been competing as a top 20 team under Malzahn and nobody was satisfied with that. That's why he's gone now. If you think that stating that we weren't satisfied with top-20 finishes is somehow glorifying Coach Malzahn, you need help.

I'm puzzled by your findings on the site. I'll go back and look. Either I mis-read it or you mis-read it.

If you can continue to spin it the way that you do, you need help. Honestly, you seem like a troll sometimes with your takes. Considering that almost 40% of his 8 year career we didn’t finish in the top 25 for a top 10 paid football coach, yes, I’d say we weren’t satisfied. You adamantly defended gus after “misreading” an article. You have taken pot shots at the fan base, pot shots at the staff taking over, I really don’t see how you don’t see this in yourself, everyone else does. Nobody brought up gus here but you, and you did it for a reason, after you’ve chastised other members of the fan base for  gus “living rent free in their heads” since his dismissal. I guess you or any other of the people that want to constantly paint gus in a positive light are the only people allowed to bring him up, even if he isn’t even mentioned in said conversation.

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

TJ Finley and JJ Evans have signed with PSD Underwear.

Zakoby McClain and Roger McCreary have signed with Fly Supply Clothing 

Desmond Tisdol joined Yoke gaming as well

Shivers and Brandon Council are working with the Locked on Auburn podcast.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Women's Golf, Mychael O'Berry signed with Barstool Sports

• Like 3

Yesterday I actually took the time to read the legal disclosures for Yoke and am not that impressed.  It isn’t really a sponsor per say.  It’s a platform that anyone can join and you charge people to play video games with you and Yoke gets a cut.  It is similar to Cameo.  I would prefer people like Shivers just do it through their Instagram so they keep all of the fee.  He earned it.  I also think Shivers can get a big time sponsor like Gatorade with their history of sponsoring sprinters.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, gravejd said:

There is no way to control boosters under these rules. For example Matt Corral (Ole Miss) is charging $10K an hour via Dreamfield. Every high school recruit will be looking for similar.  They can sell blocks of time to "hang out" or play video games and any amount of payoff is fair game. 

Edited by AUBourne
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2021 at 5:08 PM, augolf1716 said:

Happy birthday Zeek

my birthday is aug 16. i would really love an old golf ball signed golf to go in my legends collection. laugh if ya want to you guys already know i am crazy..............

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUBourne said:

There is no way to control boosters under these rules. For example Matt Corral (Ole Miss) is charging $10K an hour via Dreamfield. Every high school recruit will be looking for similar.  They can sell blocks of time to "hang out" or play video games and any amount of payoff is fair game. 

if i could afford it i would buy an hour of that alabama player worm trucked just so i could ask him over and over how it feels to get trucked like that. anyone think i could make it the hour? lol

Edited by aubiefifty
  • Haha 3

It doesn't have to be complicated. A player gets photos of himself in uniform and sells copies for, say, $1,000 each online. Designated boosters buy ten each. Every month. All legal. That's fine for the starting QB but I don't see it working for the 3rd string safety.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

You , you are the Skip Bayless of this forum. I don’t know why you want to bring Gus Malzahn into your wildly descriptive scenarios regarding this topic. Of course like a hypocrite , if someone would trash him , you would be all over it , saying how they have mental issues because they can’t get over him, yet you are the one ruminating over him. Hmmm

• Facepalm 2