29-33 There's a problem here

shabby

Zone coverage with zero pressure gives this result every time. If people want to fix the secondary, fix the rush. Its nearly impossible to cover anyone for 4+ seconds.  IMO, the biggest issue defensively all night was the lack of pressure from the front and the lack of blitzing to supplement it by Mason

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, DAG said:

Bend don’t break mentality and not enough pass rush

Early in the game, the Penn State QB had what seemed like all day (around 7 or 8 seconds) on this pass. (Link time cued to 14 seconds.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CleCoTiger said:

Early in the game, the Penn State QB had what seemed like all day (around 7 or 8 seconds) on this pass. (Link time cued to 14 seconds.)

Yep, Impossible to cover that long. 

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Zone coverage with zero pressure gives this result every time. If people want to fix the secondary, fix the rush. Its nearly impossible to cover anyone for 4+ seconds.  IMO, the biggest issue defensively all night was the lack of pressure from the front and the lack of blitzing to supplement it by Mason

On one play the QB stood in the pocket for 7 or 8 seconds..and people are complaining about the dbs .. no one can cover that long. I also thought that we looked lost in regards to the tight end and not being able to locate him.  but play calling was bad on both sides last night. I give props to the Penn State OC dude called a good game against us. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Easy to see early on that the lack of pass rush was was going to be our downfall. PS quarterback could have dressed out in a tuxedo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Absolutely 0 pressure on the QB & that bend don’t break $hit tired of it already, reminds me of Ted Roof. Gave them 10 yard cushions all night until the 4th. 5 yards. 20 yards. 40 yards. 5 yards, etc. All night. IMO, DM lost this game on D. Their QB was supposed to be a weakness & we made him look all Big 10. We saw the warning signs the first 2 games, the concerns were confirmed to be 100% spot on. If Mason doesn’t change that soft zone we will continue to get ate alive. Ready to come home & rewatch it on TV to see things I missed. 

Imagine how many Ole Miss hangs on this defense, if we don't change.

Get a calculator out.

7 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

Not sure all this falls on Mason. There wasn't much of a pass rush under Steele the last 2 years either. The few times we did try to blitz, Penn State picked it up and burned us.

Yes it does. When you blitz you have to coordinate back end coverage. You can’t play soft zone and blitz. The QB will be able to dump the ball off resulting in no sacks and positive plays. When all you need is 2-3 yds for a first down the blitz becomes useless.  The dbs must play tighter coverage for a 2-3 seconds so the qb has nowhere to go with the ball.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Absolutely 0 pressure on the QB & that bend don’t break $hit tired of it already, reminds me of Ted Roof. Gave them 10 yard cushions all night until the 4th. 5 yards. 20 yards. 40 yards. 5 yards, etc. All night. IMO, DM lost this game on D. Their QB was supposed to be a weakness & we made him look all Big 10. We saw the warning signs the first 2 games, the concerns were confirmed to be 100% spot on. If Mason doesn’t change that soft zone we will continue to get ate alive. Ready to come home & rewatch it on TV to see things I missed. 

100% agree.  Why we are the ONLY team I watched yesterday whose defensive backs NEVER look for the ball is beyond belief.  I played high school db and we were taught that after a couple of seconds the BALL IS IN THE AIR!  How many times do we give up a completion or a PI because our db doesn’t look for the ball? Especially on a fade or long pass. And how do you play a zone and basically ignore a tight end that’s is literally 10 feet away uncovered? When we ran that play last night the PSU guy had a pick he just dropped it. We NEVER have a db who jumps the route. Why? I thought we had stud dbs.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, shabby said:

and this stat is not an aberation.

Akron threw 22 completions out of 27 attempts.

Alabama State: 19 out of 29 attempts.

all together opposing qb's are completing 78.6% of passes. that's bad

PSU (29 of 33)!

I just can't believe we are this bad talent wise. The DC and his assistants have to come up with a plan to scheme around some of our weaknesses. Isn't that

what good coaches do? Almost (80) % completion rate after three games and two of those weren't competitive!

• Like 1

That one play where Clifford had 10 seconds was infuriating. I had my eyes on Moultry and it was like he want even trying to get off his block. Just danced around. We need pass rush help badly if we don't want to get completely picked apart

I was expecting busts but they came at crucial times. Letting that TE break it and uncovered was critical. I expected more of our defense. We are going to have to improve or we are trouble. Let's get some pass rush . 

• Like 1

They came back to the TE multiple times and he was never covered AT ALL. I don’t know who was supposed to account for him but it looked like he was “out to practice early” as Bear used to say.

11 hours ago, shabby said:

and this stat is not an aberation.

Akron threw 22 completions out of 27 attempts.

Alabama State: 19 out of 29 attempts.

all together opposing qb's are completing 78.6% of passes. that's bad

There it is in a nutshell. Last night was not a one-game aberration, it's been going on all season. Some were concerned about what Akron and Al. State did, others blew it off because we won anyway. Some adjustments had to be made before we encountered a major opponent and none were made. Now, we have one more "practice game" to get this fixed. If we don't find a solution it's going to be a very long, disappointing season.We aren't likely to beat an SEC opponent if we allow them to complete 80% of their passes.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There it is in a nutshell. Last night was not a one-game aberration, it's been going on all season. Some were concerned about what Akron and Al. State did, others blew it off because we won anyway. Some adjustments had to be made before we encountered a major opponent and none were made. Now, we have one more "practice game" to get this fixed. 

During the season everyone knows I pick AU to win every game. But preseason, I said our Tigers would be 3-1 after Georgia State en route to a 6-6 or maybe a 7-5 season. What I saw in the Penn State game doesn't change that. Now. LSU's struggles and aTm's offensive ineptitude were things I didn't figure on so maybe it turns out better. Then again, I didn't think Arkansas would look as good as they have. Anyway, I said 3-1 after next week and our Tigers are right on schedule...

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There it is in a nutshell. Last night was not a one-game aberration, it's been going on all season. Some were concerned about what Akron and Al. State did, others blew it off because we won anyway. Some adjustments had to be made before we encountered a major opponent and none were made. Now, we have one more "practice game" to get this fixed. If we don't find a solution it's going to be a very long, disappointing season.We aren't likely to beat an SEC opponent if we allow them to complete 80% of their passes.

We've got to find a way to get pressure on the QB.  Whether by blitz, twist or stunts it's got to happen.  If we can that will automatically improve coverage and increase turn over possibilities.  If we can't it's gonna be a long miserable season.

10 hours ago, au302 said:

I like Mason, but he deserves his share of criticism too. Soft play calling, no blitzes, and hell bent with zone despite having personnel suited for press man. He got completely out coached tonight imo. No way around it. The stat in the title tells us all we need to know. The crazy thing is that the lack of pass rush and zone busts was an issue from the first quarter but no adjustments

Three teams completing 78% of their passes, he’s been horrible all year.  Last night, he was embarrassed.  I’m a layman and could see how they exploited the zones.  Picked apart the seams.  Beautifully.  And that’s with Sean Clifford.  

Edited by MaitlandTiger
Misspelled word
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, AuMarine said:

When the DL can not pressure the qb our secondary will look like this every single time. The qb could have made a sandwich and ate it back there. It is not reasonable to think we can cover guys all night long while the qb just stands there surveying the field. several times I saw the receivers come back to him and work themselves open. And we all saw the tight end exploiting our defense. We have a lot of work to do on both sides of the ball. 

3 pass rushers will always have problems pressing the QB against 5 blockers…every time. It’s a scheme problem.

15 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Tonight was an embarrassment for our secondary.

Nobody can cover for 20 seconds each play. I don't fault the secondary at all for last night. Wholly on lack of pass rush. 

7 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

They aren't even trying to rush. I'm nearly positive they were scared of him running and didn't think he could beat us with his arm...and we were clearly wrong

41 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Tell it to the folks who are blaming the loss on everything but the defensive scheme, Cosmo…

Hey I am with you. I blame it on the play calling.. both sides were bad. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, weagl1 said:

They came back to the TE multiple times and he was never covered AT ALL. I don’t know who was supposed to account for him but it looked like he was “out to practice early” as Bear used to say.

Send 2 receivers into the first zone.  DB focuses on the WR nearest him, lined up to the right on the Line, inside edge of his zone, TE is on the left side of the line running into the same “zone”. CB/ LB hoping S picks up the other. But the safety is locked on on the WR on the outside of his zone.  Unaccounted-for receiver/TE in the middle is wide open when he hits the seam between the zones. He’s past the LBs And DBs are so far from him that it gives the quarterback one or two seconds to see it and another second to step into the throw. That’s why Clifford was so accurate last night. Absolutely wide-open receivers and plenty of time to get his mechanics correct.  Like Disney World for a QB.