29-33 There's a problem here

shabby

16 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Not surprised. Barely any pressure even in the ASU game and secondary hadnt looked impressive at all because of it. Same story.

How many times not only did we not blitz but only rushed 3? It's not illegal to pressure the QB:dunno:

• Like 1

I used the pause button a bunch last night. I paused the action, and it was uncanny how many times we had either a linebacker or a DB 10 or 15 yards off the line of scrimmage all by himself with open field around him with a radius of maybe 10-15 feet, then a TE with an equal amount of green around him.  28 for 32!!  And they caught everything thrown at them, in stride.  We were confused, flummoxed, and running in the wrong direction. They were busted-play-style wide open all night.  Yes the accuracy was from lack of pressure but the fact that they were wide open was due in part from the scheme.  My hat is off to Penn State.  I absolutely cannot believe we did not truly adjust. 10 for 10 in the second half shows me we did not adjust. It’s the lack of adjustment that worries me more than anything. And we were still in the football game!  We had a beautiful crystal punch bowl filled with delicious ice cold punch painstakingly made out of the finest ingredients, and Derek Mason squatted over it and dropped a giant turd into it. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

During the season everyone knows I pick AU to win every game. But preseason, I said our Tigers would be 3-1 after Georgia State en route to a 6-6 or maybe a 7-5 season. What I saw in the Penn State game doesn't change that. Now. LSU's struggles and aTm's offensive ineptitude were things I didn't figure on so maybe it turns out better. Then again, I didn't think Arkansas would look as good as they have. Anyway, I said 3-1 after next week and our Tigers are right on schedule...

Well, I predicted a 10-2 season, expecting to just get beat once and get some bad bounces in the other loss. I did not expect to have the worst pass defense in AU history. Your prediction is looking a lot better than mine.

• Like 1

Ole Miss, UGA, and Bama will be big L's if it doesn't change. Arkansas, TX A&M, S.Car. I think we'll be alright and win.

So what's that: 6-4? I would say Mississippi St be an easy win, but Leach might have a field day scheming against our Secondary making it a shootout. And well, LSU should be a win also, but it's down there with that voodoo curse so who the hell knows lol.

6-6 or 7-5 is what I figured would be realistic as well. 8-5 with a bowl win.

@bigbird so what are your thoughts on the pass defense? What would you say is the ratio for the non-existent pass rush and zone scheme in how much it affects them? I know the secondary isn't THAT bad.

6 hours ago, WFE12 said:

@bigbird so what are your thoughts on the pass defense? What would you say is the ratio for the non-existent pass rush and zone scheme in how much it affects them? I know the secondary isn't THAT bad.

The pass D was terrible. 

It 100% affects the DB. A DB typically can cover between 3-5 seconds, anything over that and it becomes a scramble and the chance for a completion is greatly increased.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 11:28 PM, 3rdgeneration said:

Is it a change in the defensive scheme that they have to relearn? Somebody who knows defense answer that question.  I know Masons philosophy is different than Steele’s. I am missing Steele’s hard hitting defense right now.  

Yup. A lot of Penn State's plays were from the secondary not understanding their responsibilities and guys running into each others zone and leaving a different zone empty. 

Pass rush makes everything better.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

guys running into each others zone and leaving a different zone empty. 

You can only cover one at a time. They did a good job flooding zones and putting our DBs in a bind. 

All year we've struggled with the TE and jet/orbit motions. I don't get it, that's day one type stuff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You can only cover one at a time. They did a good job flooding zones and putting our DBs in a bind. 

All year we've struggled with the TE and jet/orbit motions. I don't get it, that's day one type stuff

Do you think the problem lies in a mental discomfort with zone/giving space vs press man? Or is that issue somewhat overblown 

29 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Yes, we've not covered that well.

I was referring to the busts where two guys are following one receiver leaving the others wide open.

Definitely something that needs to change.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Yes, we've not covered that well.

I was referring to the busts where two guys are following one receiver leaving the others wide open.

Definitely something that needs to change.

Yep, the TD, the long TE seam, and the other bust by Smoke on the near sideline were all back breakers.

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Do you think the problem lies in a mental discomfort with zone/giving space vs press man? Or is that issue somewhat overblown 

Zone does take a little bit to get comfortable with, but at this level, it shouldn't be a problem. The main issue is the rush. It's a team concept, if part of the DL isn't doing their job, then it makes the rest look even worse.  It'd be like calling cvr 3, blitzing both OLB, and then complaining about the secondary that they didn't cover the flats.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Zone does take a little bit to get comfortable with, but at this level, it shouldn't be a problem. The main issue is the rush. It's a team concept, if part of the D isn't doing their job, then it makes the rest look even worse.  It'd be like calling cvr 3, blitzing both OLB, and then complaining about the secondary that they didn't cover the flats.

I get you. It’s hard for me to discern what the percentage breaks down at in terms of blame, but the pass rush definitely did not impact that game after the first quarter. That’s a fact 

5 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I get you. It’s hard for me to discern what the percentage breaks down at in terms of blame, but the pass rush definitely did not impact that game after the first quarter. That’s a fact 

Think of it this way...

Do you think RM or NP forgot how to cover? 

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Think of it this way...

Do you think RM or NP forgot how to cover? 

No, I think they’re still great at that ability 

(SN: I don’t wanna keep bringing up old tenures but I hate how we didn’t get a fair shake at that McCreary-Dotson matchup like what might’ve happened last year)  

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1

@bigbirdi had heard that they were not practicing much zone in fall ball.   Now it has been a base defense.  There has to be a reason for this change, unless I heard wrong.  I heard that is why the WV db was struggling because he came from a primarily zone defense. Any insight.