Harsin comments on 4th down play

aubiefifty

It looked like to me that Kobe should have release inside based on the leverage the defender had on him after the studder step. I think Kobe played right into the defender where if he had released inside he likely has a chance.

edit- after re-watching the game, the play looks like it was supposed to be a pick play similar to what Clemson ran against Bama the year they won the natty in 2017 IIRC. 

Edited by Tigerpro2a
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, NoALtiger said:

I’m familiar with out of phase from a defensive perspective, which essentially means getting beat on a route in laymen terms. Having to play catch-up basically.  I guess it’s the same for offense, Kobe got stopped and was out of phase and essentially a non factor in the route. I’ll defer to @bigbird and others for a more detailed meaning.  

He gave up on the route. The fade throw was there, it wasn't even a terrible read (arguably the 2nd best decision there), but Hudson wasn't prepared for the ball to come to him and he tried to catch a flag instead.

The #1 right read on that play was tank out of the backfield. I'll post screenshots.

Not a play I would call but not terrible in that situation.

• Like 1

If you run a fade from the 2 yard line there is no time for other options, but normally you run a fade with a bigger receiver.  I thought it was a bad call from the beginning as it did not play to the strengths of this team. Bring in 3 TE's and either use them to secure the edge while one can be a target for a pass if the other team sells out to stop the run. One of the 3 TE off line of scrimmage with Bo, Hunter and Tank in backfield. Hunter leads Tank and tank picks his spot. We needed to play smash Mouth in that situation if they stop it they deserve credit but make them stop our best.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, aubiefifty said:
saturdaydownsouth.com

Bryan Harsin comments on Auburn’s 4th down play call

SDS Staff | 9 hours ago
1 minute

Late in the fourth quarter and losing 28-20, Auburn had a chance to at least tie Penn State near the goal line. The Tigers had a 4th-and-goal from the 2-yard line, and unfortunately, they didn’t convert.

The play call, however, called for a low percentage fade by quarterback Bo Nix into the end zone:

Naturally, Kirk Herbstreit and college football fans didn’t like Auburn’s play call in that situation, and why would they? It was puzzling at best.

Auburn ended up losing 28-20, and head coach Bryan Harsin was asked about the play call following the game during his postgame press conference.

“Those plays are pre-planned and scripted in those areas. Those are things that you work on. I have to go back and look at it, but obviously we didn’t execute it,” Harsin said, via AL.com’s Tom Green.

This play has shades of Gus.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

This play brought back memories of the '84 Iron bowl, Where OC Jack Crowe elected to not give the ball to one of the greatest running backs in history, on 4th down at the bamr one. I would have bet a fifth of Wild Turkey 101 on Bigsby getting the ball. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

The #1 right read on that play was tank out of the backfield. I'll post screenshots.

That is exactly right.  He was wide open and the defense was paying zero attention to him. 

20 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

He was the right read but was he the first read?

The first thing you read is how the defense is lined up before the snap of the ball. The fade against one of their top defenders should not have been the direction Bo should have looked. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AUTigerTime said:

The first thing you read is how the defense is lined up before the snap of the ball. The fade against one of their top defenders should not have been the direction Bo should have looked. 

It was 1v1 on that throw, it wasn't actually a terrible decision. The matchup was what we were given, the route was not bad

• Haha 1

I didn’t like the play call, but if Tank got stuffed at the LOS then people would be complaining “why not throw it? Everyone knew it was going to Tank”

It’s a play call. It was wrong but Auburn should have played better to avoid that situation. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Butthead said:

Seems pretty obvious that he is not going to throw his QB under the bus. 

QB? Bo didn't call the play. Not throwing Bobo under the bus. Harsin looks like a amatuer with this answer he gave on this. A mid-major coach out of his league. 

8 hours ago, AUTigerTime said:

I don’t think the read would be that simple. It would be interesting to understand what that read should be. As I believe it is supposed to be a pick play, if they are lined up correctly to facilitate the rub, that should be the read. Course I don’t know enough to say for sure.

16 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If you run a fade from the 2 yard line there is no time for other options, but normally you run a fade with a bigger receiver.

The only two "big" WRs we have can't seem to get on the field.

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

The only two "big" WRs we have can't seem to get on the field.

I was think more using 2 TE's one 6'6" and one 6'7" have them cross into the End Zone while running the same fade route to the WR to pull the DB away and then make it a jump ball to one of the TE's  

• Like 1

I dont know...i don't think it was the worst call ever. I think a straight handoff to Tank would have been a little too obvious and probably would have gotten stuffed. I would have liked a play action to Tank with Bo rolling out with options to run or pass into the endzone. But we were on the right side of the field and the coaches don't want Bo rolling to his left and you don't roll to the short side of the field. I would have liked to see the overloaded formation to one side of the other and give Tank the ball with as many blockers as possible. I like Tanks changes of finding a crease and sneaking it into endzone. So yeah i did not love the playcall but given the circumstances it was also not the worst call i could think of in that situation. 

I really hope Harsin was giving lip service and the playcalls in those situation are not pre-determined. You have to adapt to the flow of the game. Can't be so rigid that down and distance determined the playcall. Maybe do the fade if we are 5+ yards away from the endzone. 

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Harsin comments on 4th down play
On 9/20/2021 at 1:06 PM, gravejd said:

I think a straight handoff to Tank would have been a little too obvious and probably would have gotten stuffed

Can you imagine the outrage of this board if a run up the gut gets stuffed on 4th down? 😂 Brings back memories

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 8:41 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

A mid-major coach out of his league. 

Kinda surprised to hear this from you. You talked Harsin and his staff up all off-season, now you're done with him. Just a complete 180.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Kinda surprised to hear this from you. You talked Harsin and his staff up all off-season, now you're done with him. Just a complete 180.

WDE's pissed, I'm pissed, many fans are pissed about the coaching and decision making by the coaches in this game.  The staff has a lot to work on for the next 2 weeks because October is no cake walk.  @LSU, vs UGA, @ Arky, vs OleMiss in 5 week is tough sledding 

18 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Can you imagine the outrage of this board if a run up the gut gets stuffed on 4th down? 😂 Brings back memories

No kidding. God forbid Bo toss it up and it get picked off. 

Do what you can to not be in those situations. It’s a new staff on the road. Was it supposed to be perfect? I picked us to win but that was because I thought our D would play better. 

On 9/19/2021 at 2:51 PM, Tigerpro2a said:

It looked like to me that Kobe should have release inside based on the leverage the defender had on him after the studder step. I think Kobe played right into the defender where if he had released inside he likely has a chance.

edit- after re-watching the game, the play looks like it was supposed to be a pick play similar to what Clemson ran against Bama the year they won the natty in 2017 IIRC. 

No, you normally don't run a pick play to the short side of the field, bc you have to get enough space to allow the WR to get out on the rub/or pick.

Also, If it was still a pick play, Hudson HAS to wait for Jackson to come inside and create the pick. Plus, when the pick is made Hudson would have gone straight down the line, NOT at an angle towards where the DB locks him up.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, keesler said:

WDE's pissed, I'm pissed, many fans are pissed about the coaching and decision making by the coaches in this game.  The staff has a lot to work on for the next 2 weeks because October is no cake walk.  @LSU, vs UGA, @ Arky, vs OleMiss in 5 week is tough sledding 

I’m frustrated too. I think they’ll make adjustments. They know they can run the ball. LSU is a winnable game. Don’t know about UGA. Idk how we handle them up front. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, keesler said:

Good. When we make adjustments and string off some wins, I hope you guys keep the same energy that you have shown after 1 very tough game.

• Love 1