What actually happened during the psu game

cole256

On 9/20/2021 at 10:08 AM, DAG said:

A Seth Williams type is exactly what we need and someone I am sure CBH would attempt to get the ball to. At least he wanted the big moments. People got to remember it is not like Bo was super accurate most off the time with Seth. He would go up and get that thing.

I was looking for this post! Thanks! We talked about this before the fade play talks and even probably a couple of months ago. I was just wanting to point this out.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Well they were wrong lol. Get rid of that idea haha. I remember Missouri tried that to us in the 2013 SEC championship game.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well they were wrong lol. Get rid of that idea haha. I remember Missouri tried that to us in the 2013 SEC championship game.

I feel like every game you should always have a plan as far as the D line isn't getting enough pressure

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

It's one thing to think that and plan on doing that but when CDM sees that it just isn't going to happen we gotta be smart enough to adjust and go a different route. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I feel like every game you should always have a plan as far as the D line isn't getting enough pressure

Right. That is definitely my disappointment. We aren't good enough to rush with just three. Heck a lot of schools aren't. We should've adjusted mid game. Hopefully we change course in the future.

12 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

It's one thing to think that and plan on doing that but when CDM sees that it just isn't going to happen we gotta be smart enough to adjust and go a different route. 

Yep there is no reason to not have adjusted mid game. That does make me go hmmm with this defensive staff. Let's see how it plays out this weekend.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DAG said:

That nonexistent pass rush was hard to watch. One would think that after Clifford had 11 seconds to pass the ball (my jaw was on the floor) on the very first offensive play of the game, decision makers would have noticed that three wasn’t going to get it done! Two were double teamed and the third was manhandled. I’m extremely surprised that the coaches expected that would create pressure. Yes they changed it up a bit but the result was the same, all game.  PSU has always had large, talented corn-fed boys on the OL.  That must have been a gut shot for the coaches to watch.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Well Coach Mason....why didn't we ever adjust?

3 vs 5 for virtually the whole game with no back up plan is pretty damn arrogant

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MaitlandTiger said:

That must have been a gut shot for the coaches to watch.  

Not only to the coaches and yes it was tough to watch.  I'm ready to put that game in the rearview mirror and see an improved approach to creating QB pressure by our defense.  We'll need it down in BR.

25 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

Not only to the coaches and yes it was tough to watch.  I'm ready to put that game in the rearview mirror and see an improved approach to creating QB pressure by our defense.  We'll need it down in BR.

For sure. There's a lot of dysfunction at LSU right now, but their passing game can still put a hurting on you with their concepts and Boutte and crew.

• Like 1

What happened was Auburn blew an enormous opportunity.

Coaching was at least equally - if not more - responsible for it than our players.  We should have played more man on defense and run more on offense, especially near the goal.

I hope lessons were learned.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2021 at 6:38 PM, W.E.D said:

Well Coach Mason....why didn't we ever adjust?

3 vs 5 for virtually the whole game with no back up plan is pretty damn arrogant

It's not arrogant, it's just a poor gameplan decision.

I wonder if Mason is overthinking his teams ability? 

And I'm not understand why we thought we couldn't provide a solid passing D with 4 DL, and a safety to help in the passing game?

How does any DC think a 3 lineman attack will not put your LBs and DBs in a precarious position for longer times of coverage.

I can understand a 3 DL approach for a play or 2 in a game to make them guess.

And last question, was Penn St's passing that potent that we felt we needed to be concerned with their mesh and deep WR routes, to employ continually a 3 man rush?

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I wonder if Mason is overthinking his teams ability? 

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

How does any DC think a 3 lineman attack will not put your LBs and DBs in a precarious position for longer times of coverage.

I think that's what he meant by arrogant. I certainly thought our DL would fare better in this game. I thought they'd get more help, though. 

How long will it take us to recruit to be able to run this system effectively? I guess we take our lumps now but wow we are going to be bad on the oline next year

On 9/25/2021 at 3:17 PM, wcware said:

How long will it take us to recruit to be able to run this system effectively? I guess we take our lumps now but wow we are going to be bad on the oline next year

If we don't sign an elite, balanced class in 2023, then I will be ready to start the "We hired the wrong guy" talk.