What actually happened during the psu game

cole256

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

There were 3-4 drops/WR fell down.  That "seems" kind high.  2 of those are caught and he completed 62% and he's all of a sudden had his best road game vs a good team statistically.

I don't think any of the drops were drive killers, so the outcome of hte game doesn't change much.  After the Drob drop we had the 27yd TD run.  Can't remember the only Shed Jackson fell down.

The biggest drop of a Bo Nix pass was not by an Auburn receiver. If he throws that pick 6, it's also a different conversation. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cbo said:

The biggest drop of a Bo Nix pass was not by an Auburn receiver. If he throws that pick 6, it's also a different conversation. 

Yep it works both ways

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Too many behind the LOS. Complete 180 from the previous weeks. The middle of the field was basically ignored and yes Bo's downfield accuracy is bad. 

Thank you for this.  Same account I got the previous stats.  Agree with you that it was a 180 and our screen game was absolutely awful.  Couldn't block and constantly got minimal yardage.  Per @WarDamnEagleWDE that does look a bit like a Gus passing chart.

20+ Bo has been really bad and it continued.  Stated that a few times

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Too many behind the LOS. Complete 180 from the previous weeks. The middle of the field was basically ignored and yes Bo's downfield accuracy is bad. 

That's Gus Malzah ball and is accordingly distressing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, cbo said:

Yup, don't disagree. 

and to adjust my earlier comment, this one drop did have a pretty big impact.  Small window, good timing, thrown as he's coming out of his break and enough time to located it.  Next play was a false start then inc pass on 3rd and 17.  This would have been a 1st down on their side of the field.

throw.JPG

ball.JPG

drobdrop.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yup, don't disagree. 

and to adjust my earlier comment, this one drop did have a pretty big impact.  Small window, good timing, thrown as he's coming out of his break and enough time to located it.  Next play was a false start then inc pass on 3rd and 17.  This would have been a 1st down on their side of the field.

throw.JPG

ball.JPG

drobdrop.JPG

Yep, that's one I mentioned earlier. Robertson was about to get hit by 2 guys, but dropped it even before contact. WRs need to make some plays. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, cbo said:

Yep, that's one I mentioned earlier. Robertson was about to get hit by 2 guys, but dropped it even before contact. WRs need to make some plays. 

That's the kind of thing that a coach can use to make them all better. Or to at least make sure that we've got dogs on the field at all times. 

• Like 1

A few things 
The TE seemed to be pretty reliable

Need a big body possibly go to guy 

No clearly established #1WR

Also think he hurt his shoulder on that hit. Some of those throws were lame ducks . A lot worst than usual.

13 minutes ago, e808 said:

Need a big body possibly go to guy 

I'm curious to know the weaknesses in Brandon Frazier's game. Landen King's, too. Still a lot of work just to get the offense installed for the 1s and 2s, though, I guess. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm curious to know the weaknesses in Brandon Frazier's game. Landen King's, too. Still a lot of work just to get the offense installed for the 1s and 2s, though, I guess. 

It is curious why they're not getting more action. The snap counts for TEs were up there. 69 for JSS, 33 for Deal, and 14 for Fromm. 

The results from 12 personnel were not great tho....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

It is curious why they're not getting more action. The snap counts for TEs were up there. 69 for JSS, 33 for Deal, and 14 for Fromm. 

The results from 12 personnel were not great tho....

That hurts to look at.

(This StatCat fella is really getting after it, though!)

• Like 2

I was waiting for us to do a well placed hb screen.....seemed like we could've slid one in for a big gain

53 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's Gus Malzah ball and is accordingly distressing. 

This could just be a coach strategy thing. They may not trust Bo to throw in the middle of the field consistently yet 

I said when everybody first started talking about Bo getting different coaching, it was going to be the biggest and hardest thing for Bo to start driving balls in the teeth of defense. As bad as Gus offense would be sometimes Bo made a living on guys having to be wide open or guys beat deep and he lobs passes in. Now in a more pro style can he zip balls in small windows and can he throw guys open consistently.

We want to hit tight end and we want the ball out quick and all slants and all of that. Well you have to have a guy who is accurate with the ball and stuff like that

• Like 2

You guys got the QB discussion covered so no need to comment there. 

One thing i did not see called out was how much the tempo impacted our defense. Seemed like a lot of the plays where we did not cover the TE came when they hurried up. I think Mason needs to get that addressed quickly cause plenty of teams we face will use tempo against us. I also think the safeties were at fault for some of the blown TE coverages but since i don't know the play calls I can't say for sure who should be covering. But i know on atleast 1 of the blown TE coverages I though Monday should have covered him. But as bad as the passing stats look I do think its important to point out that without the fumble to start the second half we could have held them to 21 pts. Holding a team to 21pts is pretty good IMO. That gives me hope that maybe we are not as far away from being a really good defense as some stats indicate. 

I would like to know why we don't try and stunts or twists or shifts or ANYTHING on the DL? Too scared of getting gashed on the run??

• Like 2

On 9/19/2021 at 11:56 AM, Eagle-1 said:

Should have lined up in the I, and ran a play action flare pass to the fullback. It's one of the absolute hardest plays to defend on the goal line. If by chance is does happened to be defended you always have the option of the QB running outside on the same side.

FB out of the backfield... I like it.. aka Heath Evans

• Like 1

23 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I've never seen someone so self righteous and lacking self awareness. It's astonishing. 

Did You Just Catch That GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

The most salient commentary in this entire thread.....  It is indeed astonishing.

Edited by PowerOfDixieland
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Yup, don't disagree. 

throw.JPG

ball.JPG

drobdrop.JPG

See, I look at this and go "pass it to the wide ass open guy over the middle to set up 3rd and short".

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

See, I look at this and go "pass it to the wide ass open guy over the middle to set up 3rd and short".

No doubt! Or even the out route looks open.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I can see that too.  Possibly could get a 1st down there as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

Was just comparing to what JT Daniels did against USCe. Well...trying. There's no comparison.

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

18 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

That's very interesting

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

Good morning Cole. How are you today? I'd like to bury the hatchet with you over this "objectivity argument." Maybe we need to do that over PM as to not clutter the board with more arguing or snide pot shots. What say you?

That's a Capital Idea! :bow:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, keesler said:

That's a Capital Idea! :bow:

I extended the olive branch. 

Speaking of olives....you know what's crazy? My wife actually says that black olives are more bitter than green ones. Ain't no way.

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

I extended the olive branch. 

Speaking of olives....you know what's crazy? My wife actually says that black olives are more bitter than green ones. Ain't no way.

Four feta stuffed on a toothpick in a dry martini.  YUM🍸