Tony Franklin on Bryan Harsin

aubiefifty

I find it sad when you see some celebrities, coaches, politicians, etc. go this same route. They muck up their career and at some point they realize their star has faded so they lash out at others due to a warped sense of of  "attention" seeking and a desire to punish individuals/groups in the hope that others will experience the same pain as they did. However, in an industry built on networking and relationships all it has done is fade their star faster. 

It's a sad circle of events to witness. Says a lot about the individual. 

• Like 2

Just now, McLoofus said:

And I would tell them the exact same thing.

Nobody here has thought about Tony Franklin in forever. (Except to make fun of that 2008 disaster and maybe examine the dynamics of introducing an "outsider" into an otherwise close knit and possibly tribal staff.) I'd be surprised if 1% of the people on this forum even knew he had a podcast or anything else about his current whereabouts.

Now a complete nobody spewing nonsense targeted specifically at easily spun up Auburn fans is front page on *this* website. But by all means, keep helping him along his new career path. 

2400 people have viewed this article.someone likes it or wants to read it. it is easy to complain when you do not post anything. you do it for a week. you come off as ungrateful. and you call me out on a lot lately when all i am doing is helping the board. you understand a hundred different people want a hundre4d different things concerning posts right? i have even caught hell for not breaking down an article for someone. you have not talked to me in months other than to criticize or lecture me. i do not appreciate it. i am being as nice as i can. i can be critical of you on a few fronts but who of us is perfect? just do me a favor and save your complaints for the mods.

• Facepalm 2

12 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Entrepreneur 

Has been, who was fired midseason. Sound familiar!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Tony Franklin is the weak man here.  Worst hire in Auburn history

I feel like that dude from Chizik's last year was probably worse, but at least he had the decency to keep his mouth shut after getting canned.  I remember Tony Franklin's lone defender was Rush Propst

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, cbo said:

I do. 

Of course he is right about some things. But he went way too far. He even said "The running backs don’t make plays in space against a good team.”'

It's easy to pile on after a terrible game. This team is not as bad as they looked Saturday and not as good as some (including me) had hoped. 

Good point. We are a six win team at best with an opportunity to maybe pull  an extra W out with good play. Way way to early to blame coaching. It’s going to come down to how well this first full recruiting cycle goes in 22. If we stay in the lower half of the SEC in ranking and are outside of a top 25 overall, we will continue to lose ground to the big boys. Time will definitely tell. As of now though, we won’t beat Arky, Ga, Miss, Bama and LSU or either TAMU. I forget who our 2nd East opponent is. 

37 minutes ago, LeonardAU said:

I feel like that dude from Chizik's last year was probably worse, but at least he had the decency to keep his mouth shut after getting canned.  I remember Tony Franklin's lone defender was Rush Propst

Loeffler made it to the end of his only season, at least.

• Like 1

I think a lot of the mistakes are due to the much greater complexity on both offense and defense than under CGM. I remember when Muschamp left and Steele was hired as DC. Steele said Muschamp’s defense was too complicated and he needed to simplify things. Also, given the communications issues and blown assignments, it appears Mason’s defensive scheme is complicated, and the players are still learning it.

The same applies to the offense. We all have heard jokes about Malzahn’s route tree (it has no branches), and the fact the primary concept behind the HUNH is to keep the offense very simple but run it very fast, and rely on speed to prevent defensive substitution and get the defense out of position. We also know the OL had no reads or ability to adjust. Now we have a system where the OL has to read and adjust their blocking schemes, the receivers have to be in precise positions and spacing, the QB has more reads, etc. Again, our players are still learning this. And to be fair, Cornelius Williams, who coached at a Group of Five school that ran a HUNH Air Raid offense might not have been the best WR coach for a passing system that is more like a pro-style offense.

It is very clear Harsin is very detail-oriented, and expects precision and detail at every player position and every coaching position.

This is a very different transition from 2013, where CGM was one year removed from being OC, and had recruited many of the players on the 2013 team.

I would add, while the changes to scheme may be contributing to mistakes and underperformance, the talent issues would be a problem this year regardless. I really believe now had CGM not been fired last season, this season would have proved to be his last.

I am concerned that Harsin may not have developed the right recruiting techniques for the SEC. He cannot expect to recruit in the Power 5, and especially in the SEC, like one does in the Group of 5, and especially in a Group of 5 geography where the Power 5 conference is weak. Recruiting in the SEC is bloodsport, and requires the intimate involvement of the head coach. It cannot be delegated. And despite “quiet periods”, recruiting is a 365 day a year job. I remember when Saban was reported as one of the first coaches to get around quiet period phone call restrictions by text messaging recruits. I remember A.J. McCarron saying when he was a high school senior he talked to Nick Saban every day. When asked about quiet periods, McCarron said on those days he called Saban, rather than Saban calling him, which got around the quiet period restriction. That was 2009.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I’m not going back through that nightmare thread, maybe they were trolls . Numerous times it was said both lines sucked , secondary sucked , wrs are the worst etc ..Ga state is the better team etc. None of what I’m saying means anything. Franklin sounds really bitter and unprofessional. He should hold himself to a higher standard. The fans aren't held to the same standard . 

I said the lines looked weak, lacked talent and appeared out-manned, I also said the QB looked confused, under pressure non-stop and couldn't throw for crap, I wanted him to sit his ass on the bench before half-time.  I said the WR's hadn't improved after 2 other cupcake games and 6+ weeks of full time practice and they looked poorly coached.  I said the secondary was soft, didn't show energy or fight and that Auburn should never under any circumstances get manhandled by a 1-2 G5 team in JHS and it looked like some of our players quit on the field.  I said the entire team rallied behind TJ and the defense adjusted and improved after the half.  I commended TJ for his post-game interview acknowledging his mistakes and promising to fix them asap.  

There!  I said those things and I'll continue to say those things until there's drastic improvement.

BUT Tony Franklin is an unemployed, bitter chump with nothing better to do than dream up material to put on a podcast.  AL.com is pond scum to give that clowns drunk ramblings public attention. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

2400 people have viewed this article.someone likes it or wants to read it. it is easy to complain when you do not post anything. you do it for a week. you come off as ungrateful. and you call me out on a lot lately when all i am doing is helping the board. you understand a hundred different people want a hundre4d different things concerning posts right? i have even caught hell for not breaking down an article for someone. you have not talked to me in months other than to criticize or lecture me. i do not appreciate it. i am being as nice as i can. i can be critical of you on a few fronts but who of us is perfect? just do me a favor and save your complaints for the mods.

Relax 

aaron-rodgers-hit-it-up.gif

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, keesler said:

I said the lines looked weak, lacked talent and appeared out-manned, I also said the QB looked confused, under pressure non-stop and couldn't throw for crap, I wanted him to sit his ass on the bench before half-time.  I said the WR's hadn't improved after 2 other cupcake games and 6+ weeks of full time practice and they looked poorly coached.  I said the secondary was soft, didn't show energy or fight and that Auburn should never under any circumstances get manhandled by a 1-2 G5 team in JHS and it looked like some of our players quit on the field.  I said the entire team rallied behind TJ and the defense adjusted and improved after the half.  I commended TJ for his post-game interview acknowledging his mistakes and promising to fix them asap.  

There!  I said those things and I'll continue to say those things until there's drastic improvement.

BUT Tony Franklin is an unemployed, bitter chump with nothing better to do than dream up material to put on a podcast.  AL.com is pond scum to give that clowns drunk ramblings public attention. 

I agree 💯. And I will continue to say the same things as you until AU improves. Which they will . AL.com is after views , not credibility 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

DONT QUESTION THE ARTICLE GATEKEEPER 

why you screaming?

15 hours ago, creed said:

Who's Tony Franklin?

He was a barefoot place kicker for aTm back in the seventies. Had a helluva foot. 

Edited by Swamp Eagle
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LeonardAU said:

Now now, that's "Lefty" you're talking about.  He and "Stache" were propped up on a pedestal by this very board before they ever coached a game here. 🤪

• Like 1

3 hours ago, auburnphan said:

This is the classic example of Auburn fans can eat their own, but if an outsider attacks, it is on.

Just like the Goodman attacks, every time something like this happens it's good for Harsin.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, keesler said:

Now now, that's "Lefty" you're talking about.  He and "Stache" were propped up on a pedestal by this very board before they ever coached a game here. 🤪

I had forgotten about that dude!

mustache-guy.gif

• Haha 1