Nix upset with officiating

aubiefifty

This has been discussed on this forum going back the the early Tubberville years. As I recall, the conclusion has always been that the SEC needs to revamp the main office in Birmingham. Graduates and former players should not be allowed to hold high level positions. SEC is wealthy, we should have professional refs and not “weekenders”.  Certainly no graduates or former SEC athletes should be reffing a game in the SEC; they can go to a different conference and we can hire others to call games here. They should be graded and grades made public. They should have a significant amount of review and training during the week, not just go back to their regular jobs for 5 days. It would surprise you how many SEC officials or office personnel are bama grads.  

A lot of that is what I recall the discussion being in the past. And then you had the same responses from some, we should just get some more AU folks in there.  That’s not the answer. We (the SEC) just need to spend more money and do it right. A lot of other conferences have some or most of these recommendations in place. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

I thought I saw 3 cases where they pulled down our WR's back arm making it visually impossible to catch. Definitely did on the play Bo is referencing.

Exactly!

10 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Correct approach is to let coaches handle this.

Bull Shiite! How did that work out after the LSU game in 2017? The exact same BS pass interference calls on us(Auburn) and none on LSU! 

21 hours ago, WarDamnDoc said:

Eh, it’s just not a good look for the player with the most impact on the game to blame the refs. We get some bad calls, sure, but it probably all comes out in the wash overall.

Sometimes they don’t call an obvious PI on your guy in the end zone on 4th. Other times they inexplicably decide to make your opponent punt on third down, or decide that your bizarre unforced fumble was intentional grounding.
Frustrating, but it cuts both ways.

I get that, but the whole idea that refs are infallible and can’t be criticized is one of the dumbest and most irrational things in all of sports. They are a part of the game. If they make mistakes they should be held accountable. 

Everyone one a hypocrite if you think he’s whining because you have 100% done the same. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, WarDamnDoc said:

Eh, it’s just not a good look for the player with the most impact on the game to blame the refs. We get some bad calls, sure, but it probably all comes out in the wash overall.

Sometimes they don’t call an obvious PI on your guy in the end zone on 4th. Other times they inexplicably decide to make your opponent punt on third down, or decide that your bizarre unforced fumble was intentional grounding.
Frustrating, but it cuts both ways.

But all of the calls that seem to go Auburn way is not against the big boys of this league, UK,AR, Mizzou, miss schools we seem to get them.

• Like 1

I just mainly had issues with the one ref in this game. Same guy made all the bad calls (closed his eyes apparently) and definitely warranted a look into. He's either a cheat or totally incompetent.

• Like 1

Announcers usually don't say anything or take the side of the officals but this was a double foul first grabbing the receiver trying to stop him from getting open then hitting him before the ball arrives they has two different opportunities to call it. It would have given us a 1st down at the 2 and maybe we would have scored and maybe not but if we score it changes the  game it gives us momentum going into the half. I still think Georgia would have won but it would have been a closer game. They beat us in the trench's and that is where games are really won and lost.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jw 4 au said:

This has been discussed on this forum going back the the early Tubberville years. As I recall, the conclusion has always been that the SEC needs to revamp the main office in Birmingham. Graduates and former players should not be allowed to hold high level positions. SEC is wealthy, we should have professional refs and not “weekenders”.  Certainly no graduates or former SEC athletes should be reffing a game in the SEC; they can go to a different conference and we can hire others to call games here. They should be graded and grades made public. They should have a significant amount of review and training during the week, not just go back to their regular jobs for 5 days. It would surprise you how many SEC officials or office personnel are bama grads.  

A lot of that is what I recall the discussion being in the past. And then you had the same responses from some, we should just get some more AU folks in there.  That’s not the answer. We (the SEC) just need to spend more money and do it right. A lot of other conferences have some or most of these recommendations in place. 

I do think it would be cool to have grades made available. 

Well, let's be real Bo... calls go both ways.  You/we didn't complain about the call that went our way in the Georgia State game when Shenker caught a pass at the end of the game that set up for our win.  Instant replay showed the ball the hitting the ground.  Ga State knew and their coach did complain afterwards.  Quit yer whining and play better. 

• Dislike 1

11 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Or better yet, nothing we can do about those type things, we are concentrating on things we can control as in our own play.

I was being facetious.

11 hours ago, japantiger said:

Bama and GA have been getting away with murder for years.  Was at the A&M v Bama game last night.  As info, Jimbo has been particularly vocal about AL holding and PI...he went apeshit during the game more than once at the officials last night for their no-calls.  Unless you raise hell, officials will just let this crap go.  I believe Bama was called for holding last night 3 times.  But there were two no calls on PI that were definitly BS.  In his post game presser he even mentioned that Alabama was interfering with and holding receivers...he is not being subtle and is challenging the officials.

The most blatant thing I saw other than the non PI here was the last TD uat scored to tie A&M. They ran it quick because a receiver wasn't covered at the goal line. There wasn't a single player on the offense set long enough and the LT never quit moving. Just completely obvious. It is human to miss things but how can a 7 man crew all miss that?

Just like the terrible calls in the PSU game both ways. The 3rd down punt and the safety that wasn't called or reviewed.  It's time for the SEC to hire full time refs and not some guy who left his accounting office early on Friday to make the game. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, jAUSon said:

"Yeah he grabbed him, I thought it should've been called but that's just part of the game, part of the rivalry" -Bo Nix (calmly, dismissively, after being goaded directly by not Tom Green)

"BO NIX UPSET ABOUT OFFICIATING" - talentless lying a**hole hack

Im afraid this is falling on mostly deaf ears.

Edited by AU80cruiser

15 hours ago, japantiger said:

Bama and GA have been getting away with murder for years.  Was at the A&M v Bama game last night.  As info, Jimbo has been particularly vocal about AL holding and PI...he went apeshit during the game more than once at the officials last night for their no-calls.  Unless you raise hell, officials will just let this crap go.  I believe Bama was called for holding last night 3 times.  But there were two no calls on PI that were definitly BS.  In his post game presser he even mentioned that Alabama was interfering with and holding receivers...he is not being subtle and is challenging the officials.

Holding wasn't the half of it. Bama's last go-ahead TD was as egregious an infraction as I have ever seen. Watch the left side of the OL still getting in its stance when the ball is snapped. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoBo! said:

Well, let's be real Bo... calls go both ways.  You/we didn't complain about the call that went our way in the Georgia State game when Shenker caught a pass at the end of the game that set up for our win.  Instant replay showed the ball the hitting the ground.  Ga State knew and their coach did complain afterwards.  Quit yer whining and play better. 

Read more before you post. 

As for Shenker, you cannot distinguish the ball from his arm on the best replay angle on a 80" 4K screen, and the call on the field cannot be overturned with inconclusive evidence like that. 

• Like 1

I reffed college ball for almost a decade (MEAC) and IMHO that unsportsmanlike call for a lingering stepover was, er, unique. Identical player move happened just a few hours later for example in Bama/aTm and it was addressed w/out a flag. Both games were even refs from SEC, yes? Odd.

Edited by aucanucktiger

Bo isn't wrong to be upset with the striped clowns who can't differentiate hand checking from yanking on a receiver's arm when it comes to pass interference.

But if I've learned anything in my life it's that no one cares unless officials help Auburn win.

7 hours ago, GAAubie said:

Exactly!

Bull Shiite! How did that work out after the LSU game in 2017? The exact same BS pass interference calls on us(Auburn) and none on LSU! 

No approach really helps IMO except coaches (whatever that process is). All the rest just comes off sounding like sour grapes or whining.

• 1 month later...

It is now beyond obvious that the SEC manipulates games to maximize money. The manipulation might benefit your team or hurt depending on the situation each week.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, beagle34 said:

It is now beyond obvious that the SEC manipulates games to maximize money. The manipulation might benefit your team or hurt depending on the situation each week.

I believe every conference ref crew is directed to do the same.  I've watched some Pac12 games off and on this year and they are just as bad as SEC/BIG/ACC ref's.  Horrible.

On 10/10/2021 at 10:40 AM, Tigerbelle said:

I disagree. I think it's past time to start speaking up. Just sitting silently,sucking it up, has allowed it to continue all these years. Shine a light on it. 

I'm sure Nix shining a light on the week of the IN, is going to shine an important light on it. 

You think these conferences and administrators have not heard this over an over again from players? I think they have.

In Auburns case, it's not even the refs. It's been Birmingham butting in and making bad calls that weren't even called on the field. This has to change, regardless of who benefits.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, beagle34 said:

I fully believe this. Follow the darlings. Follow the money. You’ll see the pattern. 

• Like 1

I think all sports with replay should have the refs mic on and show the views they are looking at. This will show everyone what they saw and what they were thinking. The Rugby World Cup does this and you never hear anyone complain about the officiating.

• Like 2