My Thoughts From the Stadium (Georgia 2021)

abw0004

I was there as well and it was a great atmosphere. Crowd was pretty rowdy into the early part of the 4th quarter. Being in the stadium gives you such a good view of the full field to see plays develop and that has really informed some of my thoughts about this group. I'll save that for other threads and just say that I took one of my kids to the game and we had a great time. Great crowd and gameday atmosphere from downtown throughout the entire stadium. There was even a pretty good vibe going throughout the tailgates we visited after the game was over. 

I understand why the tailgate guys are there and they do a good job of cleaning up after themselves which wasn't happening before but I also loath the blahness of it all.  It used to be first come first serve at 3pm Friday but now its who can afford $1500 - $3000 for a decent spot next to the stadium.  Way to corporate for me.  

• Like 3

Hard to sell the “family” thing when it’s so corporate in certain areas. There needs to be an adjustment that is win-win for all. 

Edited by NoALtiger
  • Like 3

thanks abw i enjoy your posts after the game. when i was in my twenties there was no such grumbling concerning new coaches. and harsin is having to do a complete rebuild and it is often painful and frustrating.when dye left terry was left with a damn good team. while we have talent it is not in the basic things like lines and such  and it is killling us. and i thought our strength and conditioning guy was state of the art but it seems this is part of our problems as well.  i still love my team and that will never change.i can see why kids love pearl so much. he knows how to win and all that entails but he also knows how to have fun. and all the money for tailgating plus game tickets and all the other expenses combined i cannot see how people can afford to come to games.. anyway i believe better days are ahead we just have to be patient.

2 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Hard to sell the “family” thing when it’s so corporate in certain areas. There needs to be an adjustment that is win-win for all. 

the tailgating thing? i bet it started out as friends meeting for a picnic before the game. i think it is a bad look to make folks pay for that but i bet just about all colleges do it.i probably would dot my britches if i knew how much some folks sped each year on home games anyway. i am thankful we can watch most games without paying other than a cable bill. but one day games will be a pay for view. i doubt i live to see it but it is coming. and to me it defeats the purpose of the games for the most part.

The only gripe I really have coaching wise is that if I never see another corner fade on goal line downs, it will be too soon.

Whatever they're seeing in practice is a mirage and we just need to throw that play in the trash, light it on fire, and cover it up with concrete.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

perhaps we are seeing more Auburn fans coming back to tailgate with out new head coach in town.

That's me!

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I felt really honored to be in the same stadium as him.

This!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

The only gripe I really have coaching wise is that if I never see another corner fade on goal line downs, it will be too soon.

Whatever they're seeing in practice is a mirage and we just need to throw that play in the trash, light it on fire, and cover it up with concrete.

I think that is more about the qb’s decision than anything else.  Like the fade to the te in the end zone.   The te was clearing out the underneath to the rb who was wide open for an easy touchdown and a much less difficult completion but our qb chose to make the difficult throw instead.

Edited by auburnphan
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

thanks abw i enjoy your posts after the game. when i was in my twenties there was no such grumbling concerning new coaches. and harsin is having to do a complete rebuild and it is often painful and frustrating.when dye left terry was left with a damn good team. while we have talent it is not in the basic things like lines and such  and it is killling us. and i thought our strength and conditioning guy was state of the art but it seems this is part of our problems as well.  i still love my team and that will never change.i can see why kids love pearl so much. he knows how to win and all that entails but he also knows how to have fun. and all the money for tailgating plus game tickets and all the other expenses combined i cannot see how people can afford to come to games.. anyway i believe better days are ahead we just have to be patient.

My understanding is that Ryan Russell is a top-notch S&C coach, but, like with so many other things in the program, Gus had a vision for what he wanted in OL to fit his plan of going hurry—up on offense - leaner guys with more endurance rather than big road graders.  Since  Gus was the boss, Russell had to do as he was told in developing the players.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, triangletiger said:

My understanding is that Ryan Russell is a top-notch S&C coach, but, like with so many other things in the program, Gus had a vision for what he wanted in OL to fit his plan of going hurry—up on offense - leaner guys with more endurance rather than big road graders.  Since  Gus was the boss, Russell had to do as he was told in developing the players.

I am really disappointed we did not keep Russell.  He is one of the best at what he does.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, triangletiger said:

That's not really my understanding of S&C under Russell at all. Gus may have had a vision (as all head coaches do), but Ryan Russell was free to implement a program that was custom designed not only by position but by individual player. AU's players were as strong, fast and well conditioned as any. What Russell didn't do was go for "muscle beach" bulk. That stuff looks impressive, but it's mostly worthless on a football field. Just my two cents...

On 10/11/2021 at 3:44 PM, auburnphan said:

I think that is more about the qb’s decision than anything else.  Like the fade to the te in the end zone.   The te was clearing out the underneath to the rb who was wide open for an easy touchdown and a much less difficult completion but our qb chose to make the difficult throw instead.

He didn’t have time to look at others with a DB in his face 

I remember in the far distant past of 2010 when me and my buddies would take lawn chairs, traffic pylons, a cooler, a roll of tape, and a football to the lot on Roosevelt at 2pm on Friday and claim parking spots for Saturday morning tailgating purposes. I miss the old days. 

• Like 2

The white tailgate tent setups at the AU Hotel & Conference Center are part of the University Parking system and not Tailgate Guys.  Same principal, but separate entities.  We have one of the six spots and I purchased it while searching for AU parking.  AU Hotel provides catering options with a discount, 2 parking places, and security.  We don't get all the other tailgate catering options that Tailgate Guys has available, but we bring our own stuff anyways.  I do like having use of the hotel restrooms and the security is nice having someone watch your stuff while you go to the game.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tigger1985 said:

He didn’t have time to look at others with a DB in his face 

A couple of things here.  Hunter was absolutely in his periphery, first of all.  Second, now if the corner is blitzing from that side and the safety takes the tight end, where is your check down that you should know?