2023 Discussion Thread

Zeek

2023 4-star OT Clay Wedin visits Auburn, plans to return

Jeffrey Lee•about 1 hour

Four-star offensive tackle Clay Wedin on Friday returned to Auburn for an unofficial visit.

It was Wedin’s second trip to Auburn. His first came in November for the Iron Bowl.

“The visit went really well,” Wedin said. “I was really impressed with everything I saw. We did a tour of the current athletic facilities and saw what they are building and will be finishing up this June for their new facility. I can’t wait to see what that looks like.”

Wedin, from Carrollwood Day in Tampa, Fla., arrived in Auburn Friday afternoon and stayed until the evening. During his visit, he met extensively with Auburn offensive line coach Will Friend.

“I got to sit down and talk over some technique with him,” Wedin said. “I feel like he is a really good coach and could develop me. Overall, he knows how to develop offensive linemen and get them into the league, and not only get them there, but keep them there.”

Wedin impressed with culture at Auburn

Wedin also saw first-hand the culture second-year coach Bryan Harsin is building at Auburn.

“Culture is also important to me and I’m really impressed with what Coach Harsin is doing,” Wedin said. “He’s still building it, but I’m impressed with what he’s done so far.”

Wedin already plans to return for a third trip.

“I will most definitely be back to Auburn at some point,” Wedin said. “The campus is beautiful. I really like some of the development I’ve seen from Auburn.

“I feel like their offense translates well to the NFL. That’s important to me because the NFL is my goal. It would make it an easier transition for me if I’m blessed enough to get the opportunity.”

Wedin is the No. 15 offensive tackle and No. 317 overall recruit in the 2023 class, according to the On3 Consensus, a complete and equally-weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies.

Wedin will be at Alabama’s Junior Day on Saturday.

We had some good players there today and they seemed to like us especially some of the trench types now we need to seal the deal. I hope they all got to see the Auburn OK game and see the JUNGLE.

• Like 3

Insiders opinion on our Jr Day.

Not good. I liked the prospects that were there, but the lack of instate talent who attended was troublesome. It’s still early so it’s not defcon 1, but I was hoping for a better turnout.

Didn't we have our Jr Day the same day as Alabama's.  I guess that's why.  I never understood why we'd try to compete with them on these types of weekends and also A-Day.  It's not about backing down to them, it's just about reading the room and giving us the best chance. Idk

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Insiders opinion on our Jr Day.

Didn't we have our Jr Day the same day as Alabama's.  I guess that's why.  I never understood why we'd try to compete with them on these types of weekends and also A-Day.  It's not about backing down to them, it's just about reading the room and giving us the best chance. Idk

Didn’t know it was the same day as Bama but just confirmed. That makes no sense to me. And it was the same story with the big recruiting weekend last fall. Just doesn’t seem smart. 

• Thanks 1
  • Angry 2

4 hours ago, Paladin said:

I wonder if he camped with us or how we got onto this guy...probably an interesting story.  East St Louis - he could be one heck of a nasty OL.   Wouldn't that be great to land him?

42 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I wonder if he camped with us or how we got onto this guy...probably an interesting story.  East St Louis - he could be one heck of a nasty OL.   Wouldn't that be great to land him?

That’s a big man.  Definitely a priority position so that’s a yes for me.

According to a couple posts on another site, we had at least 2 sign. not sure why it's not being reported here.

Mac McClinton - Safety

Paul Thompson - DB

On 1/30/2022 at 7:20 PM, cbo said:

Didn’t know it was the same day as Bama but just confirmed. That makes no sense to me. And it was the same story with the big recruiting weekend last fall. Just doesn’t seem smart. 

Plain and simple, it's NOT smart.  Whoever organizes and plans these things for Harsin should be finding a job elsewhere in the AD.  Why did Harsin approve this? Or his recruiting coordinator?  

Baffling to me that our people actually think it's a good idea to go head to head with uat on important recruiting dates. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

So we didn't get anybody today? Amazing and sad.

Missouri is beating us in recruiting...MISSOURI! 

Hopefully we're done with all the changes and can get on firm ground and move forward. We have a lot of work to do on and off the field. Time for everyone to earn their paycheck.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, AUFiend said:

According to a couple posts on another site, we had at least 2 sign. not sure why it's not being reported here.

Mac McClinton - Safety

Paul Thompson - DB

These guys are not scholarship signees.

I think they are both PWOs....

• Like 2

Going forward from here:   AU can look any prospect (high school, junior college, portal) straight in the eye and tell them (with complete honesty) that AU can offer early 'Playing Time'. Hell, the way things are going, they may have to play whether they want to, are ready to, or are physically ready to play. wde

2 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Plain and simple, it's NOT smart.  Whoever organizes and plans these things for Harsin should be finding a job elsewhere in the AD.  Why did Harsin approve this? Or his recruiting coordinator?  

Baffling to me that our people actually think it's a good idea to go head to head with uat on important recruiting dates. 

Exactly, this is the most basic stuff. Any small organization could do a better job planning. 

34 minutes ago, cbo said:

Exactly, this is the most basic stuff. Any small organization could do a better job planning. 

Really, it depends. If AU scheduled their day after uat, I agree wholeheartedly. On the other hand, if AU scheduled their day first, the argument doesn't hold water. I have no idea what happened, but neither option would surprise me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

These guys are not scholarship signees.

I think they are both PWOs....

All good, just reporting what i saw elsewhere in response to what someone asked. I have no clue and i'm not close to being an expert on these matters.

21 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

So we didn't get anybody today? Amazing and sad.

Makes one wonder if the Staff has just quit.

No back ups what so ever, and no HS Linemen.

This is worse than Gus and adding on the optics...ugh

• Like 1